GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My Girl Friend is planning on buying a 2011 Chevy Equinox either this month or next month. I've read a lot of good consumer reports, but I know that you get the real story from the REAL users. So can you guys/gals let me know of any possible issues we may see with a new Equinox? She's also considering a 2011 Nissan Altima (That's what I want her to get)

In addition, I read about this Dexos oil issue. From what I understand is that you have to use this specific oil every time you have an oil change or else you void your warranty? Is this true? Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2011 Equinox with what engine?

Im sure you have seen the issue some have had with the I-4 engine...hit or miss..

I have the Terrain, and other than the issues with the engine, I love it! great looking interior, thats comfy, handles nice..looks good..

yep to the Dexos..its a synthetic blend oil..when I first got my car GM didnt even have the oil out yet!....but you will find lots of blends or full synthetic that are Dexos approved.

·
Registered
949 Posts
After the large amount of people have come forward about their 2011 4 cyl problems, I would avoid the 2011 4 cyl like the plague. If she want's the 2011, go for the 6 cyl. So far, the 2012 4 cyl's haven't had the same problems.

I don't care if the dealer says that "THIS" 2011 4 cyl is picture perfect, it wouldn't be the first time, I would avoid it at all costs.

My name is Summer. I own a 4 cyl 2011. GM agreed this week to replace mine with a 2012 because of mechanical issues that can not be corrected. I speak from both personal experience, and the experience of others.

Otherwise, they are great cars, I love mine - besides the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the steering feeling like it sticks a little when driving down the highway? Its weird you will be driving and the steering like sticks for just a split second.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love my Nox, I'm on my second I had a 2010 i4 fwd. I traded it a coulpe of weeks ago for a 2012 i4 AWD. Most comfortable car I have ever owned. The 2010 had some issues with the nav (they were fixed by a couple of firmware updates). And an intermittent issues with the drivers door speaker. Other then that the cars was flawless for 33k miles. Mpg was ok but I do a ton a city driving and piss away a lot of gas (remote starting, and eating in the car with the engine on).

I traded it because don't want to own any car not covered by warranty. And being a hardware store owner if it snows I still have to go to work so I wanted the extra insurance of AWD.

·
Registered
949 Posts
raxelgun said:
Has anyone had any problems with the steering feeling like it sticks a little when driving down the highway? Its weird you will be driving and the steering like sticks for just a split second.
I've seen others comment on that around here. I think that may have happened to me just a few times on the highway, but it wasn't for very long or anything, just a split second. Almost just long enough to make me think I was imagining it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
raxelgun said:
I have that same sticky feeling. Just started about 3 weeks ago, but has got a little worse to a more jerky response now.
It is to the point it is a constant irritation now.
I was just thinking of calling the dealer and setting up an appointment so I can get the same "Operating per designed intent" answer.....
Then I will repair it myself, as I have done with the rest of my issues.

I will also get them to replace the dash storage compartment lid that no longer works.

Will let you know what the dealer says if I can get an appointment before Christmas.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, I should have explained what type. She test drove one this weekend and loved it. However it was an I-4, basically an 2011 Equinox LS version. That's the cheapest version of the car/suv right?

So there's a lot of people having issues with the I-4? That's the main reason why she wants the Equinox, bigger car and gas saving. BTW, I'm hearing that the gas savings/mileage is a big miss also?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If she wants an equinox/terrain, go for the 3.0L V6. The gas mileage impact is minimal, and it is much more powerful, without any real problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have the V-6 with AWD, now with 10K miles:
Dislikes/problems:
1. Poor visibility to the front due to extra wide roof supports. (Many close calls at turns/intersections.)
2. Layout of heater/AC controls not good.
3. Engine sometimes stalls when driving at low speeds and then accelerating.
4. Fuel economy disappointing. (24 mpg highway is the best)(my Corvette w/400hp gets almost 30mpg)
5. Heater/AC does not always function properly, especially when cold.
1. Rides and handles beautifully. Brakes very good.
2. Seat heaters are the best.
3. Leg room for both front and rear seats are great.
4. Audio system great.
5. Excellent support in driver seat (I haven't tried the others).
6. Ability to order the exact options/colors etc that you want.
Would I buy another?
1. Maybe
2. I would do more looking at other brands. (I did a lot before this purchase, but not everything.)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
24 MPG!! with a V6 AWD!

Thats pretty good...better than the MPG rating for that vehicle..

Im Getting 18-19 MPG on my V6 AWD..and I was getting 19-21 with my 2011 I-4...So Im happy with the MPG...at least its in the MPG rating that it said it would do.

I agree with the wide roof supports...I still find myself pulling out into traffic and having a vehicle in that blind spot.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
k9kuz said:
We have the V-6 with AWD, now with 10K miles:
Dislikes/problems:
1. Poor visibility to the front due to extra wide roof supports. (Many close calls at turns/intersections.)
2. Layout of heater/AC controls not good.
3. Engine sometimes stalls when driving at low speeds and then accelerating.
4. Fuel economy disappointing. (24 mpg highway is the best)(my Corvette w/400hp gets almost 30mpg)
5. Heater/AC does not always function properly, especially when cold.
1. Rides and handles beautifully. Brakes very good.
2. Seat heaters are the best.
3. Leg room for both front and rear seats are great.
4. Audio system great.
5. Excellent support in driver seat (I haven't tried the others).
6. Ability to order the exact options/colors etc that you want.
Would I buy another?
1. Maybe
2. I would do more looking at other brands. (I did a lot before this purchase, but not everything.)
Have you brought the stalling and heater concerns to the attention of your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
raxelgun said:
Not to bring back an old thread...but did you ever figure out what was causing this? My 2012 has started to do the exact same thing and it's driving me crazy!!! This thread was the only result I could find when I did a search about this issue.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
patricks00 said:
Not to bring back an old thread...but did you ever figure out what was causing this? My 2012 has started to do the exact same thing and it's driving me crazy!!! This thread was the only result I could find when I did a search about this issue.
Do both you guys have the I4 engine?
If so, the 'power' steering is actually electric steering - and in the past GM has replaced by recall a few hundred thousand electric steering motors for the 2006-2009 Cobalt/Pursuit,,, so check in with your Dealer.
That may be the issue, as your description sounds exactly like the motor is sticking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Do both you guys have the I4 engine?
If so, the 'power' steering is actually electric steering - and in the past GM has replaced by recall a few hundred thousand electric steering motors for the 2006-2009 Cobalt/Pursuit,,, so check in with your Dealer.
That may be the issue, as your description sounds exactly like the motor is sticking.
Yes, I have the I4. Thanks for the reply. I'll probably be calling the dealer next week.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
patricks00 said:
Keep us posted patricks00 and let me know what you find at the dealer. Contact me if you need anything in the meantime. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GM Customer Svc said:
Keep us posted patricks00 and let me know what you find at the dealer. Contact me if you need anything in the meantime. Thank you.

Well I just got off the phone with the dealership. They said that the 'sticky' steering wheel was 'normal' since I have electric steering and there was nothing they could do about it. Needless to say I'm a little disappointed with this outcome since my Equinox wasn't behaving this way when I first purchased it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
patricks00 said:
Well I just got off the phone with the dealership. They said that the 'sticky' steering wheel was 'normal' since I have electric steering and there was nothing they could do about it. Needless to say I'm a little disappointed with this outcome since my Equinox wasn't behaving this way when I first purchased it.
They determined it was normal over the phone?
I would take it to a dealer and see if you can demonstrate it for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1LT said:
They determined it was normal over the phone?
I would take it to a dealer and see if you can demonstrate it for them.
No sorry. Should have explained a little more. I dropped it off this morning at the dealership and they determined that it was normal. He went on to tell me that "if it isn't broken, they don't fix it".

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
patricks00 said:
I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please contact me privately with your name, contact information, last eight of your VIN, current mileage, and dealer name for more assistance. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts