GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Yep, this forum logs the IP address. The real question: why would the admin do this?
There's no harm, and an ignore function for those who are annoyed. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!
My name is Lisa and I am new here and just purchased a 2015 SLT-1 Terrain, 6 cylinder. I read all the reviews, however I am still nervous spending so much money on an automobile. I am picking it up Friday and just need some reassurance that I am making the right decision that this car will last me a good long time. What have others' experiences been? I am so fearful because my last car needed so many repairs.
Thanks for helping me out!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Welcome Lisa. :cheers:

There is an "Introductions" page somewhere here on the forum. Even I have trouble finding it at times. . .. like now when I would post a link.

We just bought a 2015 Equinox LTZ this past January so faced some of the same concerns that you do.

With the V6, you should be fine. Just follow the maintenance for oil changes (at least every 6,000 to 7,000 with the Dexos rated oil).

Watch tire pressures, learn how to use all the info on the DIC. . . Driver Information Center screen.

Drive it nice an easy for the first 1,000 mile or so. No fast accelaration or hard braking. Even after that take it easy. Be easy on the gas pedal. The car "learns" your driving style . . .pressure on the gas pedal, braking, etc. So by taking it easy for the first 3,000 miles or so, it will return with best gas mielage and also break the mechanicals in more easily.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I bought a 2014 Equinox LTZ and have been very happy with it.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Don't abuse it and keep up on the maintenance outlined in the owners manual (your friend).
It should last you a long time with minimal problems.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been driving a 4 cyl SLE since 2012. Close to 50k miles with no problems or regrets other than at times wish it had a bit more oomph. You made a good choice. Good luck and enjoy. My only recommendation is read the manual about top tier gas, google that so you'll know the brands and use it when possible. Lastly, a bottle of Techron additive in the gas tank every oil change.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, visited the site again and see my old posts renewed, some interesting comments about me. Had to re-register as I had no idea what my old password was, thus Islander 2. Admin can confirm and I'll even go back to simple Islander if he/she wants. In any event, the 2010 Red Merlot SLT-1 got traded 4 weeks ago. It had 119K miles and looked as good as new when traded. I'll post a general observation about the 2010 Terrain I-4 shortly as 119K miles and almost 6 years is longer than I've ever owned a car. To SteveK364, I have no objection to you using my old post, but you may want to wait and see what I'll be writing soon.

I was a very early adapter to the new Terrain and was eager to learn about the car as I waited for my order to be built. I was also willing to share some observations with others and learn even more after the vehicle arrived. As I got used to the car and the newness wore off, I admit I visited this site less and less. I was recently curious about current topics and other historical observations about folks experiences with these cars now that I traded it away. Most, if not all, of the original site posters, and fellow early adapters, are long gone as well.

I'm not a shill for GMC as some here suspect. And by the way, I do also have my 3rd 5 Series BMW in the garage so forget any "I'm a GM guy" mentality as well.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice to hear from someone that got their I4 up over 100k. Did you have any of the problems that seemed common on the I4s? Was it a problem with the vehicle that pushed you to trade, or just time?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I really haven't spent much time on the site looking for reported issues with the I-4. In general, it served me quite well over the years. I had the timing chain replaced about 3 years ago (under warranty by the way) because it rattled so much it sounded like a diesel engine at times. I've faithfully changed oil every 3-4k miles (as my Dad told me to 50 years ago). It has been using about a quart of oil every 1K miles or so, but I grew used to checking it often and topping off. Did a 100K mile plug change and was floored the plugs looked so clean. Had a A/C compressor go bad and drip green gunk all over my garage floor. Changed tires of course and needed a new TPM on one wheel about 35K miles ago. Had one electric window go bad. Shocks probably needed replacing. Am freaky about keeping my vehicles looking perfect and regularly detail inside and out so the body/paint/interior looked virtually perfect when I traded. It had a lot of miles as it was used to go back and forth to a second home in GA every 4-6 weeks. The I-4 was LOUD, but a surprisingly consistent performer over the years. My overall gas mileage on DIC sat at 25.4 MPG for mixed use and that is reasonably accurate based on fuel consumption/miles driven. Biggest MPG observation is that MPG drops like a rock when you get over 60 MPH and is horrible at interstate speeds 70-80. Never saw advertised 32MPG anywhere, but overall average not bad for an SUV in this size category. Not really complaining.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Gotcha, they would have replaced the pistons and rings to solve the oil consumption problem, had you brought it to the dealer. Interesting to learn of what else you had to fix.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Car never did do a "blue smoke" thing or burning oil smell as you would expect from ring issue and never had any compression issue either. Never had a drip of oil on garage floor. It's like the oil just would disappear over usage time without any of the usual symptoms. Kept power as well, maybe used a little more gas. And as I said before, the plugs were pristine when replaced at 100K....no black residue or sooty material at all. Guess I'm old school and just expect an engine to use oil when it gets a lot of miles on it. Have always cared for my cars and felt, in many respects, I could care better for it than the dealer. I did add a can of fuel treatment every few tankfuls to keep injectors clean and never had any problems on the fuel delivery side.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Islander2 said:
Car never did do a "blue smoke" thing or burning oil smell as you would expect from ring issue and never had any compression issue either. Never had a drip of oil on garage floor. It's like the oil just would disappear over usage time without any of the usual symptoms. Kept power as well, maybe used a little more gas. And as I said before, the plugs were pristine when replaced at 100K....no black residue or sooty material at all. Guess I'm old school and just expect an engine to use oil when it gets a lot of miles on it. Have always cared for my cars and felt, in many respects, I could care better for it than the dealer. I did add a can of fuel treatment every few tankfuls to keep injectors clean and never had any problems on the fuel delivery side.

You underestimate the modern emissions system. All of that burnt oil winds up in the catalytic converter, coating its insides and causing a premature failure. If it had been burning oil for a while, the cat was probably about ready to go on yours.

·
Registered
247 Posts
BTW, now have a 15 SLT-1, 3.6L in the garage. As noted in prior posts, I was always a fan of the 3.6 and it's a real pleasure to have in my new to me 15 Terrain. Quite an improvement over the 10 I-4!! Got the 19" chrome wheels that look great as well. Quite happy so far. All my previous posts were under simple Islander as I was a very early Terrain buyer when it first came out.

Did notice the power steering makes some weird noises when vehicle stopped or moving very slowly. I really notice it now that I've been driving the 15 for a few weeks now.

Mileage seems pretty good and the upgraded nav system is just so much better than the 10. Miss the flap in the cargo area...but not spending $110 to get from GM...why would they remove that and now have a big crevasse back there to collect stuff??

My 15 had 39K miles when I bought it. Told it was all highway miles, car is perfect, inside and out. Just hope the warranty isn't necessary, but it was a spectacular bargain when I traded for it. Time will tell. Now if I can just get that power steering noise resolved.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This was a problem with the older V-6's starting about the 2011, 2012 model year.
Do a search for steering shudder.
There was a service bulletin on this and production change for the 2014 and 2015's.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Islander2 said:
Thanks Rednox. Mine is a 2015 3.6 and still has the issue. It's more of a noise thing than a shudder. I'll check thru posts.
It could be something different than was included in the original service bulletin.
Being that it is a 2015 and still under warranty let the dealer handle it.
Let us know what it was when the repair is complete.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Our 2015 Equinox LTZ with the 3.6L V6 also has a bit of slight shudder when turning the steering wheel when standing still or in slow maneuvers. It is more noticeable when the engine and fluids are cold the first start of the day or in the now colder winter weather.
I know there was a change in the hydraulic power steering hoses or sizes/connections awhile model year or two ago, and the issue is reduced. After the vehicle is warmed up it is barely noticeable, but still there.

I am guessing that it has to do with the size of the power steering pump and the load upon it. I am further guessing that the pump is rather small in capacity ( also size and weight) in order to save fuel by using only minimal energy from the engine, since the pump is belt driven. Therefore, when the vehicle is not moving and there is maximum load on the power steering pump it "groans" a bit due to turbulence the extra load puts upon the pump.

I am not too concerned, since I have had some cars I have owned do this years ago. I had my dealer service write note it on my last oil change visit and he said to let him know if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Islander2 said:
The I-4 was LOUD,
the other day- an Equinox passed me up-- and man was it LOUD...
and it was NOT modified exhaust...

just noisy....
it was an I4

·
Registered
247 Posts
rbarrios:

I must admit I do enjoy the 3.6 noise much better. Find myself pushing the accelerator as much for the noise "rush" as for just gaining speed. So much different than the howl of the old I-4 when pushed hard. But then I loved the sound of "Big Iron" back in the 60's! Nothing like an old big block V-8 to stir the audio senses.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts