GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm averaging about 300 maybe 350 miles on a full tank with the 4 cyclinder. Was expecting more out of this, closer to the advertised 22/32....especially since most of my driving is highway driving. Ive been driving with a light foot in conjuction with the Instant Fuel Economy setting on the DIC however I just dont see the mileage advertised. Im in South Florida, flat roads if that makes a difference. Wondering if someone is regularly siphoning out my gas from the tank at night, lol.

V4 owners - How many miles are you averaging on a full tank? Does the above sound about right for you too?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, its an inline 4 to begin with.

What speed are you traveling? What is your actual MPG measured when you fill up and what does the DIC say?

If I travel 63-65 on the hilly highways here I can easily get 32 MPGs. If I bump that up to 72 my MPG will drop to 29-30. Go up to 80 and it is a solid 27 average.

I have noticed that the fuel gauge reads lower than the amount of fuel in the tank. Last night we filled up at it was showing we had 1/4 tank left. We put in right at 12.5 gallons. So if a 1/4 of a tank was left that would give us about a 16 gallon tank. However, the owners manual states that the tank for the I4 is 18.8 (IIRC, going off the top of my head on that one but its close).

·
Registered
155 Posts
on our first long trip (9 hours) we averaged about 26 according to the DIC, cruising mostly at 75 mph. it did briefly on one trip get up to 29 or 30, but that was when i was actually trying to get it to go up by coasting, etc. whenever i could. i haven't tried doing just 65 to see what would happen, i just can't seem to go that slow! lol

next trip i will actually calculate it myself and compare to the DIC to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Averaging bout 26-28..have 3500 miles and do roughly average 55-60 ..on roadway I consider above average driving most of the time..I am more than Happy so far and Love the ride alot better than my I4 Rav4...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, it's an INLINE 4, not V4 FYI.

Anyhow, I'm at the 5000KM (3000Mi) mark with my I4 AWD model and am getting the following:

Highway: 8L/100KM, 110KM/h (about 29mpg at 65mph)
City: 10K/100KM (23MPG)
Mixed: 9.2L/100KM (25MPG).

In order to get the advertised 32, you would need to be doing about 50mph on flat roads, no headwind, etc.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What is your DIC telling you for milage? Also, are you filling at what point on the gas gauge? I've found that when our gage is on the last tick before "E", I can still only put about 13/14 gallons in it, showing there is at least 4 gallons still in the tank. So it seems that "E" is not actually empty. I personally try not to run under 1/2 a tank before considering to fill up. That's the ol' Boy Scout in me ;D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Vehicles can typically go quite a ways on their reserve, as it's often a good 10 liters (3Gal). Often, that means you can go a good 100-150KM (60mi-90mi)) after the light comes on. Hence, unless you're running your vehicle dry, you'll never be able to put the full amount of gas in.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
scottyyyc said:
In order to get the advertised 32, you would need to be doing about 50mph on flat roads, no headwind, etc.
Not at all. Ive got an average of 34.7 once when averaging 64 MPH on very hilly roads. This was with OUT cruise though because it tends to downshift far too early for my liking.

Of course, this was on the DIC, but as some have noticed it is usually always high. Still, its not impossible to think it can get 32 MPG if you travel 65 for a whole road trip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have 9000 miles on ours with an average of 27.5 to 28 Hwy/country mixed. On Hwy we drive 70-75. Use Mobil 1 oil and keep the tires at 38 psi.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I always had a question about the DIC and Average Miles..do u reset it at any point(after a fillup) or just leave it alone..I noticed that you can reset it...Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
nitti48 said:
I always had a question about the DIC and Average Miles..do u reset it at any point(after a fillup) or just leave it alone..I noticed that you can reset it...Thanks
I believe you can reset it whenever you want.
I used to do that on another car we had with the on board MPG computer.

We haven't reset ours since purchase and we're getting 17.5 on our AWD V6 Terrain, 90-95% city (suburbs) driving.

I may reset it after the next oil change.
We just changed the oil a few weeks ago, so I'm leaving it alone to see if the average MPG goes up at all.

I think we're at a little over 7000km.
Maybe I'll reset it at 10,000 then every 5,000 after that for comparison sake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so after reading all of your questions I reset my DIC and did a test with today's driving which is a good representation of my city/highway driving ratio (most on highway). Here's what I got:

The last time I filled up tank completely - Friday 5/14. 16.46 gallons of Regular.
So far I've driven about 125 miles since then.
Fuel Range reads 183 miles.
Average speed = 34.2 mph
Average fuel economy = 21.4 mpg

In city I usually drive about 50 mph, on highway 75 mph, trying to step on pedal as last as possible.
The last time I drove a 35 mile straight drive on the highway I reset the DIC and it read average speed of 24.5 mph. Was driving 75-80 mph trying to stay closer to 75 most of the time.

Is there something wrong taking into account these stats??

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Going 75 is killing your MPGs. Trust me on that. Go 68-70 and you will see a gain. Plus, if you arent over 1500 you are still breaking in your DI motor.

If you reset your DIC while you are driving down the road it should average a very high MPH. If it reads 24.5 MPH and you are traveling 70+ then something is up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
nitti48 said:
Just to note: GM states "the DIC average MPG is calculated over the past full tank of gas." So basically it's an average over about 500 miles only. 500 is the expected full take run on highway, so I guess that's a good figure to use. So if you have 2000 miles on your Terrain, and you never reset the DIC, the average would be since 1500 miles up to now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts