GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the gas nozzle trying to pop out when pumping gas? It seems on mine that the nozzle tends to fall out very easily compared to other cars.

·
Registered
142 Posts
while i would not say it pops out, i would agree that is not as well designed as other cars i have owned over the years

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont have any issues with my Terrain (2011)

Now my 06 HHR...you had to have the nozzle at a certain angle or it wouldnt let you pump the gas at full flow..(would stop the flow, like it was full)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
granto said:
Has anyone had problems with the gas nozzle trying to pop out when pumping gas? It seems on mine that the nozzle tends to fall out very easily compared to other cars.
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me directly with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only had a few fill ups, but I have noticed this as well. I have tried filling up at several different stations, but the nozzle does not appear to fit very well. I certainly wouldn't trust it enough to walk away while refueling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I have definitely had this problem and still do some times. (I posted something earlier this year in the SRX General Discussion Forum subj: "Getting Gas - Gas Receptical Position" that you can refer to and see other responses). I've had the SRX for a year now and have learned to avoid certain pumps. If I find pumps where the "rubber thingy" that covers the receptical is fully in tack with no tears, I usually can set the auto pump and it will work OK. But it's very finicky and I often get a bad pump and have to stand there manually filling the tank. Never had this problem on any other car and I doubt that the pumps have suddenly deteriorated at the same time I got my new car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I owned a 2010 Equinox, never could just leave the nozzle without holding it. Then the car was totaled. Now I own a 2012 EQ, and same thing, the nozzle falls down and shuts off.
For some reason the hole in an oval shape, not a smaller circle that would hold the nozzle.
Maybe for another kind of fuel, IDK.
I live in California, so maybe the nozzles are different.
And, yes, Tricia, I did mention it to my dealer, he just shrugged. You have great faith in GM dealers. :help:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never had the nozzle actually fall out but, I'm constantly having to stand there and squeeze the nozzle. :angryfire: :angryfire:
There was only one station where the gas nozzle auto-fill lever actually stayed locked and I didn't have to squeeze the nozzle. Wish I could remember which one - it'd be worth it to go there all the time.

There's definitely a design flaw in the filler neck. It's too wide where the tip of the nozzle is located when fully inserted. This causes the nozzle to "droop", which in turn causes the fuel to not flow smoothly. This lets the fuel back up and trip the locked open nozzle thinking it was full. :angryfire: :banghead:

:thumbdown: Dumb design :thumbdown:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wife said the same thing about the pump nozzle. I just filled it recently and the same thing happened. So I pushed the nozzle in a little harder and angled it down and it stayed in place.

On a side note:
Its funny that the stations don't want you to leave your car fueling unattended, but they provide you with the clip on the pump to allow you to do it. I use it as convenience and stand right next to it while refueling.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jcarm75 said:
Wife said the same thing about the pump nozzle. I just filled it recently and the same thing happened. So I pushed the nozzle in a little harder and angled it down and it stayed in place.

On a side note:
Its funny that the stations don't want you to leave your car fueling unattended, but they provide you with the clip on the pump to allow you to do it. I use it as convenience and stand right next to it while refueling.
Where I live, your responsible for any spills, So I always stay with the nozzle. Wonder how much it would cost to have the haz-mat team show up at the station because you spilled a couple gallons.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't think that would happen because the nozzles are designed to limit the spillage.They shut off when it pops off (at least the newer pump nozzles do here in SoCal). You would manually have to hold the tip back of the fuel nozzle to get it spill on the floor (thats the only way to fill up my gas tank for my lawn mower).... Most places have fuel/oil absorbers they throw on the floor when there is a spill.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Since I had two automatic shutoffs fail I hang on to the nozzle and control it myself.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im pretty sure there is a TSB on this. Mine used to do this too and when I brought it to the dealer they knew the problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 Terrain. Same problem about popping out, but only in California. No problem on vacation to Oregon and Washington. Today, I will see what the dealer has to say. Luckily, there are less fillups at 28.1 mpg.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hi ,

PI0628A: Vehicle Fuels Slow, Cannot Refuel or Fuel Pump Frequently Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Pipe) - (May 14, 2012)

Subject:

Vehicle Fuels Slow, Cannot Refuel or Fuel Pump Frequently Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Pipe)

:cheers:

·
Registered
196 Posts
bigb12359 said:
hi ,

PI0628A: Vehicle Fuels Slow, Cannot Refuel or Fuel Pump Frequently Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Pipe) - (May 14, 2012)

Subject:

Vehicle Fuels Slow, Cannot Refuel or Fuel Pump Frequently Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Pipe)

:cheers:
I believe this is my issue, nozzles cuts off about 4 gallons below max. A real pain to fill it up. I tried from tank on "E" on fumes to fill tank to filler neck to test the capacity, tank took 19.5 gallons and starts the shut off problem at about 16 gals. Very time consuming to squeeze in those last few gals. I'll need to find out if this is what others are experiencing before bring it in for a replacement filler neck, I don't want to "pay" to have them look at it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
468 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
I believe this is my issue, nozzles cuts off about 4 gallons below max. A real pain to fill it up. I tried from tank on "E" on fumes to fill tank to filler neck to test the capacity, tank took 19.5 gallons and starts the shut off problem at about 16 gals. Very time consuming to squeeze in those last few gals. I'll need to find out if this is what others are experiencing before bring it in for a replacement filler neck, I don't want to "pay" to have them look at it. Thanks for the info.
thats going to be your issue, and they wont charge to fix it. find the tsb and print it out and bring it with you.

·
Registered
468 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts