GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benefits of Pure Acetone with gasoline

In increase your gas mileage by 15 to 35% ... acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition, but do not add more than 1 to 3 oz. max per 10 gallons of gas. Has anyone tired this with their new WHEELS. Google this and check it out...

·
Registered
715 Posts
More hype than reality to this 'miracle' gas additive. Besides being expensive (pure acetone), it's dangerous to handle and doesn't, in the end, do what is claimed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Norm985 said:
Benefits of Pure Acetone with gasoline

In increase your gas mileage by 15 to 35% ... acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition, but do not add more than 1 to 3 oz. max per 10 gallons of gas. Has anyone tired this with their new WHEELS. Google this and check it out...
You can find just as much on Google saying it's harmfully to certain engine parts and does nothing to increase MPG.
I'm sure everyone will be heading to Home Depot and Lowe's early tomorrow to stock up---------------I probably won't get a wink of sleep tonight thinking about that extra 15 to 35% increase in MPG I'm going to get.
I guess the next thing someone is going to say is a "miracle" to increase fuel mileage will be to add xylene; in fact it's mentioned in one of the articles.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Except, of course, Home Depot et. al. doesn't carry "pure" acetone. You need to go to a chemical supply store for that.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
dwendt44 said:
Except, of course, Home Depot et. al. doesn't carry "pure" acetone. You need to go to a chemical supply store for that.
I can see some people reading this thread and dumping a bottle of fingernail polish remover in their gas tank.. :facepalm:

·
Registered
216 Posts
dwendt44 said:
Not that it makes any difference as far as I'm concerned but the Klean-Strip acetone sold at Home Depot (and just about everywhere is) "pure"; I have a quart in my shop. I wouldn't put it in my gas regardless.

See the link below; this is exactly the same as sold at HD, Lowes, paint stores & etc.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17627

·
Registered
715 Posts
Perhaps 'pure' was the wrong word. "Technical Grade" might be more accurate.

The word 'PURE' could still allow some thinner/additive/stabilizer is in there.

·
Registered
341 Posts
NoobNox said:
I can see some people reading this thread and dumping a bottle of fingernail polish remover in their gas tank.. :facepalm:
hopefully we can give Joe Owner a little more credit than that ... well... hopefully...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts