GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Here's the system description for my '16. I would suspect a poor connection somewhere first as all 4 are going in/out.
A couple modules are in play. If one sensor goes the other ones will still report their status.
Can you scan all 4 code families to see any communication issues?

The tire pressure monitor system uses the instrument cluster, body control module (BCM), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) and the serial data circuit to perform the tire pressure monitor learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, BCM replacement, or sensor replacement. Once the Learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the BCM memory. When a sensor ID has been learned, the BCM sounds a horn chirp indicating the sensor has transmitted its ID and the BCM has received and learned it. The BCM must learn the sensor IDs in the proper sequence to determine correct sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear. The turn signals will individually illuminate indicating which location is to be learned in the proper sequence.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
260 Posts
Colt, have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset everything?

The fact it learns the sensors and you can see them updating as you drive tells me the sensors are working and likely not the culprit. That they all stop working at the same time seems more like a computer glitch in my thinking. It's like the computer forgets that it learned those sensors all at the same time. Maybe a reset to "reboot" the computer is what it needs?

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
@repairman54 : I don’t think I can scan anything (other than groceries). There’s no CEL active.

@ricklack : Haven’t tried yanking the battery NEG cable, but I forgot about that. I’ll add it to my list of test cases.

Stopped by the Dealer and got the guy there to “zap” my TPMS real quick. He had the orange-colored ReLearn Tool, but I forgot to ask if it was the “Real McCoy”. All 4 programmed just fine ... and he said “you’re good to go!”

And then 18 miles later ... POOF! All dashed again!

I’m starting to think there’s a double-check, or secondary test ... after it goes to Closed Loop, where it’s doing some kind of verification of the ID numbers, and some bit or bits aren’t what they’re supposed to be, so it sets its own bit :

* NO SENSORS INSTALLED *

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well Colt, I think you jinxed me! I just lost a driver side rear that’s not registering 😡

What’d y’all figure out?

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well Colt, I think you jinxed me! I just lost a driver side rear that’s not registering 😡

What’d y’all figure out?
I think GM’s screwing us over via OnStar

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@BandDirector : Well ... let me know how you make out with them. I see the ones you ordered. The Sensor heads are the "little" ones ... not like the "larger" factory originals. Must be the "later design"?

But here are some of the Amazon comments on them ...

1.) "Possibly not genuine".

2.) "They program fine, but then loses them after a day or driving over 35 mph. Scan tool says 'too few pulses'" (Sounds like my problem ... except I don't have a ScanTool to tell me 'too few pulses')

3.) "They worked for 4 days before 2 of them failed"

4.) "Not new ...used or refurbished ... not in ACDelco packaging"

====
It would be so easy for bottom-of-the-totem-pole tire changers at garages (and retail businesses selling tires) to run a little racket to boost their income: remove used Sensors and then start an EBay (or Amazon) business re-selling them. Maybe they change the valve stems on them to make them look pristine new? The Sensors themselves literally live inside a "bubble", so they're going to look just fine!

And then all they need to do is last 30 days .... enough to say, "Too bad, you're past the 30 day return policy".

And even if the seller says, "Ok, send them back" ... he knows you're probably not going to do that because whoever installed them for you obviously didn't sell them to you ... so they're gonna charge you $50-$60 just to take them out!

=======

So ... some would say ... "you should've bought them from the Shop with the tires". Well, then they're gouging you $25-$35 a sensor ... and still ... no guarantee they won't fail. If they fail right away like mine did, the Shop probably replaces them for free .... but what if they fail the following year (which is still way sooner then they should've)?

You'll probably hear something like ... "I'll get you another one and replace this one for free ... but that's it!" (knowing that they're installing the same used or knockoff Sensors themselves). They just have a more reliable source for them ... that's all...

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
221 Posts
Way back I had sensors replaced by Canadian Tire (similar to Walmart). One failed almost at the end of the first year, they replaced it for free. I had a set of tires on my van and it sits most of the time and the tires developed dry rots and I got replacement for free. If you go with online shop you are on your own. Some shops still care about their reputation, but most of them are slipping. The good old honest & fair to the customers days are over. The consumers have to take some of the blame too because they took advantage of the honest system.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
@BandDirector : Well ... let me know how you make out with them. I see the ones you ordered. The Sensor heads are the "little" ones ... not like the "larger" factory originals. Must be the "later design"?

But here are some of the Amazon comments on them ...

1.) "Possibly not genuine".

2.) "They program fine, but then loses them after a day or driving over 35 mph. Scan tool says 'too few pulses'" (Sounds like my problem ... except I don't have a ScanTool to tell me 'too few pulses')

3.) "They worked for 4 days before 2 of them failed"

4.) "Not new ...used or refurbished ... not in ACDelco packaging"

====
It would be so easy for bottom-of-the-totem-pole tire changers at garages (and retail businesses selling tires) to run a little racket to boost their income: remove used Sensors and then start an EBay (or Amazon) business re-selling them. Maybe they change the valve stems on them to make them look pristine new? The Sensors themselves literally live inside a "bubble", so they're going to look just fine!

And then all they need to do is last 30 days .... enough to say, "Too bad, you're past the 30 day return policy".

And even if the seller says, "Ok, send them back" ... he knows you're probably not going to do that because whoever installed them for you obviously didn't sell them to you ... so they're gonna charge you $50-$60 just to take them out!

=======

So ... some would say ... "you should've bought them from the Shop with the tires". Well, then they're gouging you $25-$35 a sensor ... and still ... no guarantee they won't fail. If they fail right away like mine did, the Shop probably replaces them for free .... but what if they fail the following year (which is still way sooner then they should've)?

You'll probably hear something like ... "I'll get you another one and replace this one for free ... but that's it!" (knowing that they're installing the same used or knockoff Sensors themselves). They just have a more reliable source for them ... that's all...
The ones with the little “heads” are what I used when I put aftermarket rims on to begin with and they worked out great. I curbed a rim a few years ago and had to replace both the rim & tire and also bought a single ac deIco tpms off of Amazon when that happened and it worked without issue as well.
I’m hoping this one dead sensor is a fluke, but if they all start to go, I may just live with the warning lights until I replace all 4 tires…

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@repairman54 : no Codes ... at least, my Harbor Fake Code Reader doesn’t detect any.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
$11 Sensor off Amazon (IS genuine AC Delco).
$10 labor charge from tire shop.
10 mins of my time. Literally pulled up to the shop, guy pulled me over lift immediately, told him what I needed, and pulled out 10 mins later. (I programmed the sensor before I went to make sure it worked)
10 mile ride home and all seems well.
…if only every minor malfunction repair were that simple…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
…lost another one on my way home today…just went ahead and ordered 3 more to match the one I just replaced. Looks like the batteries in TPMS sensors go about 7 years based on my experience…

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
260 Posts
Looks like the batteries in TPMS sensors go about 7 years based on my experience…
sounds about right - my 2009 Impala sensors started to fail in 2016. My 2013 Nox sensors lasted a bit longer, they were still working when I traded it in in Dec 2021. Had 350,000km but had snows on half the time.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts