GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what I am getting from reading all of these posts is that I just wasted my money on a car that I thought would be easier to maintain and have less problems than my Durango did? Great! I thought GMC was supposed to be better than Dodge! I guess another thing I can tell my husband I was right about ;D We have had the 2010 Terrian SLT-2 for less than a week and I can see that it is just a problem after problem that we are going to have...

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
lishtals said:
So what I am getting from reading all of these posts is that I just wasted my money on a car that I thought would be easier to maintain and have less problems than my Durango did? Great! I thought GMC was supposed to be better than Dodge! I guess another thing I can tell my husband I was right about ;D We have had the 2010 Terrian SLT-2 for less than a week and I can see that it is just a problem after problem that we are going to have...
Maybe your dealer will let you get out of the deal, and get your Dodge back. What are the other problems that you are having beside the Nav and Clock ? Both of those can be fixed by getting a watch and a Garmin. Or, the Garmin can serve both purposes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone know exactly what part of the system is the defective part? Is it the control panel? Radio? Screen?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
lishtals said:
There you go Thinking again..

·
Registered
119 Posts
poppabusa said:
Does anyone know exactly what part of the system is the defective part? Is it the control panel? Radio? Screen?
It's the entire unit. I had to have mine replaced a few weeks back. Thankfully my GM Extended Major Guard warranty covered it. Radio #3240840 and the tech told me it was around $1800

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Jeez, $1800??
If my OEM radio goes out, I'm putting in an aftermarket radio. Even a fancy $500 aftermarket radio would be cheaper, have more features, and probably be more reliable!

·
Registered
50 Posts
mrgto455 said:
It's the entire unit. I had to have mine replaced a few weeks back. Thankfully my GM Extended Major Guard warranty covered it. Radio #3240840 and the tech told me it was around $1800
Is #3240840 the part number? When I search for that part number I get nothing. Would a radio from a newer model work?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hear every one complain about GM and I am not defending them but I owned a bmw x3 and had to have the high priced radio replaced also. I had so many problems with that car I traded it for the equinox LTZ. all these car manufactures are have problems... So I would rather stay with an american company.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the clock not presenting the correct hour? The minutes are correct. We started by having the clock adjust for DST, but it didn't do it on the proper weekend. The time would be off by an hour for a few weeks, then correct itself. This happened both times of the year when the clocks adjust. The last time change gave us a new problem. We are now 5 hours off, with no corrections since DST weekend.

We are also having the same problems as others.
DC, Agree, Not remembering preset destinations, losing the preset stations frequently.

In addition, our remote start quit working, the heat/ac system doesn't always work without rotating the temp knob up and down, it goes to the nav screen upon starting, have to press radio to get the radio to work.

Took it to the dealer to have it worked on and we were over warranty on the miles, but not the term length, so they wouldn't fix it. Recommended replacing the nav system for $2000 to try to fix it. I thought the electronics should last at least the 2 year warranty period.

Seems like the car is slowly giving up electronically.

Not sure if I want to invest big bucks to get the nav system going again. :confused and very disappointed
Wound not recommend the nav system

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree. I had similar problems. The clock is off one hour - after I correct it, it goes back to the wrong time when I restart the car. GPS always starts in Washington DC - always. CD player always starts at the first track when I restart the car - always. It's maddening when you are on track 10 or 20 or 30 etc and then it always goes back to track 1 when you restart the car. I have CD's that I haven't heard the whole disk yet. I've quit using the GPS and bring my Garmin motorcycle unit with me when I need to set a course.
I've had the car into the dealer numerous times for the oil/fuel problem and this one. They did some kind of update, but it always goes right back after a week or so.
I now have a rust problem on the inside bottom of the drivers door along the weld - never ever had that problem before on any car.
Not only would I not recommend the nav system, but I wouldn't recommend the Terrain either. Out of the 11 or 13 cars I've owned this is the worst one I've ever had. Maybe I just bought the wrong Terrain - if I had bought another one at a later time, I may not have had any of these problems. My other gripe, I don't know if it is a problem or just the nature of the beast, buy I hate the stalling when I let off the gas and then on it again quickly. Dealer said that "IS NORMAL" for that transmission. I almost had an accident twice because of that momentary stalling. Other then these problems everything else is working perfectly.
I've had problems with cars in the past, but they we always taken care of - eventually. What upsets me the most now is the dealer/mfg experience - everything I have problems with they say "Oh, that's normal" or "That's within specs" BS, every oil analysis I've had done say my oil problem is a big problem, but, oh no, not GM.

Sorry I brought this up again. :beer:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got mine replaced last week, I had. The software patch applied 4 times, no luck, the car is coing off warrenty in 6 months somimwanted it fixed before then, so far so good

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a used 2010 Terrain SLT V6 with 105K miles and it has the full Nav/DVD system etc.
I discovered the radio/nav is having the same problems as mentioned in this thread and many others. The previous owner apparently didn't get it fixed.

I think my only option is to have a dealer replace the radio and don't waste time with trying to have it reprogrammed: cost $1500 to $2000??

Has anyone found a more economical way to get the radio replaced in an older Terrain?

The application version is U306 and database version is V20.09.03

Thanks

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Many that have the factory Nav have ditched it, and gone with an aftermarket portable unit like a Garmin. There is a convenient location for it by the CD player.

But, it you have to have a factory unit, you may try a salvage yard or EBay, but it will still be several times more expensive than a good Garmin, and you will have Lifetime Map updates with many Garmins. I like my Garmin, but I was too cheap to go with OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rit - I have a Garmin with lifetime updates from my previous car but may not need it after all.
GM just issued a recall for this problem 3 days ago.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
ljaxn said:
Rit - I have a Garmin with lifetime updates from my previous car but may not need it after all.
GM just issued a recall for this problem 3 days ago.
Fantastic ! Many (all) Nav owners will have a Merry Christmas with GM owning up to their mistakes. Any info for those that have not gotten the info yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I contacted GMC about it and was told it is a CSP "Customer Satisfaction Program" and to take it to a dealer. So I have an appointment Tuesday next week and will follow up with the results.
BTW - I found out about this by registering my Terrain at the web site "https://my.gmc.com" and entering my VIN and there you can search for any recalls etc. Nothing was sent to me in the mail. I would recommend anyone else to do the same for their Terrain's.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is fantastic news. What years ? Is 2010 included?
Now if only the fuel/oil problem was taken care of I'd be ecstatic. :banana:

I was going to say a cheaper way to replace the radio is to have someone steal it.....unless you have a very high deductible. :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
After getting a new radio installed, I was able to get a free trial of SirusXM as the radio ID Was different, XM showed that it came feom a 2010 Chevy Equinox

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally after a couple years I received a service bulletin letter from GM today. I still love the car but have been disappointed with the radio not working properly. I'm happy I no longer have to pay out of pocket to repair this. I'm looking forward to a working clock ;)

"We have learned that your 2010 model year gmc Terrain equipped with a navigation radio may experience various performance issues including clock inaccuracy, navigation route resets , loss of radio station presets, and time-shift malfunction (link). In General these conditions are not evident with new radios, although they develop over time with normal radio usage.

Your satisfaction with your terrain is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

WHAT WE WILL DO: Your gmc dealer will inspect and, if necessary reprogram your vehicles radio-control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge until FEB 28, 2017. After that the cost of this repair will be covered, if at all by any applicable warranty"

101 - 120 of 127 Posts