GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per sticker and EPA it's City 22 / Highway 32 MPG. But the fact is it gives 22 MPG. No matter how you drive. I always have ECO mode turned on.
I know this will be stupid question, is there anyway we can get 32MPG? ::) And people would say 32 MPG for highway and the one that I have on Screen shot is average. But those Mileage I have put is only on Highway. That is insane!! I wonder how factory tested the gas mileage, the engine without the body?? ::)

At dealer they convenience me that it will give almost 32 MPG because it has EcoTech engine this and that...bla bla bla...

"The most fuel-efficient crossover on the highway." -- WHAT?

:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
First ou have to know that you'll NEVER get the sticker numbers.

Then I don't know what car you drove before, but from my experience the Equinox requires some 'specific' driving. I compare it with a sedan car, not a bigger truck.

Also my experience is:

In the second month of my car (last July) I had a 2000 miles (3000 kms) holiday trip Montreal QC - Ocean City, MD - Cleveland, OH - Montreal, QC, with 4 people and load for 10-12 days vacation. The average of this was 8.4 l/100km = 28mpg[/color].

In November had a Montreal-Toronto and back in one day (1100 kms = 700miles) with 3 people, no load: 8.6 l/100km = 27.35 mpg[/color]
I just come back for a new year holiday: Montreal, QC - Cleveland, OH , 2200 km = 1400miles with 9l/100km = 26mpg[/color].

My regular daily comute is 25 km = 15 miles with highway / city = 70 / 30. The average is somewhere around 10l/100km = 23.5mpg[/color].

But again: if I would push it like my previous car I'd be around 13l/100km=19mpg[/color]

·
Registered
35 Posts
So far I'm getting 18.4... ~700 miles. Granted, most of it off highways and with seat heaters on, etc. But still...

·
Registered
332 Posts
We're getting close to the advertised figures but it does require "grandma" like driving. Our average 60/40 Highway/city economy is 8.3L/100Km or approx 28 miles per US gal. (34 miles per imp. gal).

However for us winter is NOT the time to check fuel economy since warm up is way longer, idling times are greater and components get stiff when the sit in the cold. So these figures will presently be lower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our FE is also not very good right now (17.3 mpg with 95% inner city drive). Right now we have about 640 miles on it., it is still not broken-in. That's why I asked around for tips for the best break-in procedure in an another post. Also the cold temperature right now push the FE down. I'm looking forward to the spring when we will make our first real road-trip up to Washington with our new Nox. I hope that on the way back the FE will be more what I have hoped for. I guess we just have to be a bit patient. :-\ Reading all the posts about FE I have good hopes that ours will get better. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think I will ever get 32 mpg with my Nox. In other forum posts I have discussed the MPG's of the Nox and everyone says the same thing...You need to drive it like a Grandma! And thats true to a point....Driving like a Grandma will get you 22-25 mpg. If you want anything close to 30, you better be headed down wind, no traffic, cruise control, 70.2 Degrees temperature outside, no AC on, absolutely no cargo, and 100 lb driver weight :) hahaha.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
coreyp said:
I don't think I will ever get 32 mpg with my Nox. In other forum posts I have discussed the MPG's of the Nox and everyone says the same thing...You need to drive it like a Grandma! And thats true to a point....Driving like a Grandma will get you 22-25 mpg. If you want anything close to 30, you better be headed down wind, no traffic, cruise control, 70.2 Degrees temperature outside, no AC on, absolutely no cargo, and 100 lb driver weight :) hahaha.
Considering you have an AWD, you should be happy if you get 30. Its rated 20/29.

Also, I have no doubt ours will crest 31 this next coming summer. We got 29.6 on a trip to TX from TN using winter bled and a slight headwind.

Plus, the EPA rates the vehicles with 100% gas. We are forced to used 90% gas so that too takes away some of the MPGs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First let me say I have 28,000 miles on mine and I live in the snow belt with daily snow and temps in the low twenties. I have gotten milage all over the range with this vehicle, it can deliver the mpg if you are willing and patient to get it. The high MPG's don't happen without a strategy, such as in town driving get up to speed reasonably and get into 6th gear as soon as possible, the more you hang in 5 th gear the lower your results. If you pay attention to the shifting you can do it buy how you manipulate the pedal, letting of as you accelerating up will cause an up shift up and lower rpms. My average for winter with a 30 mile commute that is 50/50 is about 25 mpg, I have achieved over 30 a few times and once last summer with a test loop of 157 mile I got 39.8 mpg. Last week with the cold and the snow and a lot of in city driving i was down to 20 mpg. I was thinking is it the weather or me? It was me, i got a little pedal happy with all the snow and the desire to hot rod a bit and bam it takes you down. I took a highway test with temps around low 20's and with 150 miles with one stop in town to get to my appointment it delivered 27.8 mpg and that was @ 65mph with the cruise on and not following any other vehicles. Cruise is your friend and speed and braking are your enemies to higher mpg's.

PS: Don't forget that this vehicle weighs 3950 lbs (AWD) my Trailblazer weighs 4700 lbs and you don't want to know what it gets for mpg.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
MACATOWA said:
PS: Don't forget that this vehicle weighs 3950 lbs (AWD) my Trailblazer weighs 4700 lbs and you don't want to know what it gets for mpg.
Actually, I do ! What kind of mileage does the Trailblazer get ?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
RIT333 said:
Actually, I do ! What kind of mileage does the Trailblazer get ?
Ill give you mine.
2003 Trailblazer- short wheel base- I6. City/hwy combined average 18 MPG. (this is in LA- with rush hr driving- stop and go). all hwy- 22-23.
in comparison- my 2010 Traverse- same conditions as above- I get 19-21 city/hwy combined. and all hwy- 25-30 MPG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trailblazer with 4x4 and 3:42 rear end = Mid teens city & high teens hiway 65mph or less. I'm saving about $250 per month in fuel and the Nox is a much nicer drive with way better technoogy, AWD vs 4wd, bluetooth, usb with IPod display at radio and quieter, and driving 425 plus miles and only needing 17 gal of fuel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
MACATOWA said:
I have gotten milage all over the range with this vehicle, it can deliver the mpg if you are willing and patient to get it. The high MPG's don't happen without a strategy
Absolutely true.

MACATOWA said:
i got a little pedal happy with all the snow and the desire to hot rod a bit and bam it takes you down.
Made me laugh out loud! ;D

MACATOWA said:
Cruise is your friend and speed and braking are your enemies to higher mpg's.
Cruise is ONLY your friend if you live in a flat area. On the east coast, there are very few flat roads that go for any distance. It's constantly rolling terrain, up and down, hills everywhere. You only notice this if you turn cruise on and watch the instantaneous mpg gauge. You'll go from 99+ mpg as you crest and go down a hill to 35-40 on a flat to 13 or worse going up. If you turn off cruise and instead keep the throttle fixed, your speed will drop but your mpg will be higher.

Good post MACATOWA!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Real Gas Mileage on Equinox

Here is ALL my fill ups since new in April 2010.
Vehicle: 2010 Equinox LT 4dr SUV
182-horsepower 2.4L I4, 6-speed shiftable automatic, AWD

MPG
hills 24.3
flat 29.2
hills 26.5
flat 26.6
flat 26.4
flat 24.6
hills 31.4
hills 28.2
hills 31.1
hills 25.7
flat 28.6
flat 27.9
mtns 26.3
flat 25.4
flat 26.6
hills 24.2
hills 23.6
hills 27.6
hills 25.3
hills 26.9
hills 26.7
flat 22.9
flat 26.9
Average 26.6 mpg after 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of the few things that I like about my quinox if the fuel milage. Got 45000km on it, and if you sit right at the 95-100 km/hr, I will be in the 30mpg range (about 7.5L/100km). But if you push it to anything more than that, it really likes to drink up the gas. "Normal" driving 70 mph 120 kph brings that down into the 25 mpg (8.5 to 9.0 L/100 km) range.

·
Registered
378 Posts
lurker18 said:
One of the few things that I like about my quinox if the fuel milage. Got 45000km on it, and if you sit right at the 95-100 km/hr, I will be in the 30mpg range (about 7.5L/100km). But if you push it to anything more than that, it really likes to drink up the gas. "Normal" driving 70 mph 120 kph brings that down into the 25 mpg (8.5 to 9.0 L/100 km) range.
That's the biggest thing I did not expect when buying this car. I expected better overall mileage than my Impala because it was rated 3+ MPG better, but because of the size and weight, going faster is so much less efficient, so in 70mph driving, the I4 is really hurting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where did that screen shot come from that daj posted in the original post? Is that a display on the navigation system or is that also included somewhere on the non-navigation system? I ordered an AWD LTZ Equinoz and just curious. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
DTunnell said:
Where did that screen shot come from that daj posted in the original post? Is that a display on the navigation system or is that also included somewhere on the non-navigation system? I ordered an AWD LTZ Equinoz and just curious. Thank you.
That's a screen shot of an iphone app..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I pulled in 30 today on my AWD I-4, 224 miles 7.46 gallons to first click on pump. The trip was hwy 70 mph about 1/2 way and the rest was country driving at 62 mph. Temps outside were 18 degress and it was on a fresh fill of Shell 87 octane.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congrats!

1 - 20 of 350 Posts