GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I tried looking for pictures of the factory sub here and on google but got nothing! so this morning i ripped out all the plastic and pulled the sub out (if you don't know how to remove door panels or trim panels it might be slightly daunting, but its just a car).

Things I found out, its a dual voice coil sub box says its a 2.5ohm but my fluke measured 2 ohm; someone else mentioned the 4cly and the v6 have the same sub this makes sense since there were wires connected to both coils

Mounting depth is about 3 3/4 or so unless you want to cut out the plastic nub/standoff and patch the hole. The nub/standoff has a bolt that screws into the back of the sub to help with the weight i suppose.

The box has no insulation or matting padding whatever its called

If your thinking of mounting your amp right under the spare tire it might be a tight fit unless your amp is pretty small, I am thinking about mounting the amp behind the left side panel but didn't have enough time to remove it today, mtn biking was more important.

I am going to go with a shallow 8" sub single voice coil and say screw it to the ANC thing...I had it disconnected for the whole day, car was in "ECO" mode and the only thing I can tell it helps reduce is the rummbling sound at low rpm, sort of like a stick shift car when in a higher gear than it should be.

Sorry pics are Mr blury cam iphone4s and I can't post links? cuz im a newb? I don't read forum rules

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0193.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0185.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0192.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0191.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0189.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0188.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
chad99 said:
Alright I tried looking for pictures of the factory sub here and on google but got nothing! so this morning i ripped out all the plastic and pulled the sub out (if you don't know how to remove door panels or trim panels it might be slightly daunting, but its just a car).

Things I found out, its a dual voice coil sub box says its a 2.5ohm but my fluke measured 2 ohm; someone else mentioned the 4cly and the v6 have the same sub this makes sense since there were wires connected to both coils

Mounting depth is about 3 3/4 or so unless you want to cut out the plastic nub/standoff and patch the hole. The nub/standoff has a bolt that screws into the back of the sub to help with the weight i suppose.

The box has no insulation or matting padding whatever its called

If your thinking of mounting your amp right under the spare tire it might be a tight fit unless your amp is pretty small, I am thinking about mounting the amp behind the left side panel but didn't have enough time to remove it today, mtn biking was more important.

I am going to go with a shallow 8" sub single voice coil and say screw it to the ANC thing...I had it disconnected for the whole day, car was in "ECO" mode and the only thing I can tell it helps reduce is the rummbling sound at low rpm, sort of like a stick shift car when in a higher gear than it should be.

Sorry pics are Mr blury cam iphone4s and I can't post links? cuz im a newb? I don't read forum rules

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0193.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0185.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0192.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0191.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0189.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/racingtoys/equinoxcrap/IMG_0188.jpg
Here you go. I thought others may be interested in see the photos, too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see any markings on the sub and I have the 4 cly which doesn't use the sub for music, it just uses it for the ANC so I don't really have an amp.

If I have time this weekend I will try to install my 250W RMS amp, stuff the box full of matting and pound it as hard as it can go. I already ordered a shallow mount sub so if I kill the stock sub it won't matter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished installing my amp and replacing the sub...ended up mounting amp behind left rear panel, also dropped down the courtesy light cables as per other peoples posts.

Some problems i ran into using the stock box, if you want to replace the sub you have to dremel down the 4 nubs around the speaker hole and where the wires enter, I think they did this to prevent you from putting in any sub.

The JL stealth box is excellent, but this is my company car and there is no way i would drop that much $ for it.

After bumping it for a few miles (and bump it does) I realize how much less of a sub a 8" is compared to the 12" im used to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So did your factory radio already control the sub or did you have to add something in order to make it work for the radio and not just ANC.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So are you saying the non-pioneer system does not use the sub for music?

·
Registered
67 Posts
i put my ear right by it and it does boom. 2012 4 cyl
it makes no sense to install the darn thing and use it for anc only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nodes sorry I guess maybe because mine is a company car with the onstar delete my sub doesn't work? because I'm sure my factory sub didn't work even with my ear next to it on a bass track

Either way I'm positive none of your factory subs (premimum or not) pound anywhere close to my setup right now.

For those of you interested I am running my high level inputs off the rear speakers which are tapped off from the factory amp located under and just left of the steering column and I have a remote gain control from the amp located next to the obd connectors

It's a bit of work but if you are wanting more bass and have a few hours it's a good investment. I listen to rock,rap, hip hop, pop, classical and Hawaiian music and put on about 30,000 miles a year so i need a good sound system.

·
Registered
249 Posts
While a bigger, better sub is a decent addition, I find the stock 8" very adequate for my 2011 Nox. And the ANC is a great feature, that I would not wanna disable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree if I was older or didn't care for bass I would be satisfied with the stock 8" (if mine worked) even without the sub working its not that bad.

I am still running a 8" sub since im using the same factory box, its just a much better sub and amp.

·
Registered
673 Posts
my last car had a good aftermarket setup, but this system is not too shabby at all.

I drive a lot and love my assorted music.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am doing a similar install in my 2012 1LT and I was wondering if any of you guys have found a wiring diagram anywhere for this vehicle. I have done several after market installs and never had any trouble but I cant find one for this vehicle. Any help would be amazing!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts