GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Fuel economy?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GMC Terrain AWD, 2.4L in august 2010. During summer, the fuel economy was good, approx. 600KM by tank (60-70$), but during winter it's 320 KM by tank. :mad:

I contact the garage and they told me it's normal because it's a new vehicle and I only have 9000 KM. If this an economic vehicle, I don't want to by another one.

Does anyone else have this problem, is this the same for all Terrain?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Yes or no? I'm not really sure what the question is...but if you're wondering if gas mileage will improve after putting a few thousnad miles on the engine, then yes. It is possible to reach the EPA rated 32mpg on the highway, but I don't think most people will ever see that in the real world. Also, winter gas mileage always tends to be worse than summer for any vehicle..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
knighc said:
I bought a GMC Terrain AWD, 2.4L in august 2010. During summer, the fuel economy was good, approx. 600KM by tank (60-70$), but during winter it's 320 KM by tank. :mad:

I contact the garage and they told me it's normal because it's a new vehicle and I only have 9000 KM. If this an economic vehicle, I don't want to by another one.

Does anyone else have this problem, is this the same for all Terrain?[/color]

Thanks.
I think this was the question[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
boddah4 said:
I think this was the question[/color]
In that case I would say yes...but it depends where you live. I'm in Texas which has generally mild temps in the winter...this morning it was about 25f which hurts fuel economy somewhat, but most of the time daytime winter temps hover around 60-65f in north Texas which can give you good gas mileage...and certainly better than driving in 100f with the a/c going full bast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I have the I4 awd and my mileage sucks!!!!!! I have 5500 miles on it and only average 18 combined. The best I could do on my 2500 mile trip was 23mph highway at 70 mph with a tail wind. I am starting to thing something is wrong. I got better mileage with my gas sucking trailblazer. If things don't improve soon I will be selling it and getting another brand with a V6 :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
fireman591 said:
I have the I4 awd and my mileage sucks!!!!!! I have 5500 miles on it and only average 18 combined. The best I could do on my 2500 mile trip was 23mph highway at 70 mph with a tail wind. I am starting to thing something is wrong. I got better mileage with my gas sucking trailblazer. If things don't improve soon I will be selling it and getting another brand with a V6 :(
Try using fresh full synthetic and pump up the tires a little over 35. try doing a tank of top tier at around 45 mph on cruise and see what happens. Choose a day with nice weather. Enjoy! Your tires will need to be rotated soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
fireman591 said:
I have the I4 awd and my mileage sucks!!!!!! I have 5500 miles on it and only average 18 combined. The best I could do on my 2500 mile trip was 23mph highway at 70 mph with a tail wind. I am starting to thing something is wrong. I got better mileage with my gas sucking trailblazer. If things don't improve soon I will be selling it and getting another brand with a V6 :(
I seem to remember reading about a service bulletin related to this...pull the oil dipstick and smell for gasoline. If you can smell gas you definitely need to get it fixed, it's injecting too much gas when cold and it's getting into the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
Try using fresh full synthetic and pump up the tires a little over 35. try doing a tank of top tier at around 45 mph on cruise and see what happens. Choose a day with nice weather. Enjoy! Your tires will need to be rotated soon.
I had the tires at 40 psi for the trip. I can get high 20's to low 30's in the 45 to 50 mph range. Once it gets above 65 mph look out cause the mileage drops into the high teens to low 20mpg range. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
fireman591 said:
I had the tires at 40 psi for the trip. I can get high 20's to low 30's in the 45 to 50 mph range. Once it gets above 65 mph look out cause the mileage drops into the high teens to low 20mpg range. :mad:
Use fresh full synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
Use fresh full synthetic.
It is going back to the dealer to be looked at. I don't want to shear down a $27.00 jug of Penzoil ultra if my engine is over fueling.
Hopefully they will be able to fix the problem. The good news is Michigan has a lemon law so I will be pushing for a new engine or replacement vehicle if it can't be fixed. I have had it with GM! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Update: Well I took it into the dealer today to check out why my oil is getting sheared down with gas. They stated that this is normal. Well I will be selling it soon :mad: I have owned over 20 vehicles and never heard that it was normal for gas to get in the oil. GM lost my business for life!!! :mad: What a joke!!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
I'll be **** glad when you do get rid of it! You've expressed weekly unhappiness since before you ever got the thing. I think it's time for a different car forum to share your next misery... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
IceMan said:
I'll be **** glad when you do get rid of it! You've expressed weekly unhappiness since before you ever got the thing. I think it's time for a different car forum to share your next misery... ;)
I must admit I have been lucky in the past with timely delivery and great cars and trucks from GM. It looks like my luck has run out on this purchase. :mad: Are you in the market for a Terrain that has a 4 cylinder engine with V8 gas mileage ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
So you've had great GM cars in the past, but now that you had a bad experience with one crappy dealer you're throwing in the towel? Sour grapes. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
mnussbaum said:
So you've had great GM cars in the past, but now that you had a bad experience with one crappy dealer you're throwing in the towel? Sour grapes. ::)
Just not happy that an authorized GMC dealer would tell me it is normal for fuel to be in the oil. They told me to hold off on synthetic oil till 8000 miles and then see if it is ok at 11000 miles with the synthetic. Only getting 20 mpg today going 55 mph on a level road with no wind is very discouraging also for a vehicle that has a sticker on it saying it gets 29 mpg. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I hear you. But to sell the car and write off GM for life based on one dealer's ineptitude makes no sense. First, find another dealer if this one refuses to listen. Then complain to GM Customer Care (or whatever they're called).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
fireman591 said:
Just not happy that an authorized GMC dealer would tell me it is normal for fuel to be in the oil. They told me to hold off on synthetic oil till 8000 miles and then see if it is ok at 11000 miles with the synthetic. Only getting 20 mpg today going 55 mph on a level road with no wind is very discouraging also for a vehicle that has a sticker on it saying it gets 29 mpg. :(
As much as I hate to say it, you need to grow a pair. Tell the dealership what you think of them not acting on your poor performing vehicle and refuse to leave. Their service writers are just pushing you around and you are taking it. Go up the chain at the dealership and if that doesnt work, go even higher. Seriously, its your vehicle so take charge of it.

:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
As much as I hate to say it, you need to grow a pair. Tell the dealership what you think of them not acting on your poor performing vehicle and refuse to leave. Their service writers are just pushing you around and you are taking it. Go up the chain at the dealership and if that doesnt work, go even higher. Seriously, its your vehicle so take charge of it.

:D :D
I did and I was very pushy today. I told them that I can ignite my oil with no problem and that the mileage sucks. They said the direct injection engines take up to 8000 miles to break in. They also stated that the winter blend in gas kills mpg. My saturn v6 still gets 28 mpg so not sure on that one. I am scared to switch to synthetic with this being so rough on the oil and poor mpg. What do you think? Should I sacrifice a $26.00 bottle of Penzoil ultra? I will call another GMC dealer tomorrow and see what they think about the whole gas in the oil thing. On a positive note the oil in there now is not as bad as the first two oil changes so hopefully this will get better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Syn oil. Half the dexos oils for 2011 are full syns. Not sure why they told you wait until 8k. I would suggest you consider Pennzoil Platinum over ultra. I'm not sure how the ultra tests out with fuel dilution. I might see if I can find some uoa's with ultra and di engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
tsduke said:
I wouldn't worry about Syn oil. Half the dexos oils for 2011 are full syns. Not sure why they told you wait until 8k. I would suggest you consider Pennzoil Platinum over ultra. I'm not sure how the ultra tests out with fuel dilution. I might see if I can find some uoa's with ultra and di engines.
Ultra is the same as platnium but with more cleaning power.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top