GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I've had a 2010 Equinox LTZ for the last 3 months. It is a 2.4L FWD. I'm not gonna ask about fuel mileage, I've been around vehicles enough that usually you can't do much about the fuel mileage, you get what you get. My question though, is regarding my fuel gauge sensor, and the fuel tank capacity.

If I fill up my tank bone dry, it usually clicks off around the 64L mark, which would make sense, because I'm sure my manual says the tank capacity is 70L. The thing is, I can continue to fill my tank, to about the 77L mark. Extra capacity, cool, not a big deal. The thing is though, my fuel gauge, and fuel range, will not go down until about the 120-150km mark. For example, full tank, put 77L in it, fuel range says 760km. After I've driven 150km, the fuel range still says 760km. It will usually quickly compensate and the actual trip I can get on a single tank is rarely more then 820km. Anybody else notice this?

Other then this, I love the Equinox.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Driver Information Centers(DIC) are not 100% accurate...

I will say embarrassing enough I have been stranded a couple times due to running out of fuel... I have the 3.0 and I am used to my truck. Once the light is on I can usually make it another 50-60 miles... I have never run out of fuel in my truck...

Once the light is on in the Equinox you best be looking for gas station. ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a problem when the tank is low, its when the tank is full. It doesn't seem to register the last 12-15 Liters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In these modern cars the gauge is electronic and probably needs to be re-calibrated. There was a recall on my CTS for that exact problem, after they zapped the computer with the new firmware then it behaved properly showing the right amount of fuel in the tank.
Maybe your gauge needs to be re-calibrated by the dealership. Your concern is that it tells you have fuel when you're actually running on the fumes..

·
Registered
446 Posts
The expected miles is calculated from 3 things. Average speed, the running MPG count and the amount of gas. Both the average speed and the MPG are calculated over the past 500 miles, so changes sometimes are slow to calculate. If you've reset the average speed and MPG the expected miles can really vary (or stay solid in your case.) Hope that helps understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts