GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
Our 2015 Equinox LTZ with the 3.6L V6 also has a bit of slight shudder when turning the steering wheel when standing still or in slow maneuvers. It is more noticeable when the engine and fluids are cold the first start of the day or in the now colder winter weather.
I know there was a change in the hydraulic power steering hoses or sizes/connections awhile model year or two ago, and the issue is reduced. After the vehicle is warmed up it is barely noticeable, but still there.

I am guessing that it has to do with the size of the power steering pump and the load upon it. I am further guessing that the pump is rather small in capacity ( also size and weight) in order to save fuel by using only minimal energy from the engine, since the pump is belt driven. Therefore, when the vehicle is not moving and there is maximum load on the power steering pump it "groans" a bit due to turbulence the extra load puts upon the pump.

I am not too concerned, since I have had some cars I have owned do this years ago. I had my dealer service write note it on my last oil change visit and he said to let him know if it becomes a problem.
I never thought that I had the PS issue, but after several months of focusing on it I can feel it in the steering wheel.
Hardly noticeable but it's there, can't hear it.
Because I live in a warmer climate I don't see the change in colder weather.

Mine is less noticeable when I first start the engine, I think because of the higher RPM's.
One last item, GM changed the V-6 Power Steering pump in 2012.
Part # 13580490 is what they call "2nd Design" for a reasonable $89 at GM Parts Direct

·
Registered
247 Posts
My issue is not really a shudder you can feel. Hot or cold, whatever the weather and regardless of whether the car has been running or not, the "groan" noise of turning the wheel at rest or at very slow speed bugs me more and more. I'm upset at myself for not hearing it when I bought the car a few weeks ago with 38K miles and out of warranty. I am obviously familiar with the Terrain, and thought I had covered all the bases when inspecting the car. I'll check the fluid level this weekend before heading to the dealer to have the system checked. Other than this problem, the car is absolutely perfect and I am very happy with my new(er) Terrain! By the way, anyone can tell me where the PS reservoir is on the 3.6 before I go looking?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
under the cover...

youll need some tools to get at it...

upper left hand of pic...

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Islander2 said:
rbarrios:

I must admit I do enjoy the 3.6 noise much better. Find myself pushing the accelerator as much for the noise "rush" as for just gaining speed. So much different than the howl of the old I-4 when pushed hard. But then I loved the sound of "Big Iron" back in the 60's! Nothing like an old big block V-8 to stir the audio senses.
Ahh. . . a '67 Chevelle 396 with the 4 speed on the floor. Smoke those tires from a traffic light.

·
Registered
247 Posts
rbarrios:

Thanks for the info. I'll check it this weekend!! Nice pics by the way.

JayTee: Good friend had the 67 SS Chevelle 396 back then. Yellow with a black drop top and interior. Guy bought a lot of rear tires I remember. Wasn't a cop around who could catch him...but they all knew who he was. Had a 68 390ci AMX back then. It could smoke up the tires too. BW T-5 4sp tranny. Put a few clutches in too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
rbarrios:

No, no...wasn't commenting on your "driver bit." Was correcting my post about the Borg Warner T5 Tranny. That was the T-10. So sorry for the confusion.

And I'll be using those fine pics when I check that fluid level this weekend. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
gotcha-

and remember--- the newer models use Dexron VI trans fluid-- for the power steering fluid.
should be red.

:thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Owe ya a beer rbarrios!! Pics perfect and got right to the PS reservoir. Was down to slightly below minimum and I added Dexron VI per your instructions. Now sits at max level. I turned the steering stop to stop about 5-6 times with cap off and then buttoned everything up. Can still hear a slight "groan" but nothing like before. I think I can live with it. Perhaps there's still a bit of air in the system that will work it's way out. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Islander2 said:
Owe ya a beer rbarrios!! Pics perfect and got right to the PS reservoir.

ahhhh too bad--- have not had a beer in 26 yrs or something like that..... ill take a gatorade... hehe......

glad they helped.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You got it Rit!! What's your favorite flavor? Always like someone willing to step in and help a friend....in this case rbarrios! And he EARNED his Gatorade.

Long time ago, 2010, I posted (under old simple Islander) install story on my T-Rex billet grill for my first 2010 Terrain. Involved consumption of beer so you'd like the story. Took that off that old one and it's now on my 15!

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Islander2 said:
You got it Rit!! What's your favorite flavor? Always like someone willing to step in and help a friend....in this case rbarrios! And he EARNED his Gatorade.

Long time ago, 2010, I posted (under old simple Islander) install story on my T-Rex billet grill for my first 2010 Terrain. Involved consumption of beer so you'd like the story. Took that off that old one and it's now on my 15!
Brings up a great business idea - How about a PayPal where you can "send" a bottle of beer or Gatorade to someone else !

Sorry - I'm off topic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, the long and short of the power steering issue is that it's still there. No leaks I can find in the lines, the pump, or the rack. It's either air in the system or the pump is not working per spec. I'll bleed the system when I figure that out to rule out air. Never did that with PS issue but assume it's pretty similar to bleeding brake lines. If no bubbles or air, guess I'll get the pump changed out. The groaning noise is just excessive, certainly not normal, and makes the car sound like some kind of "beater." If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to share. And happy holidays to all!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If your P/S pump is making that much noise it's probably bad.
Are you still under warranty?

If not just get it done before it gets really bad and locks up.
Under $100 at GM Parts Direct so it's somewhat reasonable, plus labor.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Isn't it a 2015? Take it to the dealer. .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Had 38K miles when I bought it, now over 40K and out of warranty. That's why I "thought" I had done a good job of sorting out everything when I bought it. I think the warranty expired right before I traded for it. Otherwise, it looks, runs, and feels brand new. With 120K miles on the 2010 SLT I traded, I am very familiar with the Terrain....just screwed up on not catching the PS issue. Thanks for the responses.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts