GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme 1997 (Toyo Observe G02+)... and after that i got a Pontiac Montana in 2002 (Michelin X-Ice)... I was not concerned about that. I was thinkin it was normal for abs system to work that way... But after that i had a Nissan Maxima 2006 (Toyo Garrit KX) and it was braking very well on the ice/snow... Now with my Terrain equipped with Blizzak DM-V1 winter tires, yesterday i was at the grocerie and when i tried to stop when exiting the parking lot i heard the system working but i was going and going... i didnt feel at all the braking system trying to stop my Terrain... It finally stopped but.... waaaaay too far. Before someone ask... i was going very slow as we are supposed to go when driving in a parking lot. About 10kph (about 6 mph).

What do you think about GM ABS System ??? Does it do something or just noise ???

I think it's more dangerous than practical in the case of GM cars....

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't believe the ABS is really going to help stopping (may actually increase stopping distance) but it should help in maintaining control (help preventing uncontroled skids)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are right but it's supposed to help stopping the car too...

Why does my Maxima was keeping me straight while stopping the car ?

I think that gm's system is not the best we can found...

I was hoping for improvement since my 1997 and 2002 gm cars....

·
Registered
107 Posts
People drive at 10 kph in parking lots in Quebec? Where, I have not seen this since I have lived here! :) Just kidding. Mine seem OK, I feel the pulse and the wheels don't lock up in a skid. I am very happy so far with the Terrain in the Montreal winter road conditions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find that the ABS does a very good job of letting me maintain directional control.
I always understood that the reason for ABS was to allow me to continue to steer the vehicle while applying maximum brakeing force not to create any kind of shorter stopping distances. Nissan must have some kind of black magic that lets their cars stop shorter while releasing and reapplying brakeing force.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe just a little better technology...

Go make a try and you'll see what i mean... You can't talk until you try it.

GMCdriver said:
I find that the ABS does a very good job of letting me maintain directional control.
I always understood that the reason for ABS was to allow me to continue to steer the vehicle while applying maximum brakeing force not to create any kind of shorter stopping distances. Nissan must have some kind of black magic that lets their cars stop shorter while releasing and reapplying brakeing force.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ABS doesnt let you stop sooner on ice, it just allows you to maintain control. If the wheels lock up and skid one inch its very hard to regain control until youve stopped sliding or you run off the ice.

The ABS does kick in often on ice but Id rather it be working too much than too little. Ive still yet to have it kick in on dry roads and Ive really tried. Even on wet roads its been pretty hard to get it to kick in.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i understand , you all prefer NO BRAKES AT ALL on ice ?

I am sorry but i prefer by far the Nissan system for the ABS... At least... IT STOP THE CAR and it keeps control !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No one is saying to not use the brakes so stop trying to be so dramatic.

Have you ever used the DMV1 tires before? How hard were you on the brakes?

Also, for the record, Ive driven my mother in laws 09 Rogue in the ice and it fairs no better. ABS kicks in and you kind of just slide slowly to a stop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ABS is only to maintain your direction & NOT for helping you to stop. I also have DM V1 & I encounter the ABS is working when I turn right on an icy road with a little hitting on my brake.
Note: Don’t hit your brake too much on icy road because if you do that your vehicle will spin or it will slide forward whatever tires you have & I know you know that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What your are talking about is the Stabilitrak when turning... ABS prevent a wheel from blocking... So... when your on ice your car just don't brake since all 4 wheels will block !

My Nissan was able to prevent my car from gliding oud of control and was able to stop the car. That's the point i'm bringing here.

GM on ice : we hear the abs system working... trying wheel 1..2..3..4..1....... keeping the good direction but the car doesnt stop...

My Nissan : hear the system working... and stop the car...

What is the need for ice tires with an abs system that doesnt try to stop the car ???

TerrainSLT2 said:
ABS is only to maintain your direction & NOT for helping you to stop. I also have DM V1 & I encounter the ABS is working when I turn right on an icy road with a little hitting on my brake.
Note: Don’t hit your brake too much on icy road because if you do that your vehicle will spin or it will slide forward whatever tires you have & I know you know that.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Yes you are right but it's supposed to help stopping the car too...

Why does my Maxima was keeping me straight while stopping the car ?

I think that gm's system is not the best we can found...

I was hoping for improvement since my 1997 and 2002 gm cars....
You do realize that your Terrain weighs almost 900lbs more than than the 97 Maxima you used to have? Simple physics are at work when it comes to stopping distances no matter if it's snow, ice or dry pavement.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 2006 maxima that was 3500 pounds and my terrain is 4000 pound. There is a 500 pounds difference not 900.

But that doesnt justify that the abs DOESNT STOP the car when on icy road.

And for your physics re do your homeworks. It's all matter to the brakes/tires, a heavier car can take less distance to stop than a lighter car.

It is simple, all i say is that the Nissan's ABS system is BETTER than the GM's one.

NoobNox said:
You do realize that your Terrain weighs almost 900lbs more than than the 97 Maxima you used to have? Simple physics are at work when it comes to stopping distances no matter if it's snow, ice or dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
And for your physics re do your homeworks. It's all matter to the brakes/tires, a heavier car car take less distance to stop than a lighter car.
Huh?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry... my mistake... keyboard error...

It's all matter to the brakes/tires, a heavier car CAN take less distance to stop than a lighter car.

bballr4567 said:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think actual conditions may come into play also. Zero degree F old ice with some age and traffic will provide more grip then 30 degree F ice that may have some water on it (good luck in this case unless you have studded tires)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes i agree, i didnt say the opposite.

Terra-Nox said:
I think actual conditions may come into play also. Zero degree F old ice with some age and traffic will provide more grip then 30 degree F ice that may have some water on it (good luck in this case unless you have studded tires)

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I had a 2006 maxima that was 3500 pounds and my terrain is 4000 pound. There is a 500 pounds difference not 900.
FYI - The NYS Registration weight on my '98 Maxima (just about the same as a '96) is 2901, while my LTZ Equinox is 3767 - a difference of 866 lbs - FWIW. Diidn't realize the Maxima was so light - no wonder it is very quick !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
What your are talking about is the Stabilitrak when turning... ABS prevent a wheel from blocking... So... when your on ice your car just don't brake since all 4 wheels will block !

My Nissan was able to prevent my car from gliding oud of control and was able to stop the car. That's the point i'm bringing here.

GM on ice : we hear the abs system working... trying wheel 1..2..3..4..1....... keeping the good direction but the car doesnt stop...

My Nissan : hear the system working... and stop the car...

What is the need for ice tires with an abs system that doesnt try to stop the car ???
If it will make you feel better,, park the GM for the winter and drive your wonderful Nissan Zoom Zoom

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know how to read ?? 2006[/color] Maxima is 3500 pounds !

RIT333 said:
FYI - The NYS Registration weight on my '98 Maxima (just about the same as a '96) is 2901, while my LTZ Equinox is 3767 - a difference of 866 lbs - FWIW. Diidn't realize the Maxima was so light - no wonder it is very quick !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts