GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I changed the dirty air filter in my g/f's 2009 Equinox this past weekend, and replaced with a new K&N drop in filter for the vehicle, and 2 days after, she got a CEL with a "Fuel Bank 1 Lean" code. This says to me obviously the engine is running lean, but I don't understand why? I checked the filter housing, clamps, connections, etc and everything seems snug and fine. Would this be related to the new filter, or a different problem? I cleared the code once already, and it came back on.

Any suggestions or insight?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Getting a "Engine Running Lean" code after installing K&N Air Filter

Put an OEM filter in and see if it comes back?

·
Registered
977 Posts

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low.

·
Registered
12 Posts

If it's only affecting one bank, it's probably not the new air filter; at least, not directly. It's possible that the old air cleaner, by not passing as much air, was masking a problem with fuel delivery that goes to that bank. You might have a fuel rail clogged. I like the idea of throwing the oem cleaner back in. Depending on how dirty the old one had been, a new oem filter might cause the same issue. If you have the old one still around, I'd try that. If it still throws the code, your MAF may be corrupted. If not, it might be a fuel clog.

·
Registered
673 Posts

reset the computer by unplugging the battery for a few hours.

Hopefully it will relearn the Air/Fuel mix, etc... worth a try and not cost you anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts