GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Full Synthetic Dexos or Blend Dexos Oil

115K views 83 replies 21 participants last post by  2011LT2 
#1 ·
I called a few GMC dealers today checking out their prices for oil changes. Two GMC dealers told me that GM is now recommending only the GM blend Dexos spec oil for the Terrain. One dealer said they received a bulletin about 3 months ago with this information and he hinted at engine warranty issues if full synthetic oil was used.

Anyone else encounter this story?

#2 ·
Direct from the "horse's mouth"

>>>CLICK ME<<<

Be sure to click on the tab (Licensed Brands) contained in the link for additional information

The GM information contradicts some of what you were told

#3 ·
DavidPJ said:
I called a few GMC dealers today checking out their prices for oil changes. Two GMC dealers told me that GM is now recommending only the GM blend Dexos spec oil for the Terrain. One dealer said they received a bulletin about 3 months ago with this information and he hinted at engine warranty issues if full synthetic oil was used.

Anyone else encounter this story?
That's a bunch of bull. Almost all synthetic oils, most blends and many conventional brands meet GM Dexos specs--------they just want to sell you an oil change.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx

#5 ·
43sbest said:
That's a bunch of bull. Almost all synthetic oils, most blends and many conventional brands meet GM Dexos specs--------they just want to sell you an oil change.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx
Are you sure there are conventionals on this list for gasoline(Dexos1) vehicles?

Brand
ACDelco dexos1™ SAE 5W-30
Advantage
Altra SHL dexos1™ 5W-30
Blue Mountain Professional dexos™ 5W30
CAM2 dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30
Coastal
Extreme Max 5W-30
Golden West dexos1™ 5W30 SN
GulfTEC dexos1™ Synthetic 5W-30
Hartland dexos1™ 5w-30
HELLA dexos1™ 5W-30
KRÖNEN ENERGY SAE 5W-30
KunLun Tianrun SN/GF-5
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4601
MAG 1
Maxtron PCMO
Mobil 1 5W-30
NATIONAL
Peak Performance dexos™ 5W30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic
Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-30
Puratech PureSYN 5W30
Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic
SERVICE PRO FULL SYN dexos1 5W-30
Sinopec Polar Star IV
Sinopec Polar Star V
Sinopec Polar Star VI
Super XHD Synthetic 5W30
SuperS dexos1
SureGuard dexos1
Synergy Synthetic OE dexos1
Syngard Full Synthetic 5W-30
Sinclair Arctic Fire Full Synthetic Supreme Motor Oil GM dexos1™

#6 ·
tsduke said:
Are you sure there are conventionals on this list for gasoline(Dexos1) vehicles?

Brand
Advantage
Altra SHL dexos1™ 5W-30
Blue Mountain Professional dexos™ 5W30
Coastal
Extreme Max 5W-30
Golden West dexos1™ 5W30 SN
GulfTEC dexos1™ Synthetic 5W-30
Hartland dexos1™ 5w-30
HELLA dexos1™ 5W-30
KRÖNEN ENERGY SAE 5W-30
KunLun Tianrun SN/GF-5
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4601
MAG 1
Maxtron PCMO
Mobil 1 5W-30
NATIONAL
Peak Performance dexos™ 5W30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic
Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-30
Puratech PureSYN 5W30
Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic
Sinopec Polar Star IV
Sinopec Polar Star V
Sinopec Polar Star VI
Super XHD Synthetic 5W30
SuperS dexos1
SureGuard dexos1
Synergy Synthetic OE dexos1
Syngard Full Synthetic 5W-30
Sinclair Arctic Fire Full Synthetic Supreme Motor Oil GM dexos1™
I could be wrong but I don't think that list is up to date. I could also be wrong about conventional oils meeting the standard. I do know Moble 1 5W30 is and thats what I've been using for years.

#7 ·
So it's again dealers spreading more fear and uncertainty so people buy the GM oil. Since both dealers said roughly the same thing, I'm thinking there must be some truth to the bulletin but probably for sales of oil reasons only.

#9 ·
DavidPJ said:
So it's again dealers spreading more fear and uncertainty so people buy the GM oil. Since both dealers said roughly the same thing, I'm thinking there must be some truth to the bulletin but probably for sales of oil reasons only.
Before I posted...I searched the GM Techlink Site for the last 6 months looking for bulletins which would support what you were told...and found nothing

The Dexos link I posted has been out for some time and while the list of "licensed oils" may indeed be "aged"...I have been rechecking it since February of this year.

IMHO there are other oils that meet or exceed the "Spec" but not "Licensed" for one reason or another.

There is a member on this Forum whose considered opinion of Amsoil is only one such example.

In closing, I do not believe there is a "dino only" oil which meets the "spec". I believe meeting the spec will require a blend at the minimum...

and that a full syn is probably even better than a blend...but that's just my opinion

#10 ·
I should add...I asked the part dept at my dealer what their price was for the Delco oil. When he told me $5.59/qt I said forget that, I'll keep buying my full synthetic for less. He told me I'll void the warranty. :-\ Of course I told him there are several brands certified the same as the Delco, he said "really??" :eek:

#12 ·
That list is just those companies that have paid GM to 'approve' their oils.

Dexos is a blend. That alone would suggest that any synthetic oil would be equal or better regardless of having the GM stamp of approval.

I'm sure the GM dealer did/would over charge for the AC filter too!!
If they use one.
The last 'FREE' oil change I got from my dealer saw a 'no name' filter used-never did find out what brand it was.

#14 ·
The current offer at participating dealers is $39.95 for oil and filter change (up to 6 quarts) and a tire rotation.
The offer includes whatever oil is specified in the owners manual so if it Dexos1 for 2011 - then that is what you get for that price.

Not a bad deal for the semi-synthetic and they even reset the tire pressure monitors system for the right tire locations.

Attachments

#15 ·
gmiemigrad said:
The current offer at participating dealers is $39.95 for oil and filter change (up to 6 quarts) and a tire rotation.
The offer includes whatever oil is specified in the owners manual so if it Dexos1 for 2011 - then that is what you get for that price.

Not a bad deal for the semi-synthetic and they even reset the tire pressure monitors system for the right tire locations.
They offer the same at the dealership near me. I like doing my own changes so I know that it's done right. I have a 2.2 Saturn LS1. The oil change is almost the smame as the 2.4 (Same filter , 5 quarts of oil). I had the service done at the dealer I bought my Nox from. Here's what they did wrong:

1. The OLM was not reset. It came on at 1,500 miles and 3 months. Never had it go on before
2. The oil pan bolt was almost Impossible to take off.
3. The filter cap was on lossely.

The change was free. And the tech was working on it for 1.5 hours. I was able to watch from a window.
4. They put in about 5 1/2 quarts of oil

#16 ·
If any dealer says you will void your warranty if you don't use dexos oil is lying thru his teeth. I haven't seen anyone bring up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed by congress in 1975 that basiclly says a manufacturer can not force you to use a specific fluid or doing otherwise will void your warranty......if the mfg states you have to use a specific oil, he has to supply it free.

Amsoil states in their dealer newsletter that their XL oil is dexos compliant. Other oil mfg's have also stated that.

#17 ·
Personally I think this whole Dexos thing is somewhat of a con job by GM, and at least one service manager agrees with me. He said anyone using the Dexos symbol has to pay royalties to GM, and he also said my 4 cylinder 2011 is the same engine as the 4 in the 2010 and they didn't specify Dexos for that engine but the 2011 all of a sudden has to have it. They also say in the manual that you can substitute any oil that has the star burst rating with no mention about voiding the warranty. I'm not arguing that the Dexos might not be a better oil, but I still think it's somewhat of a con job.

Right now my dealer is charging $19.95 for an oil change and every fifth one is free. They said they thought the oil was a 50/50 blend, but they aren't sure.

#18 ·
GARYD said:
If any dealer says you will void your warranty if you don't use dexos oil is lying thru his teeth. I haven't seen anyone bring up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed by congress in 1975 that basiclly says a manufacturer can not force you to use a specific fluid or doing otherwise will void your warranty......if the mfg states you have to use a specific oil, he has to supply it free.

Amsoil states in their dealer newsletter that their XL oil is dexos compliant. Other oil mfg's have also stated that.
Can't they force you to use a specific "rating" of oil, like SM or better - or whatever leter we are up to now. If you use a SA rated oil, and have a problem, I'd bet they could deny the warranty claim. Isn't Dexos similar to a "rating" ?

Just my $0.02

#19 ·
or an equivalent engine oil
that's the key right there.
Dexos is, once again, a blend. Any synthetic oil beats the Dexos specs.
Most blends are at least equal to it.
The list of 'approved' oils is a list of those that paid for the 'approval'; there are many oils that are equal or better but their blenders didn't pay the
fees to GM.
:banghead:

#20 ·
:ditto:

RIT333, the dexos spec and an oil rating are, I think, two separate things. dexos is only licensed to mfg's that pay a fee in order to use it or threaten you with voiding your warranty if you don't use it and an oil rating in something every oil mfg makes to use in all cars so you can pick whatever oil you want and not worry about being threatened.
And a rating is not made up by a manufacturer, it's a spec across the board for all oils requiring no kickback to anyone.

#23 ·
Isn't that the point?

Whatever "motivation" the OP's Dealer had in "spinning" the Dexos spec...that is a shame

#24 ·
I am looking for a bit of clarification on something: Pennzoil Platinum is on sale at Canadian Tire this week, but my local store does not have any bottles with the Dexos 1 logo on it.

Is Pennzoil Platinum Dexos 1 approved regardless if it has the logo or not, or does it have to have the Dexos logo on the bottle to be approved? As far as I know, the oil would be the same in both bottle with the logo and without.

#25 ·
The way I understand it, if it doesn't have the Dexos1 logo then either it doesn't meet their spec or hasn't been approved yet.

GM states you can use Dexos1 or Mobil1 in the 2011 vehicles. So if the brand of oil that you prefer meets Mobil1 specs then you are good to go with using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.