GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this? There is a noticeable gap where the driver's door meets the driver side of the dashboard. Almost like the door panel isn't high enough. It looks fine on the passenger side. Ill try to post a pic asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
The alignment on my Nox is off slightly when comparing the two doors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Its just slightly. But I cant tella s to why. But if it's supposed to be that way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Did you try comparing this to similar vehicles? Please keep me posted in regards to what you find. I can even look into this for you on my end with the last eight of your VIN. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello!
I too have very uneven gaps between the dash and door panels on my 2012 Equinox. Took it to the dealer to have service advisor look at it. He told me there are certain "tolerances" in the manufacturing and assembly process, so some variance in gaps on either side can be expected. I've never owned a Chevy vehicle before this one, but this just seems like sloppy manufacturing and/or assembly. Posted are pics of my dash and door panels. These pictures actually make the gaps look better than they really are. I hope other aspects of my Equinox don't suffer from the same poor design and quality as the interior panels. Unfortunately, the only solution is to tear apart door panels or the dash, which would only make things worse.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I work @ a GM plant that makes the chevy /gmc full size trucks when we have gaps like this we open the door then pull up or push down a bit to help line then up better. To push down put 1 hand @ the top of the door and 1 on the inside handle and push down.to move it up hand on the inside handle and side of the window bar and push down. Just a bit try either way and see if it helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Bhacker15 said:
I work @ a GM plant that makes the chevy /gmc full size trucks when we have gaps like this we open the door then pull up or push down a bit to help line then up better. To push down put 1 hand @ the top of the door and 1 on the inside handle and push down.to move it up hand on the inside handle and side of the window bar and push down. Just a bit try either way and see if it helps
Wow - pretty scientific ! So, basically, it sounds like you bend the hinges ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Same here. I noticed the gaps, soon after I received my nox. While both gaps are not the same width, they are still better then the gaps I had in my Jeep Compass. :facepalm:
I asked dealer if the panels could be adjusted. No answer.
Other then the rear hatch door rattling (even after two visits to dealer,) the gaps were the only issue of quality control that I can complain about with the interior.
None-the-less, those gaps still stare at me, all the time. :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I have the same issue in my 2012 2LT nox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
hinges don't bend you have a little play up/down thats why i put just a bit .its not like you are pulling hard as you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
This is what is called a hard point in a car and for years most cars were not even or even small in gap size as it made it eaiser to assemble the car.

Today they are starting to make dashes that wrap more and more into the doors and it is harder to hide these gaps. Noting when the Theta platform was originated the points here may just not be as tight as they would be on many of the newer platforms.

Also some car hide the gaps better than others too in the way the doors meet the dash.

While most people never notice GM has started to step up and cut interior and panel gaps on most of the newer cars coming out. Note the leading hood gap on the new just shown 2014 Impala. There is little gap all together.

While the Terrain is a big improvment over the older Theta models it still has somethings that need addressed and they will be in the next plarform replacment.

You will not fined issues like this in the new coming ATS Alpha plaform. Many of the rule changes Lutz put in will catch up with the new models he signed off on. While cars like the Malibu and Nox or Terrain are greatly improved there is much to come in improvments in the near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
hyperv6 said:
This is what is called a hard point in a car and for years most cars were not even or even small in gap size as it made it eaiser to assemble the car.

Today they are starting to make dashes that wrap more and more into the doors and it is harder to hide these gaps. Noting when the Theta platform was originated the points here may just not be as tight as they would be on many of the newer platforms.

Also some car hide the gaps better than others too in the way the doors meet the dash.

While most people never notice GM has started to step up and cut interior and panel gaps on most of the newer cars coming out. Note the leading hood gap on the new just shown 2014 Impala. There is little gap all together.

While the Terrain is a big improvment over the older Theta models it still has somethings that need addressed and they will be in the next plarform replacment.

You will not fined issues like this in the new coming ATS Alpha plaform. Many of the rule changes Lutz put in will catch up with the new models he signed off on. While cars like the Malibu and Nox or Terrain are greatly improved there is much to come in improvments in the near future.

these cars are still miles ahead of GM of old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
NODES said:
these cars are still miles ahead of GM of old.
Yes these are examples of what Bob Lutz could do with the old platform. He really did a good job. But with that said the new platforms are going to even leap what improvments here that they could not make with the old platform. Also development money will advance the improvments even more.

Things were so bad when Lutz cam he had to redo the GP as fast as they could to bring it to market. The 04 was not what he wanted but it was all they could do in a short time. The First Lacross was delayed a year and they were limited to what they could change. That is why the second Lacrosse on the newer platform came so soon.

Watch the new Alpha platform as it is an example of what is to come. They delivered a RWD platform that can come in under 3200 pounds and have a better more solid platform. The new trucks are up and then the Vette. Each will show greater and greater changes and improvments. GM is just now getting to be even in quality with most of the leading MFG. They should move ahead with the newer platforms that are to come.

Take a drive in the Cruze or Verano and see what they did with a small car. It is amazing.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top