"When it sounds to good to be true, it IS too good to be true !"

However, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
315 Posts
SloViper said:
Anybody heard anything about this before
http://www.gforcechips.com/chevroletequinox.aspx
No, and its definitely a scam. First off our engines do not have "chips" in them any more, that went away in the mid 90's when OBD 1.5 started coming on board, and then completely with OBDII

I have heard of trifecta tuning though, and they do have ecm reprograms available as I have been trying it out. LF1 has responded better than expected to being re-tuned, I'll have a video of before/after eventually once we the tranny program has been worked out somemore.

Edit...just read it even more lol....Its just a IAT temp resistor change that iwll do nothing but make the car think its colder outside than it is, which will keep the car running rich (not good for DI, they like LEAN)

And to top it off...the V6 I know doesnt use a IAT as they claim, we use a TMAP attached to the airbox ;)

So yea....SCAM

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes SCAM...

http://www.performancechips.com/performance-chip-reviews.html

Performance Chip Reviews
At PerformanceChips.com we have reviewed performance chips from less than $10 to over $500. Finding the perfect performance chip for your vehicle can be difficult and take many hours of research. However, we have compiled a list of performance chips that we have tested below. Our tests were conducted on a dynojet dyno at the exact same conditions on bone stock engine setups. These tests were conducted without any different variables involved so we could establish the best performance from the performance chips. The vehicles conducted in the tests were: 2006 Ford F-150, 2007 Ford Mustang, 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and a 1997 Nissan 240sx. Below we will give you a review based on several factors from ordering to shipping and then performance numbers.

1. SLR Motorsports Performance Chip (Rated #2 Performance Chip)

Ordering Process: 5/5
Shipping Speed: 5/5
Customer Service: 5/5
Return Policy: 5/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 5/5 (Average gain was 36 WHP and 28 WTQ)
Average MPG Gain: 5/5 (Average MPG Gain was 5-6 MPG)
Cost of product: $69.99

2. RS4 Performance Chip (Rated #1 Performance Chip)

Average HP and Torque Gain: 5/5 (Average gain was 38 WHP and 31 WTQ)
Average MPG Gain: 5/5 (Average MPG Gain was 4-7 MPG)

3. RS4 Performance Gas Saver Chip (Rated #1 Gas Saving Chip)

Average HP and Torque Gain: 5/5 (Average gain was 29 WHP and 24 WTQ)
Average MPG Gain: 5/5 (Average MPG Gain was 6/9 City/Highway)
Cost of product: $89.99

4. Performance Chips Direct PCD Chip Version 3.0

Ordering Process: 2/5
Shipping Speed: 1/5
Customer Service: 1/5
Return Policy: 1/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 1/5 (Every Vehicle Tested actually lost 5-10 horsepower)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (Every Vehicle Tested lost 2-3 MPG)

5. Engine Performance Chip Power Chip X2 and O2 Sensor chip
Shipping Speed: 2/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 1/5 (Both chips tested actually lost 1-12 horsepower)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (Every Vehicle Tested lost 1-4 MPG)
Cost of product: $69.99 for Power chip X2
Cost of product: $39.00 for Oxygen Sensor Chip

6. Jet Chip - Performance Programmer
Ordering Process: 3/5
Shipping Speed: 3/5
Customer Service: 2/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 2/5 (Each Vehicle we tested gained 3-12 horsepower)
Average MPG Gain: 2/5 (Every Vehicle Tested gained 1-2 MPG)
Cost of product: $337.49

7. Horsepower Chips HPC Performance Chip Stage 1(New Flash)
Average HP and Torque Gain: 1/5 (Every Vehicle Tested actually lost 2-13 horsepower)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (Every Vehicle Tested lost 2-6 MPG)
Cost of product: $69.00

8. Hypertech Performance Chip - Max Energy Power Programmer

Ordering Process: 3/5
Shipping Speed: 2/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 3/5 (Every Vehicle Tested gained 5-14 horsepower)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (Gains Varied from 0-1 MPG)
Cost of product: $379.99

9.Superchips Performance Chip - Cortex Programmer

Ordering Process: 4/5
Shipping Speed: 3/5
Return Policy: 2/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 2/5 (For each vehicle tested we noticed 2-9 HP gains)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (We saw no improvement in fuel efficiency)
Cost of product: $363.99

10.G-Force Performance Chip - GforceChips

Ordering Process: 1/5
Average HP and Torque Gain: 1/5 (For each vehicle tested we noticed a loss of 8-15 HP)
Average MPG Gain: 1/5 (We notice huge losses in MPG. These varied from 3-10 MPG.)
Cost of product: $69.00
NOTE: We did notice an engine knock after using this chip. We do not recommend this chip.[/color]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
SuperMat64- the G-force chip most likely is a scam, but you also have to be careful of these so-called "review" websites that often own or are at least affiliated with the products that are reviewed most highly. For example, as a test I clicked on the "SLR Motorsports" ad banner on that site (their #2 rated chip btw) and saw that they offered a "chip" for the 2005-2010 Equinox...but make no distinction between the 3.4 V6, 3.6 V6, 3.0 V6 and the 2.4 I4 that could be in a Chevy Equinox of that range of years. are we supposed to believe there is some magic universal chip that will provide horsepower/mileage gains for each of those engines?

·
Registered
830 Posts
NoobNox said:
SuperMat64- the G-force chip most likely is a scam, but you also have to be careful of these so-called "review" websites that often own or are at least affiliated with the products that are reviewed most highly. For example, as a test I clicked on the "SLR Motorsports" ad banner on that site (their #2 rated chip btw) and saw that they offered a "chip" for the 2005-2010 Equinox...but make no distinction between the 3.4 V6, 3.6 V6, 3.0 V6 and the 2.4 I4 that could be in a Chevy Equinox of that range of years. are we supposed to believe there is some magic universal chip that will provide horsepower/mileage gains for each of those engines?
I know, they are all scam. Possible exception for Jet Chip and Hypertech.

I posted that link to show all the scams and i have highlighted the G-Force since it is the subject of the thread..

·
Registered
30 Posts
grometsc said:
No, and its definitely a scam. First off our engines do not have "chips" in them any more, that went away in the mid 90's when OBD 1.5 started coming on board, and then completely with OBDII

I have heard of trifecta tuning though, and they do have ecm reprograms available as I have been trying it out. LF1 has responded better than expected to being re-tuned, I'll have a video of before/after eventually once we the tranny program has been worked out somemore.

Edit...just read it even more lol....Its just a IAT temp resistor change that iwll do nothing but make the car think its colder outside than it is, which will keep the car running rich (not good for DI, they like LEAN)

And to top it off...the V6 I know doesnt use a IAT as they claim, we use a TMAP attached to the airbox ;)

So yea....SCAM
I'm only speaking for the Ford vehicles I've had, but I had a 2001 F350 diesel that you could "chip". It also worked on F150 trucks as well and I know my current 2003 F150 could have a chip installed. On the computer, there is a slot on the backside that you clean the epoxy coating off to expose the contacts and slide a chip in. This is what's called a "flip chip", where you can change the tunes on the fly. All you had to do was have your foot off the fuel pedal before changing the tunes. I don't know about cars, but in trucks there are still "chips". Oh, these vehicles still had the OBDII ports as you could also use programmers if you didn't want to do the chip route.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yep, in the last few years, GM trucks are no longer "chipable". You can buy a $300 to $1000 hand programmer though. Take it into and out of different performance/towing/gas saving modes. When OBD computers were first starting to appear in vehicles, they were really bad about programming them for great performance on many vehicles. That's when these chips became popular. Today all makers program their vehicles extremely well. Setting them for the best performance in almost all situations. And, in newer GM vehicles the computers actually adjust their own programming on-the-fly under different driving conditions. If you talked with a service advisor at a GM dealership about this, they might tell you to "drive a few miles" after something changes. Like for example while towing or not, or after a different set of tires are put in the vehicle. The vehicle will change it's parameters to meet the need of the driving.

My recommendation: Don't bother. If you must, at least wait until you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
315 Posts
lromero said:
I'm only speaking for the Ford vehicles I've had, but I had a 2001 F350 diesel that you could "chip". It also worked on F150 trucks as well and I know my current 2003 F150 could have a chip installed. On the computer, there is a slot on the backside that you clean the epoxy coating off to expose the contacts and slide a chip in. This is what's called a "flip chip", where you can change the tunes on the fly. All you had to do was have your foot off the fuel pedal before changing the tunes. I don't know about cars, but in trucks there are still "chips". Oh, these vehicles still had the OBDII ports as you could also use programmers if you didn't want to do the chip route.
That was a piggy back...

And those are rarely any good as well tbh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts