GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the forum here but have been reading alot of posts. We have had are 2011 Equinox now for about 5 months now and 7,000 miles. Since then the gas mileage is not what I have expected. I have been dealing with my representative from Chevy for about a month now with no sucess. So far the car has recieved the first oil change, tire rotation, recall work for ticking noise on the fuel line when starting up, recall work for ecu reprogramming and camshaft actuators. I had the awful startup noise but that seems to have gone away since the recall work. As of now we drive our car mixed highway and city and are averaging 20.2 mpg. Chevy says that is an acceptable number and they cannot do anything about it. They offered a years worth of maintenance for the trouble I have been having but that was only after I asked for some compensation. When I purchased the vehicle the salesman said we could get 600 miles on a tank of gas. Now I obviously know that was a little far fetched but it is dissapointing when you get only barely close to 400 miles if i run it bone dry 19.5 gallons. The fuel gauge seems to move so quickly and I am trying to explain to them that there has to be something wrong but they say no. Dealer refused to do anything, I had to initiate the complaint myself with GM. I understand that my highway trips are not that long but my street driving is also around 45-50mph and the mileage is terrible. I personally think that this motor is underpowered for the size of the vehicle and the car just feels lousy. I am going to continue to complain about it. I have always had Honda vehicles and I am regretting not buying the CR-V that I originally was going to. I got sold on the nice features and price of the Chevy. I mean they should adleast try to correct the problem by swapping ecu or something but they say since there are no diagnostic codes everything is ok. I told my GM rep that there are a ton of complaints online about this. He was very rude and said "ya and everything you read on the internet is true". I am very dissapointed and will never buy a Chevy again.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have 28K on my 2011 Terrain I-4 and Im getting the same MPG...around 20...(AWD too)

I also still have the rattling startup.

I have seen where others are getting better MPG than me...Some say its my driving, but My last 2.4 I-4 engine did better than this.. I really think the MPG issue is also related to the other issues I have on my vehicle...that might explain why others have no issues with their I-4 AND better MPG..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adleast you have the AWD, mine is FWD and averaging 20. Normal according to Chevy. I mean if I am being unreasonable then someone tell me so I wont complain. I think I have a legitimate complaint. Like I said, I mean if anyone thinks im wrong then lemme know so I understand. I could totally understand if I was flooring it light to light and warming up the car for 10-15 minutes in the morning but im not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't reset the MPG in over a 1000 miles and I'm getting exactly 25.0 miles per gallon with mixed driving. I'm happy with that!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
MochaNoxx1422 said:
Adleast you have the AWD, mine is FWD and averaging 20. Normal according to Chevy. I mean if I am being unreasonable then someone tell me so I wont complain. I think I have a legitimate complaint. Like I said, I mean if anyone thinks im wrong then lemme know so I understand. I could totally understand if I was flooring it light to light and warming up the car for 10-15 minutes in the morning but im not.
No thats not normal...I have heard of some low MPG...but 20 with FWD!?...

·
Registered
371 Posts
We were averaging 24+ with mixed driving since August until cold set in. It's looking like 20, maybe 21mpg for a tank average as the winter temps have kicked in. Of course if the wife remote starts it a lot it won't even see 20. I try not focus much on our town mileage in the winter cuz any vehicle's mpg will suck in the winter, but I still expect to see at least high 20's on the highway. We will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't speak for the 2.4L, but we are averaging 17mpg in our 2011 with the 3.0L V6 and AWD. We just drove 1,000 miles to/from Ohio for thanksgiving, and at 75mph, we managed a hair over 24mpg (hand calculated, computer said 23.7). So far I'm pleased with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the post again, hit post by mistake. I had it out with the very rude rep on the phone today and he is insisting that 20mpg mixed is too close to the normal average so they cant do anything. I spoke with his supervisor and they offered me basically a years worth of regular maintenance for free for my trouble. I am very dissapointed in the whole matter. I cant believe they wouldnt even try to swap ecu's or do something to try and correct the problem. The dealer has basically said the car isnt throwing any diagnostic codes and everything is normal. They are telling me that the norm is 26mpg mixed and 20 is very close to that. Does anyone know what else I can do about this. I hope I am not being unreasonable with the situation. I understand that the climate is getting colder here and winter fuel, etc.... but right now I have 170 miles on the trip and it shows 130 till empty. Thats 300 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Do you have a case number regarding your concern? I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have my case number I will contact you soon, I have to work all day today Saturday and cannot use the computer. I just wish there was something that could be done!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I reset mine on every fill, because my car has other issues, so I've been monitoring mile mileage changes.

I'm down to about 19 mpg for the current tank.

MochaNoxx- my concern would be that the start-up noise and other issues of yours may be on it's way back. My mileage dropped to 17 mpg when the start-up noise was at it's worst. Whatever you do, I wouldn't take a "settlement" or anything from them. Just keep everything documented. Mine has start-up noise, and stalling problems, however it's currently in the stage where the car hasn't started stalling again yet, but it's repeating the same pattern as before when it happened. Mine has been through 4 repairs for the same problem, and the start-up noise is still there. GM is replacing my car.

The longest my car went with no problems in between repairs, was about 3 months, and 4,000 miles, approximately. So keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also you do realize that gas mileage is going to drop quite badly during the winter. Due both to running in open-loop longer during warm up, and winter gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure I know it will but even in the summer/fall its been the same. Also I think that Sumr is right because today it did sound kind of odd again upon startup. Not like before but like you said on its way back again. The feels so sluggish at times and normal at other times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have grown to accept our poor gas mileage. I will say that if I read what my vehicle SAYS my fuel mileage is it sounds about right. BUT when I check it myself at fill ups,I see what I am really getting and 400 per tank is about right. No matter how conservatively I drive. My wife loves the vehicle though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well looks like Tricia agrees with my customer service agent dealing with my case. I am now getting 20.0 average mpg combined city highway and that is normal to them. I have never seen a company who wont even try to correct the problem by maybe swapping ecu's or double checking the recall work they did. The dealer doesnt even want to touch it. I guess they were happy only when the salesman lied and told me I would get great gas mileage and took my hard earned money. I traded in an Escape 6 cylinder with over 100,000 miles and it got better gas mileage. Its a shame that people have to be treated this way and have to have there hard earned money taken on a falsely advertised product. A few years back I had Honda replace an ECU in one of my vehicles 4 years after the warranty was expired for free since it was part of a bulletin that I wasnt aware of in the first year I owned the car and the problem didnt show up until years later. Thats customer service and people who stand behind their product. I guess I am stuck with it. I tell you one thing I will NEVER buy another GM product again and I will be sure to share my info with everyone. I would trade it in tomorrow if I didnt loose my butt on it probably. Oh well one more future customer gone.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Just curious - why do you think that changing the ECU will cure your problems ? I haven't heard of anyone doing that with the Theta platform. What does the dealer say when you suggest it ?

THX

Rit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why is there so much crying over the MPG? It is rare any vehicle can get the numbers stated on the sticker!

It should be expected for a vehicle this size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer says no codes then there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. That was just a suggestion I had that maybe instead of reflashing the ECU they put in a new unit. I am not familiar if its possible to do so or not on this platform. It was a suggestion I had that maybe it could help.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts