GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 108K miles, many over the pothole-ridden roads of East Baltimore, it's time for new shocks/struts - 2010 L4 FWD.

I've found info on replacing the rears, doesn't seem bad.

Question: Has anyone replaced the front struts? If so, what product did you use? I've been looking online for a complete strut/spring replacement (AC Delco calls it a Ready Strut), but with no luck for this model.

Assuming I can't find the ready/quick strut, am I okay to just replace the strut, or do the mount and spring need to be replaced as well...?

thanks

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
If you do take it on yourself, make sure of marking steering knuckles and other part orientation and placing when installing.

One or more people have come here after doing it and had steering issues, knocking and some other problems. Either out of spec struts or incorrect installation even after following YouTube videos and text on the web.

There might be some here who have done it and will chime in. Davek . .. ?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hi ,

I have used # 72527 , # 72526 monroe struts , not really a "quick strut" assembly. This is only the strut, you still need the
bearing and top mount , #20827102 , #20839649. GM#'s , 2 of each.

Same for Ac Delco , # 503-683 , 503-684 , still need bearing and mount for complete install.

:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigb12359 said:
hi ,

I have used # 72527 , # 72526 monroe struts , not really a "quick strut" assembly. This is only the strut, you still need the
bearing and top mount , #20827102 , #20839649. GM#'s , 2 of each.

Same for Ac Delco , # 503-683 , 503-684 , still need bearing and mount for complete install.

thanks! Did you replace the coil spring also?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hi ,

yes I did , # 81386 (set of 2 ) Monroe , as well , you could use Monroe # 906956 for the mount kits , you would need 2 .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: completed the front strut replacement yesterday. Not a particularly difficult job. Everything was easily accessible. Majority of the time spent was compressing the spring to remove the strut, and replace with the new one. But that was likely due to using a cheap harbor freight spring compressor, the kind with two independent threaded hooks, so twice the work. Have to imagine it would have gone more quickly with a better compression tool.

Ended up replacing the mounts also (Monroe), but not the springs.

Now I just need to find someplace to get rid of the old struts... junkyard wouldn't take them

Thanks for the advice and recommendations

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found front struts complete with springs at Rock Auto. A little more money but, much quicker installation. Struts were by Monroe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts