GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2010 Nox for about a month now, and absolutley love it!
I also thik this is a great forum.

Has anyone else been nearly blinded by sunlight reflecting off the chrome
around the gear shift, and cup holders, or am I the only one? It happens
to me all the time.

Anyone have any ideas, on a "non-permanant" solution for this? I thought about
trying a black magic marker, to cover over all the chrome, but dont think it would
last very long, and might not look that good.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sunglasses

·
Registered
315 Posts
catfan64 said:
trying a black magic marker, to cover over all the chrome, but dont think it would
My one complaint about my Nox is the chrome on the handle for the upper storage box. I've painted numerous plastic pieces on cars before, it is easily possible. I plan on eventually removing mine and painting it. The procedure is pretty simple. Lightly sand with fine sandpaper (1k grit), then clean the dust off (lint free rag and I was using acetone). Krylon Plastic fusion is a great paint for plastic. Just apply several coats for the color you wish. Has always worked great for painting plastic pieces for me, and its extremely durable

Painted using "Krylon texturized black" to match the panels on my Cobalt SS

Stock

·
Registered
163 Posts
catfan64 said:

to me all the time.

Yup, I have the same trouble. I havent dealt with it yet but I did buy from eBay a 12"x24" sheet of black adhesive vinyl which should take care of it and be easily removable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
catfan64 said:
to me all the time.
It is more so the chrome painted latch on the what i call "cell phone holder" on the dashboard that blinds me every time. :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So far no problems for me. I do wear sunglasses 99.9% of the time. If it were me and I still wanted the silvery look, I'd do what I use to do with model cars. Paint the chrome with clear flat paint......makes it look like aluminum. I also painted some chrome on my bike with clear yellow and it looks exactly like gold plating. It's amazing. People have stopped me to ask how much did it cost to gold plate that piece....I told them "a fortune". LOL

I may try clear red on the GMC on the wheels and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Happens to me all the time - I think it's the surprise more than anything (and yes, I wear sunglasses most of the time). It's just at that weird position/angle. I have an old Jeep Wrangler that has something similar somewhere on the hood/grille that catches the light just so and bounces it off someone's chrome bumper or a road sign and blinds me for an instant. Annoying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TerryG said:
Yup, I have the same trouble. I havent dealt with it yet but I did buy from eBay a 12"x24" sheet of black adhesive vinyl which should take care of it and be easily removable.
That sounds like what I need. Do you plan on doing it anytime soon? I would love to see "after" pics, when you get done, along with
any tricks, or difficulties you might have.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sometimes I have to close the cover on the sunroof when sun shines straight down into the space between my sunglasses and my eyes.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have never opened my sunroof on the Terrain or my last 2 cars or the T-Tops on my Vettes for that very reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this same problem on my Acadia...not much you can do about it. It mostly happens when the sun hits at a certain angle...you could probably cover it with a towel or something.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Havent put the adhesive on yet but it should work fine. Should also come off with a minimum of effort. When I get time to put it on I will take a picture or two.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
catfan64 said:

to me all the time.

Try adjusting the seat height, distance to steering wheel, sunglasses, closing the sunroof headliner (if you have one) and all the other suggestions.
No probs here, and we generally drive with the sunroof headliner open and sunroof itself closed.

Just curious, whereabouts do you live and what time of day does it generally happen?

·
Registered
33 Posts
lutherm07 said:
It is more so the chrome painted latch on the what i call "cell phone holder" on the dashboard that blinds me every time. :D
Ditto on that note, lutherm07

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I saw a report on another forum that at some point Chevy switched to the same gray/silver that you see around the center stack/air vents for the sunglass holder hatch button. If this is true then it should be available as a replacement part from the dealer? I have only been briefly blinded by the latch cover on one occasion, and I think one time in 7 months (and I live in sunny Texas) is not enough for me to bother with it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In Florida and had the problem once..Sunglasses a most here almost all yr round..It reminds me of when ur driving behind someone and the sun hits the person's back windshield at a certain angle and blinds you..I think mostly certain cars and the sun at just the right angle... ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
The dash storage plastic "chrome" piece was very bright in the early afternoon. I just painted this with an acrylic flat black. Did two initial coats and then a third the next day. No more bright "blinding" light. Cup chrome is no issue. I live in So.Fla.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too have been suffering with this problem on my '10 Nox for over a year now. I would love to sand & repaint those pieces, but I'm afraid of breaking them when I try to remove them. Anyone have any tips on how to remove them without breakage??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I started wearing polaroid [/color] sunglasses when in the Navy - it removed glare, and enabled me to see below the surface of the ocean, even when the sun glare was ferocious. I could see into the aircraft cockpits through the canopies, even with the sun reflecting directly at me. I still wear them today, and there's no glare from anywhere - other cars, inside mine, water - anywhere. I can easily see through other cars windshields, even when the reflections would otherwise blind me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts