GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

gas mileage

117K views 201 replies 77 participants last post by  FlaTerrain 
#1 ·
Just got a new 12 Terrain with the 4 cyl. engine. Have around 400 miles on it now. Don't think it is going to get any where close to the 32 adverstited .
What you guys getting? Do you use the eco boost?

#2 ·
Just from general experiance in recent GM vehicles, I would not expect good MPG at this early stage. By about 3500-4000 miles it should be better. What happens beyond that can depend a lot on driving conditions and driver habits.

#4 ·
Maybe. Usually what I do (others may well have other ideas, as always) is find a reasonably flat section of highway and find where it upshifts into 6th (in this case), put it in cruise and check the instant MPG and tach. With our 6 CYL AWD at 56MPH or so it does the best and tach is about 1450-1500 range. Between 56 and 60 MPH usually works well on highway for us and the tach number is a goal to try and find at lower MPH. If I can adjust speed at lower MPH slightly to get it in a gear that hits the tach number it will also do well. Just what works for me.

#5 ·
I am new to this forum as of today, and I sought it out precisely because of my issues with fuel economy, so Doug's post is very topical. I own a 2011 Terrain, 4cyl, FWD, epa estimates 22mpg city/32 mpg hwy. We have owned this for over one year and do not see anything close to this. We mainly do city driving (Chicago), and we get between 13-15 mpg. Horrible. We have brought it back to dealer several times, and contacted GMC customer assistance, only to be told that there was nothing warranty serviceable that could be found on their diagnostics and the whole line about how different driving conditions will affect our fuel economy. Our avg MPH according to the vehicles computer is about 12-13 mph, and one dealer mechanic told us we'd need to drive faster. I don't know how that's possible in Chicago. Anyway, is anyone else getting these miserable numbers with city driving?

#6 ·
I had the 2011 AWD I-4 for one year, had about 29k on it when I traded it in for a 2012 AWD V6.

I had issues with the I-4 engine, so I think that had something to do with the poor MPG..

It didnt get better, as some people had said early on..It got worse.

I was getting 19-21MPG on the I-4
Im getting 18-19 MPG with the V6. I have about 1200 on it right now.

#7 ·
There are several threads about poor gas mileage with the DI 4 cylinder engines in the Equinox and Terrain. Few, if any, have found any dealer fixes that improved the mpg in their cars. Other threads have not found mpg issues with the same engine. From an outsiders point of view (I got on the forum to research the cars as a replacement), I am hesitating at purchasing the car/engine because of the mpg issue.

#8 ·
AB said:
I am new to this forum as of today, and I sought it out precisely because of my issues with fuel economy, so Doug's post is very topical. I own a 2011 Terrain, 4cyl, FWD, epa estimates 22mpg city/32 mpg hwy. We have owned this for over one year and do not see anything close to this. We mainly do city driving (Chicago), and we get between 13-15 mpg. Horrible. We have brought it back to dealer several times, and contacted GMC customer assistance, only to be told that there was nothing warranty serviceable that could be found on their diagnostics and the whole line about how different driving conditions will affect our fuel economy. Our avg MPH according to the vehicles computer is about 12-13 mph, and one dealer mechanic told us we'd need to drive faster. I don't know how that's possible in Chicago. Anyway, is anyone else getting these miserable numbers with city driving?
I would like to look into this for you with your case number. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#9 ·
Old Lar said:
There are several threads about poor gas mileage with the DI 4 cylinder engines in the Equinox and Terrain. Few, if any, have found any dealer fixes that improved the mpg in their cars. Other threads have not found mpg issues with the same engine. From an outsiders point of view (I got on the forum to research the cars as a replacement), I am hesitating at purchasing the car/engine because of the mpg issue.
Don't hesitate-------------run from the Nox & Terrain.

#10 ·
So Far, what I have seen on this forum, folks with the 2012 I-4 have been getting some pretty good numbers (MPG) at least more in the range of what its rated..and better..(compared to what I got on my 2011 AWD I-4)

As far as my 2012 AWD V6..Im happy with my MPG..18-19...which is also in line with what they say its rated..

Hopefully the I-4 engine issues of 2011 are related to that year only!..

#11 ·
wrusprod said:
So Far, what I have seen on this forum, folks with the 2012 I-4 have been getting some pretty good numbers (MPG) at least more in the range of what its rated..and better..(compared to what I got on my 2011 AWD I-4)

As far as my 2012 AWD V6..Im happy with my MPG..18-19...which is also in line with what they say its rated..

Hopefully the I-4 engine issues of 2011 are related to that year only!..
So what do you suppose GM changed between the 2011 and 2012? Does anyone know if there were any major changes?

#13 ·
Issues with the 2011 was a stock of bad parts...JMO...

The engines are different, because as TedReminder said, the compression is lower, and the engine has a different Engine number..So seems they are different..

#14 ·
Filled the tank yesterday and reset the average mileage. Drove about 120 miles and it read 28.6. This was on 2 lane roads and some city driving.If this continues I will be very happy. Wow what a difference in the Terrain and Nox. The Terrain is quieter and drives better also more confortable. Glad they finally was able to offer the Merolot color for 12. Really like the way the interior is laid out the nice red lights. The telescoping sterring wheel is great.

#15 ·
Doug said:
F Wow what a difference in the Terrain and Nox. The Terrain is quieter and drives better also more confortable.
Must be because of the different sheet metal, because it is the only difference. I believe the rest is identical ! :confused:

#16 ·
I bought '12 I-4 Terrain about 1 month ago. I have just over 2K miles on it. I drive over 80 miles/day to and from work almost all highway. I usually set the cruise at 74 when I can, probably in stop and go traffic around 30% of the drive. My avg MPG since I owned the vehicle is 24.8. I have had Eco mode on since I bought it.

#20 ·
wrusprod said:
Issues with the 2011 was a stock of bad parts...JMO...

The engines are different, because as TedReminder said, the compression is lower, and the engine has a different Engine number..So seems they are different..
Which brings up another question, do you think it would be possible that any of the late 2011 models got 2012 engines.

#21 ·
Don B said:
Which brings up another question, do you think it would be possible that any of the late 2011 models got 2012 engines.
Probably not - Doesn't GM have to certify the engines for emissions purposes, that are used in the Model Year 2011 in order to sell them? I would think it would require an extra hoop to pass thru that GM would not want to spend money on. Just my $0.02

#22 ·
RIT333 said:
Probably not - Doesn't GM have to certify the engines for emissions purposes, that are used in the Model Year 2011 in order to sell them? I would think it would require an extra hoop to pass thru that GM would not want to spend money on. Just my $0.02
+1, However engineering changes are permitted as long as their effect on legislated standards are satisfied.

#23 ·
2012 I-4 AWD here. 30-1000 miles all city driving i was getting 16mpg. I had to adjust to an I-4 since it was my first 4cyl ever. After 1000 mi not using car starter, i was getting about 18 city. But since its been colder again its back down to around 16-17. I have 1300 on it since Nov 28th when I took delivery, and I have 0 highway miles on it, and thats where Im interested to see how I do. I was hoping to get a little bit better of mpg's so I hope it improves. I am wondering if maybe the car is a little underpowered for the weight it carries around, because I am hearing from v6 owners they are getting about the same mpg as I am. I only run the remote start for 5 min max, but I know that drinks the juice a little too. Just wanted to share my observations.

Mike

#24 ·
Update. Filled tank yesterday. 383 miles on this tank, was not on empty, average mpg was 27.9. This is close to our normal driving without any freeway miles.
What hurts me is a 12 mile trip to town has 5 stop signs. Now have a little over 800 miles and have been taking it easy on the engine. At the 1000 mile mark I will be a bit more aggresive.

2012 Merlot Metalic 4 cyl

#25 ·
I have a 2011 awd terrain with the I4. We are averaging just over 20 mpg. On the highway we get 21-22. The magic number is 53mph with no head wind. If you can keep it under 53 mph on level ground it gets into the upper 20's. As soon as it starts pushing into the mid to upper 50's bye bye epa estimates. We just drove from MI to AR this past christmas, Cruise set at 70-72 we averaged just under 22 mpg. Same as my 2008 trailblazer. Needless to say when the warranty gets close to running out we will sell our terrain and never buy another GM product again. The district GMC rep that we worked with won't pursue finding out why we are getting such crappy mileage. I know it is from the HP fuel pump failing since day one and shearing down the break in oil with fuel. I caught it just before 1000 miles on the clock but the damage was done. We have 14000 miles on it and no major gain in MPG. Hopefully yours will improve soon :cheers:

#26 ·
Im still getting around 18-19 MPG on my 2012 Terrain AWD V6..got just over 2K on it now... :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.