GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any insight as to when fuel injectors should be cleaned? I have a 2010 Equinox with 105,000 kms. Also, is there a fuel filter on the 2.4 engine? Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
sk_equinox said:
Does anyone have any insight as to when fuel injectors should be cleaned? I have a 2010 Equinox with 105,000 kms. Also, is there a fuel filter on the 2.4 engine? Thanks
If you use a quality fuel and everything is running fine then I doubt you would ever need to clean them. All major fuels use detergents that keep the injectors clean.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just went through the owners manual and there is no mention of scheduled injector service.

·
Registered
715 Posts
IF, and only IF, the engine is running rough, you might try a strong dose of SeaFoam in the gas tank, then fill with fuel to mix. Run that tank down as far as you dare before filling up again.

Other products that might work almost as well: Regaine; Gumout Highmileage; etc....

Most cheap injector cleaners are so weak that they hardly work at all.

My 2¢

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
roughly 65,243 miles....

Aside from Seafoam.
The other good product to use is CHEVRON TECHRON fuel injector cleaner/ or Chevron Techron concentrate plus Fuel system cleaner.

I personnally use Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel system cleaner- because it cleans the fuel level sender from Sulfur buildup (which leads to erratic fuel level readings) and cleans the injectors.

GM actually sells this at the dealership in their own bottle.
As does BMW.

this is the Techron Product I use... (sold in 12 gal and 22 gallon treatment bottles)... and the BMW version

Take note- that theres a cheaper (price wise) Chevron product that has Techron in much less concentration.. stick to the concentrate plus.
this is the one thats I dont buy (actually sold at costco too- in a box)- concentration is much less..

·
Registered
216 Posts
NODES said:
where do you buy your chevron plus version?
Any auto parts store and probably Walmart. Advance Auto Parts in my area (south Florida) has the Plus 20oz on sale buy one get one free-----------$12.99 for two. Sale ends 3/28. Sam's Club also has a four pack for $20; I think they are the 12oz size.
12oz treats 12 gallons
20oz treats 22 gallons

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
sk_equinox said:
Also, is there a fuel filter on the 2.4 engine? Thanks
No there is not unfortunately.[/color]

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Fuel 'system' cleaner is usually stronger that fuel 'injector' cleaner.

Unless it's running really crappy, the injector cleaner should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2011 equinox LT, 2.4. At 8202 miles my service engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said the fuel injectors were stopped up. We were advised to use gas only from a GM approved station. We usually use the Pilot Stations. They cleaned the injectors per PIP3146D, whatever that means.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Oreillys currently has it on sale again- buy 1 get 1 free.

·
Registered
673 Posts
missdaisy said:
I have a 2011 equinox LT, 2.4. At 8202 miles my service engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said the fuel injectors were stopped up. We were advised to use gas only from a GM approved station. We usually use the Pilot Stations. They cleaned the injectors per PIP3146D, whatever that means.

GM approved station??? that is some bogus crap...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts