GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge never goes up to the full mark. It always read 3/4 full. I know it's full b/c I am pumping it several more times after the nozzle clicks. Is anybody else have this problem? I will turn the vehicle off to see if it will reset itself, but always stop at 3/4 full. Please reply if you are experiencing the same problems.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Not even after you drive a few blocks? Almost all my cars did that, but the needle would eventually go to the full mark after driving a while.

·
Registered
119 Posts
By me it always went to full right away, then I noticed that it would go about 3/4 and slowly go up to full.
I brought it to the dealer, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Though they did ask if the car is turned off and and if I stop filling when it stops or I try to get a bit more in. Which I always turn the vehicle off and being that I live in wonderful NJ I don't pump my own gas but I did pay attention and the attendants don't try to get more fuel in...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hambone said:
My fuel gauge never goes up to the full mark. It always read 3/4 full. I know it's full b/c I am pumping it several more times after the nozzle clicks. Is anybody else have this problem? I will turn the vehicle off to see if it will reset itself, but always stop at 3/4 full. Please reply if you are experiencing the same problems.
Mine has always went to the full mark after filling and starting it at the pump.

Either there is a problem with the fuel gauge or its not letting you fill the tank completely for some reason. Have you ran it down to almost empty and checked how many gallons it will hold?

On one occassion the pump did shut off the hose early while filling. I didn't realize this until after I had left. The fuel gauge showed a little less than full.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There could be some kind of anomaly in your fuel filler tube that causes the pump to click off before it's actully full. You might try filling it up yourself and see if you can continue pumping after the first click. It can't hurt, and if that isn't it then you can cross it off the list of possible causes..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hambone said:
Dealers have a tester that will tell them if this is a guage problem (instrument cluster) or a fuel level sensor (in tank), but it should go to full, even if you stop pumping after the first click (which is what you should do).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times, but it seems like the next morning when I start it the fuel gauge registers full. I was wondering about it myself.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hambone said:
I will be sending you a private message shortly.

Tricia, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took my Terrain into the dealership for the second time for the same problem. Only this time I decided to let them fill it up. They found the problem to be a faulty fuel gauge or what they called a cluster problem. Should be ready for pickup Thursday once they get the part in. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jls1958 said:
My problem is needle dont want to stay on full mark after driving a week?..............lol
Let us know what the fix is for this.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
jls1958 said:
My problem is needle dont want to stay on full mark after driving a week?..............lol
"I will be sending you a private message shortly.

Tricia, GM Customer Service"

·
Registered
978 Posts
jls1958 said:
ChevyMgr said:
RIT333 said:

ROFLMAOPIMP>>>HAHAHahahahaha

I'm off to do laundry with MrMidnite2 :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
jls1958 said:
ChevyMgr said:
RIT333 said:

MOCHANOX said:
ROFLMAOPIMP>>>HAHAHahahahaha
Welcome to my world. I doesn't get much funnier than this. ;D

·
Registered
978 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Welcome to my world. I doesn't get much funnier than this. ;D
Actually...one of the reasons you and I seem to be in agreement in different threads recently is because as a former Service Manager and Advisor for 25 years...I have been in your shoes.

It takes a pretty thick skin to get on an automotive forum and admit you're "in the business"...
Most folks think of us as "thieves" that don't give a [email protected] about anything but $$$

And that reputation was indeed earned decades ago...has been dang near impossible (not always) to shake...and unfortunately in too many isolated cases still exists today.

But as you know the "business" has changed drastically within the last decade and the "rip off artists" continue to become a thing of the past...being replaced with more of us who really do care about the level of service provided and go the extra mile with our customers.

There are "costs" for doing business the right way...
but the long term benefits far outweigh the short term gains and long term losses of following the "dark side".

To the naysayers, it is not a perfect world...yet, but there have been and will continue to be in growing numbers...legitimate service at competitive prices...from knowledgable people that want to get your repair done correctly the first time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't think people are as mad at service writers or advisors as they are at the manufacture's. Why do they design a car that you can't reach the spark plugs or oil filter or even get to the battery. Or many other designs that don't make any sense. It's getting to the point that they might as well weld the hood shut because you can't do much of anything any more. I suppose it's because 95% of drivers have no clue on how to do anything under there anyway.
I remember when a tune up cost maybe $30 to $50 and you could do it yourself, now it's $200 or more and you need thousand dollar machines and computers. Then again tune ups are a lot farther apart so I guess that offsets the costs.
I think the biggest gripe is when you bring in your car with a problem and they tell you there's nothing wrong with it or they can't find the problem.....or it's an on going problem with that model and they can't do anything about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thought I was picking my Terrain up today after they replace my instrument cluster. Turn out that this was not the problem. The service manager now says it is the fuel sending unit. Maybe ready next Wednesday for pickup if this fixes the problem. I only have 7K miles on this vehicle so hopefully I will get it back soon and in right working condition. This may help someone if you are having the same problem. I believe I will ask for a free oil change. Stay tune.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Shaking head in disappointment for you

This is the result of poor diagnostics on the part of the technican

The in tank sending unit operates somewhat like the float in your toilet except it has a resistor grid with a "needle" that swipes up and down on the grid as the level changes...it is not unheard of to have one of the grid lines fail which would then give an inaccurate reading for that "level" of the tank...in your case...at full.

Chevy learned their lesson with poor stepper motor designs in recent years and has a newer more reliable system to help eliminate premature gauge issues which is in use on the Nox/Terrain clusters.

I'm just sayin'...with proper diagnostic procedures the issue should have been discovered and the fix should have been done right the first time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up my Terrain Thursday. The problem is now fixed and it turned out to be a bad fuel sending unit. Thanks for all those that got it right. My dealership service manager tried to charge me for the gas they had to put in it to make sure it was working. I refuse to pay for the gas because this goes hand in hand with the problem. I told them to get the money from the warranty because I shouldn't have to pay for the gas so they can make sure the sending unit is working properly. This is what I call BAD customer service.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts