GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic comes up quite a bit with various levels of input/enthusiasm but I figured I'd a bit more fuel to the fire so to speak.

I know I've mentioned a few times that my fuel economy readout very closely the old fashioned calculations (and I seem to be the exception there) however I actually added another metric to it; fuel used. I have a fuel used menu on my Terrain and today when I filled up it read 16.7 gallons used, I put in exactly 16.65 gallons of fuel at the same station I did previously same pump same first vapor stop.

Just food for thought :)

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I noticed that GM does that metric on the Chevy Cruze.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also on that fill up I was within .5 an MPG on calculation on the DIC VS good old miles/gallon... I really have to wonder how people are seeing such a large discrepancy.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
GTPprix said:
Also on that fill up I was within .5 an MPG on calculation on the DIC VS good old miles/gallon... I really have to wonder how people are seeing such a large discrepancy.
Funny, because I really have to wonder how you are seeing such a small discrepancy - LOL. Seriously, I get so discouraged when I think I am getting pretty decent MPG, and then I do the calculation by hand, and it is just decent, not pretty decent. I have never gotten the hand calculation to be higher than the DIC - NEVER.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DIC reads low MPG

Only have one fill up with manual calculations on my 2011 Terrain - DIC is about 1 mpg low - but 1 fill up is not enough data. Really need multiples to eliminate variations in how full the tank fills up (each gas pump is different)

However, on my 2011 Regal - same engine and tranny as Terrain - there is a big discrepancy. I just returned from a 1,100 mile trip and the DIC showed 26.6 mpg average over the 3 fill ups but actual calculations show 29.4 mpg average - quite a discrepancy. Two previous independent fill ups of local driving show a similar discrepancy

·
Registered
300 Posts
RIT333 said:
Funny, because I really have to wonder how you are seeing such a small discrepancy - LOL. Seriously, I get so discouraged when I think I am getting pretty decent MPG, and then I do the calculation by hand, and it is just decent, not pretty decent. I have never gotten the hand calculation to be higher than the DIC - NEVER.
My last trip of 241 miles the DIC read 30.0 and plugging the figures into my Excel MPG program it showed 32.33.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Don B said:
My last trip of 241 miles the DIC read 30.0 and plugging the figures into my Excel MPG program it showed 32.33.
Yes, Folks, we have a winner ! Someone finally beat the EPA highway ratings. :thumb:

Hopefully we'll all see that as the weather warms up, and we switch to Summer-mix gasoline.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know there might be a differnce between calculated and the DIC, but yesterday I did a little experiment.

55 mph = 38 mpg
65 mph = 32 mpg
75 mph = 28 mpg

The fed test for highway only averages abut 42 mph.

Many years ago, we had 55 mph speed limits. Those numbers were not just pulled out of the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts