GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted recently and received some very good advice about getting xm, after the 3 month free trial was up..........but, it's not working the way I thought it would.

First of all, I was not bombarded with emails, and such, to continue to receive the service. I got just one email. So, it was on my OnStar report that told me that my xm would expire on June 8th. I was on vacation in Vegas then (seeing the fabulous Paul McCartney at the MGM) and when I returned home on June 11th, my xm radio was gone.

I just got off the phone with an xm person. It is going to cost me $15.00, just to re-activate my account. Then it is going to cost me $11.99, each month. I told the woman that I could not afford this, and could she waive the re-activating cost, as I was out of the state, at the time. She would not do that for me.

How do I go about getting the $77.00 deal......the 1/2 off deal, that some of you guys have received? And I noticed that some of you said to not give your credit card info over the phone, so how did you end up doing this?

Frustrated, as usual. But grateful for any and all advice.
Sue

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only time I extended my XM I said if I could get the 1/2 price deal, I would take it for a year, otherwise just let it run out. They used to call it zwinback offer but I don't know if that still works or not. It can not hurt to try it. Call them and ask for it, what's the worst that can happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yes......I recently played their game. Was also told the $15 fee was a legit fee and could not be waived :shrug:

Then I recieved another letter with a better offer and called them. Seems like they outsource their call center at times. Its funny, it depends on who you speak with. :banghead: I was able to get them to refund the $15 and give me a much better deal....

Asking to speak with a supervisor has always helped me with most phone sales situations....Simply tell them you are on a forum that has tons of chevy owners sharing information.. If they give a special deal to one, they should come arround and give it to you as well. ;D

BTW, I recently noticed a couple of stations with ADVERTISING :angryfire: wtf thought we were paying for commercial free (no, this wasn't a sindicated channel)

Hold out is my advice....Good luck and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yes, please refrain from giving credit card info. They will send you an invoice.

It is my experience with subscriptions, if they have a credit card on file, they can just charge the card going forward....(possibly something about not informing them of not continuing service)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just call them back and ask the same questions over again. It might take a couple tries, but you should get a better deal. Here is how mine went down:

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=2217.0

Don't be afraid to say "no thanks" and call right back. They have dozens, if not hundreds of phone rep's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just started my 5th year at the $77 "special" rate. (plus royalty fee and $2 paper invoice). Just tell them that your brother got the deal so why not you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My experience was like that of sunnysue. I called before it expired. Said I had a discount code and was told I couldn't use it. Was told I would have to wait until I got a letter with a different discount code. I have only received one letter asking me to renew and it was at list price. I've received no emails and no letters so my XM exired on June 11th. My boss just renewed his and was offered the $77 deal. He took it for 3 years and they charge his CC $77 every month for 3 months until the total is paid. I wnat to renew but will not at list price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My XM just expired on June 11th, also. I received two or three letters asking me to renew at list price, but no emails or anything else offering a discount. I'm not sure if I would renew anyway, even at the $77 rate (should I ever get such an offer), but I am sure not going to at full price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just called them at 800-547-8118. Told the woman I wanted to renew if the price was right and that my boss just renewed at $77 a year for two years at that price. She said she would honor that discount price but only for one year; never ask me any promo code. Said it would automatically renew one year later for the full price unless I canceled. Wanted my cc# but I told her I wanted to be invoiced. She said okay for a $2 fee that my renewal letter talked about. She never mentioned anything about the $15 re-activation fee. I ask when the radio would work again and she said what time will you be in the car? Gave her a time and she said I needed to tune to channel 1 for 2-3 minutes and it would work again. Total price with taxes and fees was $85.32. The woman I dealt with was very nice; wish I would have called this number last week before the account expired and I had a 3 hour drive. At least I had tunes on a thumbdive to listen to. I'll call again a year from now and try to get the same discount. I think the first number I called was a third party selling subscriptions and didn't have the authority to offer discounts.

·
Registered
978 Posts
sunnysue said:
Frustrated, as usual. But grateful for any and all advice.
Sue
We did not renew...but just an FYI...the one email we received OFFERED the 1/2 price $77.00 deal

Have to agree with the other posters...call and speak to someone "bigger"...LOL

and as far as the "reconnect fee"...no way jose

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have two (2) Sirius accounts; XM in my 'Nox expired on June 9th. Yesterday, much to my surprise, my phone rings while I'm driving (the 'Nox assigned telephone number via OnStar) and its XM asking 'why' I didn't continue with their service. The XM rep was shady, at best; telling me 'if I knew of' any deals I could ask for them but he wouldn't offer me anything other than XM's standard renewal rate (yet he called ME, in MY car)! I know of the 5-month for $20 and annual renewal for $77 but I still declined both discounted offers. For now, I'm enjoying streaming CNN, my music, etc. via Pandora, Digital Radio, and a few other Apps on my iPhone. Its not the most efficient means to listen (I have to hook-up the phone, launch the desired App, etc) but once connected its flawless. Thought I'd experiment going this route for a while as I already have two Sirius accounts and I've never been pleased with the sound quality of satellite radio nor their smarmy customer service tactics (see above). I had no idea GM (OnStar) gave-out the vehicle's assigned number for telemarketing purposes. Has me wondering who else has the 'Nox telephone number (I don't know it, unless I look it up)! But for those of you wanting to renew, the two offers above are current; all depends on the XM rep on the other end of call willing to 'play' to get your business. As MOCHA said, reconnection fee...nada. Don't pay it. To me, Sirius/XM's sound quality is awful, their customer service antics are sub-par, and its hardly commercial-free anymore. But the deals are there....for the asking. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't want to thread jack, what are using to stream to car Bluetooth or USB?

·
Registered
157 Posts
ArizonaNOX said:
I had no idea GM (OnStar) gave-out the vehicle's assigned number for telemarketing purposes. Has me wondering who else has the 'Nox telephone number (I don't know it, unless I look it up)!
I have had Onstar in 7 vehicles and have never received a phone call from XM, or any other telemarketer via the Onstar phone on the car. I have heard it happen to other people though. Funny, XM has never called me on any phone when any of my trial periods expired - just lots of snail mail.

If you read the Onstar privacy notice - it states that they do not share your information with third parties - but:

"We may also share information we collect about you or your car with the following (this does not include the sharing of the location or speed of your car, or your safety belt usage or credit card information):

.....your satellite radio provider and our wireless service providers, to enable them to contact you with important information about your satellite or wireless services or for marketing purposes; ......"

Most people do not read privacy notices due to the legalese and length of them, but with the proliferation of technology, it looks like it is becoming a necessity. You can opt out of them sharing your information - also stated in their privacy policy:

"If you would like to limit the permitted uses or disclosures of your personal information (other than those required or permitted by law) or would like further information, you may contact us by pressing the blue button in your car, or by calling 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827)."

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a pretty good relationship with my sales person, I came back in to the dealership shortly before my XM was about to expire with my VIN and he called OnStar, talked for a few and put me on the phone to get the $77 deal. Most people don't think about it but the salesman (if he/she is a good one) will be there for you after the sale as well. That is one of GM's "Please buy from us again" campaigns. Besides, if they aren't busy when you go in or you schedule an appointment, why wouldn't they help you? Most likely you will be back in a couple years and unless you absolutely hate the car (which begs the question, "why did you buy it in the first place?") you will most likely go back to him/her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
I have had Onstar in 7 vehicles and have never received a phone call from XM, or any other telemarketer via the Onstar phone on the car. I have heard it happen to other people though. Funny, XM has never called me on any phone when any of my trial periods expired - just lots of snail mail.

If you read the Onstar privacy notice - it states that they do not share your information with third parties - but:

"We may also share information we collect about you or your car with the following (this does not include the sharing of the location or speed of your car, or your safety belt usage or credit card information):

.....your satellite radio provider and our wireless service providers, to enable them to contact you with important information about your satellite or wireless services or for marketing purposes; ......"

Most people do not read privacy notices due to the legalese and length of them, but with the proliferation of technology, it looks like it is becoming a necessity. You can opt out of them sharing your information - also stated in their privacy policy:

"If you would like to limit the permitted uses or disclosures of your personal information (other than those required or permitted by law) or would like further information, you may contact us by pressing the blue button in your car, or by calling 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827)."
DONE! Just called OnStar; they claim to have deleted my name and vehicle's number from their 3rd party (shared customer) database. And I agree fully with your comment, above....with the proliferation of technology....reading these policies is important. Likely I'll do it in the future? Heck No. For the very reasons you outlined. But your point is spot-on. Only myself to blame here out!

Being new to OnStar, I find it comical that my car - of all things! - has an assigned telephone number unknown to me (I know how to look it up) and I'm getting marketing call(s) to that number. The possibility of that happening never occurred to me! And I'm a self-described techie; newest-latest- fastest gadget, I gotta have it. ;D Tech is my crack. As such, I'd better read-up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sburngasser said:
Don't want to thread jack, what are using to stream to car Bluetooth or USB?
USB that came w/ iPhone. I had an extra one laying around. Stays plugged-in inside center console of Nox. CNN and related news/talk channels may sound tinny, at times; music and related audio sounds F-A-R better than my experience with XM. No reception problems, either; haven't experienced a weak/dropped signal using Pandora, Digitial Radio or Jango.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ArizonaNOX said:
DONE! Just called OnStar; they claim to have deleted my name and vehicle's number from their 3rd party (shared customer) database. And I agree fully with your comment, above....with the proliferation of technology....reading these policies is important. Likely I'll do it in the future? Heck No. For the very reasons you outlined. But your point is spot-on. Only myself to blame here out!

Being new to OnStar, I find it comical that my car - of all things! - has an assigned telephone number unknown to me (I know how to look it up) and I'm getting marketing call(s) to that number. The possibility of that happening never occurred to me! And I'm a self-described techie; newest-latest- fastest gadget, I gotta have it. ;D Tech is my crack. As such, I'd better read-up!
I used to never read them either until I started to see message postings similar to yours.

Onstar gave me my phone number when the selling dealer did the initial OnStar call when I picked up the vehicle. Of course, since most people don't call me on that number - I don't remember it either.

On the subject of XM - I treaded into dangerous territory with their customer service last week on my two new vehicles. I already had an XM account (I have a portable XMp3i unit) but when the dealer set up the trials on the two new vehicles, they ended up on two additional separate accounts.

When I called to get the half price deal on the Terrain, where the trial had expired, I had no problem getting the deal. But then the customer service person asked me about deals they had on non-car based XM units. I said I already had another account with an XMp3i on it - and he said "why didn't you tell me - I can combine the accounts". I was nervous - but he did it. Then I asked about my Regal which was 3 weeks from the free trial ending - he said "yes, I will give you the half price deal now and combine it onto your main account".

I fully expected it to get all botched up and get charged full price for 3 new radios - but it all went through just fine and everything is great and on one account. I probably just used up all of my "good" experiences with XM customer service on that one call for the next 3 years ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts