GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've driven our new Terrain V6 awd a little over a 1,000 miles. The first 100 miles of it was in the Colorado mountains, the rest on interstate 80 coming back to Iowa. Overall, we averaged 23.2mpg. I'm pretty pumped about that mileage on a brand new car/engine. It's a very comfortable suv with a minimum amount of road/outside noise. So far, we luv it!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats, that is good mileage. I'm averaging around 22mpg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First trip to Austin from Louisiana and i averaged 24.9 with 1000 miles on the car. In city I am getting around 19 but i drive a little harder in city. only 1116 on there now. v6 AWD

·
Registered
72 Posts
This makes me excited about mine. Can't wait to get it but I was worried the gas mileage would suck with the v6 and AWD. good news! I do have a lead foot though.

Current: 1999 Chevy Lumina
On order: 2012 Carbon Black GMC Terrain V6 AWD

·
Registered
315 Posts
This was from a trip in my V6 FWD (re-tuned though, but not for mpg)...Typically I dont watch the V6 mpg, as its always around town, tows alot, and does alot of idle time. But when I take it on road trips, cruise @ 75 generally gets me 24mpg average (which is very respectable with its rated 25mpg)

V6-
426 miles/17.2gal/24.8mpg (cruise @ 75)
332 miles/15.2gal/21.9mpg (cruise @ 75 hills entire trip)
268 miles/13.2gal/20.3mpg (city, then cruise @ 80-100)
317miles/15.3gal/20.7mpg (hlls cruise @ 80-100)
419miles/17.3gal/24.2mpg (cruise @ 75)
227miles/9.0gal/25.2mpg (cruise @ 75)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks for helping me Kick myself more for not getting the V6!! :banghead:

Im getting 19-21 MPG on my I-4 AWD..in ECO mode...

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
If I knew all of this a year ago, I would also have bought the V-6. However, I am extremely with my I-4, but I seem to be in the minority. I am happy with the economy, the performance, and it's reliability. I wish everyone had my "luck".

·
Registered
315 Posts
RIT333 said:
If I knew all of this a year ago, I would also have bought the V-6. However, I am extremely with my I-4, but I seem to be in the minority. I am happy with the economy, the performance, and it's reliability. I wish everyone had my "luck".
I have no issues w/ the I4...I like my work Nox...For what it is, its a nice setup...Vs its competitors it gets the best mpg. Just look at averages from fuelly, the Nox is a few mpg higher then its competitors...but in the end, 3900lbs moving @ 75mph....its not going to get 32mpg at those speeds. I'm happy with the near 27mpg avg I get with it right now (about right vs the epa "combined" but I do 85% hwy @ cruise). My previous 2009 Impala was running similar mpg, and rated @ 30mpg highway...so even that car didnt acheive its rated, it comes down to speed honestly. Drive the I4 slow (60-65mph), and it gets great gas mileage

But I do like my V6 much better ;D

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,848 Posts
I was getting 22-23 mpg in mostly city driving the first 5600 miles (with the factory oil still in there), but recently I took a 3000 mile trip and got between 26 and 28 mpg on full interstate driving. I was very surprised the vehicle did that well. I changed the oil just before the trip, using Pennzoil Platium Full Synthetic 5w/30 ($18.79 @ Wal-Mart). Put 6 quarts in per the owner's manual (even though only 5.5 of the factory oil came out ... and it was black water).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Colt Hero said:
I was getting 22-23 mpg in mostly city driving the first 5600 miles (with the factory oil still in there), but recently I took a 3000 mile trip and got between 26 and 28 mpg on full interstate driving. I was very surprised the vehicle did that well. I changed the oil just before the trip, using Pennzoil Platium Full Synthetic 5w/30 ($18.79 @ Wal-Mart). Put 6 quarts in per the owner's manual (even though only 5.5 of the factory oil came out ... and it was black water).
Mine takes 6.25qts using the PF69 filter!

The V6 EATS oil...Yours is on a diet and only doing 1/2 quart, mine likes a full quart (but that was pushing 8K oil change)

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,848 Posts
grometsc said:
Mine takes 6.25qts using the PF69 filter!

The V6 EATS oil...Yours is on a diet and only doing 1/2 quart, mine likes a full quart (but that was pushing 8K oil change)
I just put in a SuperTech filter. Looked identical to the factory A/C Delco filter. The PF69 must be a little bigger? And that's by Purolator (I'm guessing)?

On my other cars (all bought new), I've always changed the oil between 3k and 4k (and normally right around 3500). I might end up doing the same thing with the Equinox (using dino oil). But first we'll see how the Pennzoil synthetic comes out at 5k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
grometsc said:
This was from a trip in my V6 FWD (re-tuned though, but not for mpg)...Typically I dont watch the V6 mpg, as its always around town, tows alot, and does alot of idle time. But when I take it on road trips, cruise @ 75 generally gets me 24mpg average (which is very respectable with its rated 25mpg)

V6-
426 miles/17.2gal/24.8mpg (cruise @ 75)
332 miles/15.2gal/21.9mpg (cruise @ 75 hills entire trip)
268 miles/13.2gal/20.3mpg (city, then cruise @ 80-100)
317miles/15.3gal/20.7mpg (hlls cruise @ 80-100)
419miles/17.3gal/24.2mpg (cruise @ 75)
227miles/9.0gal/25.2mpg (cruise @ 75)
I got my Terrain for three weeks, mostly drive @60-80 km/hr. it turned out that I got around 19 mpg so far, it is the combination (75% in city and 25% on highway). But I saw one ad from Hyundai Santa fe, it says hwy mpg for 4-cyl Santa fee could be 39 mpg, which is really really surprised me. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I guess I have the worst Terrain 6cyl in the world. After reading all your mpg's here - I know I do. Ever since I got it back in March 2010 I have never gotten more then 15 mpg - except once I did get 17 mpg on the highway doing 60/65mph.
I drive somewhat conservatively most of the time and on occation I do jackrabbit starts.

Lately, every time I get in the car I reset the average mpg gage. I drive as sedately as I can and at the end of each ride the readout says 20 to 23 mpg. When it comes time to fill up the tank, I maually divide the total mileage with the amount of gas I put in. It always comes out to 15 mpg + or - .5 mpg. ALWAYS. How can that be? Must be that the gage calibration is way off, but the dealer says it checks out OK. Something's wrong somewhere.
Every other car I've owned from 6cyl to 8 cyl. I've always got at least 18 mpg driving the same way I do now. I believe some of it has a do with my oil being diluted with gas 4%.

I just can't figure how everyone else gets such great milage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
GARYD said:
I guess I have the worst Terrain 6cyl in the world. After reading all your mpg's here - I know I do. Ever since I got it back in March 2010 I have never gotten more then 15 mpg - except once I did get 17 mpg on the highway doing 60/65mph.
I drive somewhat conservatively most of the time and on occation I do jackrabbit starts.

Lately, every time I get in the car I reset the average mpg gage. I drive as sedately as I can and at the end of each ride the readout says 20 to 23 mpg. When it comes time to fill up the tank, I maually divide the total mileage with the amount of gas I put in. It always comes out to 15 mpg + or - .5 mpg. ALWAYS. How can that be? Must be that the gage calibration is way off, but the dealer says it checks out OK. Something's wrong somewhere.
Every other car I've owned from 6cyl to 8 cyl. I've always got at least 18 mpg driving the same way I do now. I believe some of it has a do with my oil being diluted with gas 4%.

Hi Gary, have you ever received any type of PCM / ECM update regarding this issue?

·
Registered
315 Posts
GARYD said:

Your getting EXACTLY what one would expect with your setup! :banghead:

V6 AWD is rated 16 City/22 Highway

EPA test with Pure gas, no ac use except for a few minutes, and the highest speed is 60mph.

You as well have the upgraded 19" wheels right? They dont test those as thats an upgrade...I would/should expect worse because you have a different final gear ratio, and heavier rims.

Where is the issue if your coming in @ 15 +/- .5mpg? You dont have the worst V6 mpg...Its doing exactly as its suppose to do.

I believe some of it has a do with my oil being diluted with gas 4%.
:confused: :facepalm: So let me understand this logic! Your oil has 4% fuel in it, and if you didnt have that fuel in the oil, but was used instead during combustion (or not even used)...You would get better mpg over the life of your oil?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
No, I would think I'd get better mpg because the oil would be doing a better job of lubricating = less friction = better milage.

My window sticker says 18 mpg city.
Why does the gage say I'm getting 23 mpg when it's only getting 15?

Others have pretty much the same set up I have and they say they're getting better milage.
I've had other cars similar to the Terrain and got better milage.

Lem, I brought it in to 2 dealers about the problem, so if there was an update you would think they would do it.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,848 Posts
GARYD said:

For the first 5600 miles since new I was doing mostly around town driving (but a lot of 45-55 speed range with not a LOT of stop and go ... so kind of ideal actually). I was getting about 425 miles to the tank. I'd drive it right down to the last gallon and fill it up with 19 gallons of gas. I did this for at least the first 10 fill-ups and it worked out to around 22 mpg.

Are you saying that if you do the same thing you're only covering about 285 miles (15 x 19)?

I have the V6 too, but it's not AWD. Still, that should only cut your fuel economy by 1 mpg or so. Do you have to drive a lot of hilly terrain? What kind of weather are you driving in? I'm in the SouthEast where it's been warm (enough) since March. Now, I DID drive like an old lady for those first 10 fill-ups or so, accelerating very slowly and evenly from a stop. The wife doesn't drive that way, so I'm sure her numbers don't look as good as mine. But the highway mileage really surprised me because I thought driving 70-75 mph (like I always do on these long hauls) would drop my mileage way down ... but it didn't. One other thing I noticed was the higher fuel economy number (28) MAY have been the result of using name-brand gas (Shell), but I'm not sure of that. The lower number (26) was achieved with WaWa gas (generic), but then again it could've just been terrain, wind, who knows???

1 - 20 of 51 Posts