GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of any future engine upgrades or options down the road for the Terrain/Nox? Maybe a 2.8 Turbo or 2.0 Turbo option for a "performance" model for those of use who like to accelerate while driving and aren't too worried about MPG's...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Who doesn't like to accelerate?

I think GM is working on a twin turbo version of the 3.0L. That would be great!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Everyone enjoys acceleration and plenty of power to play around with, but when you start talking twin turbos and getting more and more power for the Nox/Terrain/SRX.....you also risk taking gas mileage to near big truck levels. For example, the GMC Sierra full size 4 door truck is capable of 22mpg highway with a 5.3L V8, and if a Nox/Terrain with a twin turbo is rated @24-25 MPG highway then it would be difficult to justify giving up the size/utility of the full size truck for 2-3 MPG. Even the increased cost of the twin turbo (and modified engine, trans) and whatever wheel/trim package GM will surely bundle it with could bring it up near the price of a decently equipped 4 door Sierra. Just a thought..

·
Registered
33 Posts
NoobNox said:
Everyone enjoys acceleration and plenty of power to play around with, but when you start talking twin turbos and getting more and more power for the Nox/Terrain/SRX.....you also risk taking gas mileage to near big truck levels. For example, the GMC Sierra full size 4 door truck is capable of 22mpg highway with a 5.3L V8, and if a Nox/Terrain with a twin turbo is rated @24-25 MPG highway then it would be difficult to justify giving up the size/utility of the full size truck for 2-3 MPG. Even the increased cost of the twin turbo (and modified engine, trans) and whatever wheel/trim package GM will surely bundle it with could bring it up near the price of a decently equipped 4 door Sierra. Just a thought..
Correct, but I think he is saying for the performance minded buyer a TT setup or a more powerful motor. I am all for it, but GM dismantled their performance division during the BK. They, GM, have a business model closer to what Toyota has. Simple appliances. Good thing we still have the Vette.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Diesel. Clean, highly efficient, quiet, and powerful. Problem solved. I just don't get North America's aversion to diesel. It's a 40 year old mentality.

GM could easily source from Opel or another Eurpoean subsidiary, like they already do with the Astra and Aura. A 3 liter turbo-diesel would be perfect for the nox/terrain - 200ish HP, high-300 or low-400 torques, 30MPG.

A coworker of mine drives the BMW 335d, and man that thing is a beauty to drive. More torque than an M3, and as fuel efficient as a honda civic. 5 or 10 % cheaper at the pump. There's a reason why everyone in Europe drives diesel.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
scottyyyc said:
Diesel. Clean, highly efficient, quiet, and powerful. Problem solved. I just don't get North America's aversion to diesel. It's a 40 year old mentality.

GM could easily source from Opel or another Eurpoean subsidiary, like they already do with the Astra and Aura. A 3 liter turbo-diesel would be perfect for the nox/terrain - 200ish HP, high-300 or low-400 torques, 30MPG.

A coworker of mine drives the BMW 335d, and man that thing is a beauty to drive. More torque than an M3, and as fuel efficient as a honda civic. 5 or 10 % cheaper at the pump. There's a reason why everyone in Europe drives diesel.
I think the aversion comes from the mindset that diesels are for big rig trucks..and the smoky, noisy Mercedes/VW diesels of the past combined with Detroit's awful attempt at diesel engines soured a lot of people as well. Not to mention that when gas prices spiked a couple years ago, diesel was more expensive than regular unleaded and offset any gas mileage gains..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet the power to weight ratio on a HO TT V6 in the Terrain would be much better than a full-size Sierra 5.3...there is something to be said for a small suv/cuv that is right-sized and still can haul the mail...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
scottyyyc said:

The reason why everyone in Europe drives diesels because the tax and refinery system is set up to favor diesel. In the states, is for gasoline. That simple.

Plus, with the impending diesels regulations coming up, its just too expensive to offer a car with a diesel. The 1-ton trucks get it done because they are 2-3x the price so the truck pays for the engine.

Why do you think VW doesnt offer the diesel in the US with nothing but the highest trim model? ITs how they pay for the engine upgrade.

Even if diesel is more expensive, I still manage to save $40 a week compared to my wife driving the Terrain when we drive the same amount.

The only choice that makes sense is to add the 3.6 HFV6 and a turbo I4 to go along with the NA I4. Perfect mix then.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A turbo on the eco 4 would be awesome!!!! ;D

·
Registered
365 Posts
I system like the Chevy volt would be awesome too. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm pretty much feeling that the engines we have today are the same engines we'll have in the future. Guess we'll see!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
A Terrain with the 2.0 Tubro motor out of my Cobalt SS would be a nice combo.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It appears to me that the "new" GM has decided to target segments of the market with specific vehicles. In the past, they tried to make just about every model attractive to several segments of the market by engine options, trim packages and paint schemes. Their new business model seems to make sense to me as often times the cost of re-engineering a new "hot" engine was not really very cost effective due to limited sales volume. GM has their "hot" cars in the Camaro and the Vette. The Nox and the Terrain really are targeted at a totally different segment of the market so I doubt we'll be getting turbo engines or higher cubic inch V6's any time soon

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RSchleder said:
It appears to me that the "new" GM has decided to target segments of the market with specific vehicles. In the past, they tried to make just about every model attractive to several segments of the market by engine options, trim packages and paint schemes. Their new business model seems to make sense to me as often times the cost of re-engineering a new "hot" engine was not really very cost effective due to limited sales volume. GM has their "hot" cars in the Camaro and the Vette. The Nox and the Terrain really are targeted at a totally different segment of the market so I doubt we'll be getting turbo engines or higher cubic inch V6's any time soon
I think you're right..GM knows that Nox/Terrain buyers are looking for good utility, value and gas mileage and they can always step up to the Cadillac SRX for a bit more luxury and performance. Having said that, I wouldn't totally rule out some sort of sport model Nox/Terrain in the next 5 years or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've driven the Audi Q5 with Turbo 2.0L engine. It's AWD and about as heavy as the Terrain and it was a great engine with similar EPA ratings. GM should seriously consider lowering the compression a bit and adding a small turbo to the 2.4L (small turbo = quick response) and drop the V6 altogether. Either that, or go to a 4cyl turbo diesel so that we can get 40mpg highway and have enough torque to haul whatever.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ dropping the V6 could risk turning off some buyers, myself included. I would rather have a 300 HP naturally aspirated V6 than a turbo four. Fours just aren't as smooth as sixes.

I'm looking forward to the potential 3.0 twin turbo in the '13 SRX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts