GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this was my vehicle out of warranty I'd get a replacement oil cap, drill a hole in it, put a vent hose on it to the air intake somehow. Relieve that pressure the old fashioned way. This is an absurd situation.
I have 2015 2.4 liter equinox and pcv system froze and rear main oil seal blew 3600 dollars cost and they drilled a bugger hole in pcv valve said thats how gm said it would stop the problem

·
Registered
69 Posts
My engine started fine in 13 degree weather. Drove about 30 miles to church 4 weeks ago. A mile before exit ramp getting off highway I noticed we had no heat. Coasting off exit ramp, I go to give it gas to go uphill and nothing. I look down to see the engine had died. I struggle to get the car to side of ramp and have to roll back alot to straighten the car out with no power to get it out of the way of traffic. My niece and I sit an hour and a half for two truck in 13 degree weather. As the tow truck guy is taking us to the only place open on Sunday, he informs me that there is oil all under my car. With no sound or warning while driving, I am sick to my stomach. We wait 2 hours for Auto tire to get to us. Auto Tire pushes the car that will not turn over into a bay and tryst to start it. One plunk. I am in waiting area when the guy comes to tell me that there is no oil on the dipstick. They push it back outside and I take pictures the next day where oil leaked all underneath the car in about 20 different places. I call GM mad, only 88,000 miles on the car, all highway miles, and they are not willing to do a thing! They told me I needed to have it towed to a dealership and diagnostics done at my expense. And I will need to pay out of pocket for new engine.. and IF my VIN later on got added to class action for excessive oil consumption or anything else that they would reimburse me later, but as of right now my car is not part of it. Not only am I not a rich person, nor do I have thousands laying around to make repairs,but I still owe $10,400 on this car and I had to run right out and purchase something new. I told them, we really LIVE, I need a way to work, school, bank, grocery store doctor today. Now my credit will go down the tubes as I cannot make two car payments! And the dealership that sold me this car Nov 2017 had to know this car has problems!!! I am between a rock and a hard place and dont know where to turn. I am 30 days behind on that car payment in two days and dont have a clue what to do. This is so unfair!!!!!! If anyone has any suggestions on an attorney or what I may be able to do to get out of this, please comment!!!!!
W
My engine started fine in 13 degree weather. Drove about 30 miles to church 4 weeks ago. A mile before exit ramp getting off highway I noticed we had no heat. Coasting off exit ramp, I go to give it gas to go uphill and nothing. I look down to see the engine had died. I struggle to get the car to side of ramp and have to roll back alot to straighten the car out with no power to get it out of the way of traffic. My niece and I sit an hour and a half for two truck in 13 degree weather. As the tow truck guy is taking us to the only place open on Sunday, he informs me that there is oil all under my car. With no sound or warning while driving, I am sick to my stomach. We wait 2 hours for Auto tire to get to us. Auto Tire pushes the car that will not turn over into a bay and tryst to start it. One plunk. I am in waiting area when the guy comes to tell me that there is no oil on the dipstick. They push it back outside and I take pictures the next day where oil leaked all underneath the car in about 20 different places. I call GM mad, only 88,000 miles on the car, all highway miles, and they are not willing to do a thing! They told me I needed to have it towed to a dealership and diagnostics done at my expense. And I will need to pay out of pocket for new engine.. and IF my VIN later on got added to class action for excessive oil consumption or anything else that they would reimburse me later, but as of right now my car is not part of it. Not only am I not a rich person, nor do I have thousands laying around to make repairs,but I still owe $10,400 on this car and I had to run right out and purchase something new. I told them, we really LIVE, I need a way to work, school, bank, grocery store doctor today. Now my credit will go down the tubes as I cannot make two car payments! And the dealership that sold me this car Nov 2017 had to know this car has problems!!! I am between a rock and a hard place and dont know where to turn. I am 30 days behind on that car payment in two days and dont have a clue what to do. This is so unfair!!!!!! If anyone has any suggestions on an attorney or what I may be able to do to get out of this, please comment!!!!!
[/QU

·
Registered
7 Posts
On Saturday January 15th 2022 I was driving home. I pulled into my driveway and smelled oil burning. As I was backing into the garage My car stalled out and turned off. No low oil light, no Check engine light or any other warning light at all. I got out of my car to see the problem and there was oil everywhere. Spilling out of my wheel wells, all over the side of my car and under it but none under the hood at all. After getting it towed to the mechanics shop that did an oil change on it the prior week they called and told me that it was due to PCV failure and pressure built up blew the rear main seal out. I looked further into this and this is a known problem with 2013 Chevy Equinox’s. Many people complained and many people said that they called Chevy with no help. This is leaving thousands of people at risk with a know design failure. There has been no notice sent out to customers to be aware of this problem and no help in preventing it. Many people are put in a very dangerous spot when their car shut off going 70 mph. This also left many people in an extremely bad financial situation with upwards of thousands to fix this problem. Chevy just brushes it off with no help saying that the problem is location based on where the engine was manufactured. If that was true then Out of the thousands of people with this problem why have none of them been covered under this service bulletin? This problem is design based and leaves many people in an extremely dangerous situation. Just some sort of heads up to these customers to not drive in the freezing cold temps could prevent some people from having this happen. When on the phone with my local GM service worker he said he was surprised that this didn’t happen sooner. I am still talking to Chevy customer service but if nothing comes out of this I will be contacting a Lawyer for a class action lawsuit. If anyone else has or had this problem and would like to go in with me message me and we will get something going because a Recall of some sort should be in place for this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
He also stated that service bulletins are not sent to customers they are only sent to service shops so they know the problem and that these are available to the public. The only way the public will know to look for this is if the problem already occurred which makes no sense why there wouldn’t be some sort of notice sent out to look for the problem

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
233 Posts
On Saturday January 15th 2022 I was driving home. I pulled into my driveway and smelled oil burning. As I was backing into the garage My car stalled out and turned off. No low oil light, no Check engine light or any other warning light at all. I got out of my car to see the problem and there was oil everywhere. Spilling out of my wheel wells, all over the side of my car and under it but none under the hood at all. After getting it towed to the mechanics shop that did an oil change on it the prior week they called and told me that it was due to PCV failure and pressure built up blew the rear main seal out. I looked further into this and this is a known problem with 2013 Chevy Equinox’s. Many people complained and many people said that they called Chevy with no help. This is leaving thousands of people at risk with a know design failure. There has been no notice sent out to customers to be aware of this problem and no help in preventing it. Many people are put in a very dangerous spot when their car shut off going 70 mph. This also left many people in an extremely bad financial situation with upwards of thousands to fix this problem. Chevy just brushes it off with no help saying that the problem is location based on where the engine was manufactured. If that was true then Out of the thousands of people with this problem why have none of them been covered under this service bulletin? This problem is design based and leaves many people in an extremely dangerous situation. Just some sort of heads up to these customers to not drive in the freezing cold temps could prevent some people from having this happen. When on the phone with my local GM service worker he said he was surprised that this didn’t happen sooner. I am still talking to Chevy customer service but if nothing comes out of this I will be contacting a Lawyer for a class action lawsuit. If anyone else has or had this problem and would like to go in with me message me and we will get something going because a Recall of some sort should be in place for this problem.
Did you install a vented oil filler cap?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost all the posts I read here are similar to what happened to myself last month. I was driving my 2013 GMC Terrain on the highway when "Oil pressure low- stop engine" came up so I immediately pulled to the shoulder and turned the car off. Inspected the oil and found there was barely any on the dipstick and there was leakage under the car! Ended up getting it towed and diagnosed the rear main seal leak had blown and possible also affected my engine. I got quoted almost 10k for a new engine but refused as that's already more than half of the purchase price! My dad actually found the bulletin and had it moved to another dealership who is taking care of it now. My car isn't covered by the bulletin despite having the issues disclosed in it but my dad kept pushing and now it's getting fixed. Unfortunately we're paying out of pocket as I'm not seeing any word from GMC about reimbursement or covering some of the repairs. Anyone have ideas of what to do? Now that my car is getting fixed they're finding more issues and broken parts and now I'm wondering if this is all because of what has happened or if GMC cars are just horrible. If anyone has any resolutions, please let me know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am actually supposed to be having the pcv cleaned out on my 2015 GMC Terrain, the dealer said it should be done 3-4 years. Guess what, it's only been 2 years and they are telling me to have it done again. The dealer also mentioned on my first clean-out that it is a "poor" design. The check engine light was in January 2022 and I took it to the dealer for an oil change and to run a diagnostic. The dealer said the timing chain needs to be replaced and the pcv cleanout. Not sure how they came to that conclusion without pulling everything apart, which they did not. I had another mechanic look at it and he could not understand why the dealer told me the timing chain needed to be replaced, there was nothing wrong with my timing chain, but at that point, the parts were there and the mechanic was ready to put the new on. Dang dealers & GM.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I am actually supposed to be having the pcv cleaned out on my 2015 GMC Terrain, the dealer said it should be done 3-4 years. Guess what, it's only been 2 years and they are telling me to have it done again. The dealer also mentioned on my first clean-out that it is a "poor" design. The check engine light was in January 2022 and I took it to the dealer for an oil change and to run a diagnostic. The dealer said the timing chain needs to be replaced and the pcv cleanout. Not sure how they came to that conclusion without pulling everything apart, which they did not. I had another mechanic look at it and he could not understand why the dealer told me the timing chain needed to be replaced, there was nothing wrong with my timing chain, but at that point, the parts were there and the mechanic was ready to put the new on. Dang dealers & GM.
There are at least 2 simple modifications that can be done on the PCV tube that connects from the valve cover to the air intake your mechanic could do. Search for threads on the forum here and show him.
At least buy and install a GM FC219 vented oil fill cap to try and prevent main seal failure.

Reactions: stopwatch

·
Registered
98 Posts
My ex-wife’s 2015 2.4 was tested for oil consumption and qualified for the oil consumption repairs (pistons, rings, timing chain, etc). Part of that procedure for the 2010-2013 vintage (but her 2015 ended up getting covered after the dealership fought with GM), is to use a 1/16” drill bit to clear the intake PCV orifice so the PCV system properly vents. GM clearly recognizes/acknowledges this issue and even adds this procedure to the bulletin for oil consumption-approved vehicles. I also installed the FC219 vented cap. I also replaced the PCV tube a time or two (it can be easily cleaned out without replacing it but it was under $10 so I just replaced it). I cleared the lines a few times a year myself as a PM. If it weren’t for all of that, her 2015 probably would have likely blown a rear main seal by now leaving her and the kids stranded.. I worry this could still happen, b/c I’m no longer around to do the “PCV PMs” and clear the lines in the winter.

For those who haven’t yet had a blown seal, if you’re noticing the oil consumption, winter gunk, etc, see if you’d qualify for coverage under the bulletin or GM approval if you pass the consumption test (they check oil levels over the span of a few thousand miles and if it’s below a certain level, then coverage should apply)..

View attachment 15113

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to revive an old thread... How were you able to get coverage for the 2015, and how many miles were on it? I have a 2014 with 90k miles. Oil level was down last month when we changed the oil, so monitoring it over the next 3k miles. I contacted GM executive office and they said they could submit for reimbursement after any needed repairs were done but couldn't guarantee anything. I haven't gone to a dealer, been using our independent mechanic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You’ll want to work through a GM dealership and explain you’re low on oil, and start the “oil consumption test.” They will instruct how it works, but iirc, I had to take it to the dealership every 1,000 miles for an oil level check and they kept a log and it ended up consuming oil at a rate that qualified for the piston rings, timing chains, etc.

I doubt you’d be able to get any help if you’re working through an independent mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 93 of 93 Posts