GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Just bought my new Terrain last week. Got the SLE-2 with sunroof and convenience package in the 4-cyl. Absolutely love it so far. What i can't figure out is the proper procedure for installing a front license plate. I just can't been seen around town not supporting my beloved edmonton oilers. i don't see any pre-marked spots for drilling into the front bumper for it. anyone else done it yet?
thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my state a front plate is required by law so the dealer is required to install the option made for this vehicle. I bet you could purchase it from your dealer's parts department and either have them install or see if it comes with instructions. As much as I dislike a front plate this mounting kit does match the vehicle nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My state requires it but I prefer the way it looks without a plate. Same with my Durango. No front plate.

Kevin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
The Oil?!? My condolences. Why taint such a nice vehicle? ;)

Go Wings!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
golfpro12 said:
Hello all!
Just bought my new Terrain last week. Got the SLE-2 with sunroof and convenience package in the 4-cyl. Absolutely love it so far. What i can't figure out is the proper procedure for installing a front license plate. I just can't been seen around town not supporting my beloved edmonton oilers. i don't see any pre-marked spots for drilling into the front bumper for it. anyone else done it yet?
thanks!
Front bracket comes with instructions stamped in the plastic didn't include any fastners to put it on with Self tapping screws work but instructions want you to use rivets..
Paid dealer 15 bucks for the bracket and 15 to put it on Dealer used screws....Bracket is contoured to fit on the bumper but you have to make sure its centered

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wow...if it wasn't required by law I would NEVER ruin the looks of my vehicles with any kind of holder/plate on the front. :eek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just picked mine up last weekend. The dealer called me and asked me if I wanted the front license plate bracket installed. I said "sure" without thinking, but then thought afterwards that they were going to hit me for another $29 or so. They transfered my plates from my trade-in while I was signing papers and never asked for anything extra.

I would go back to the dealer, epescially if your state requires front plates and ask them to install it. Worst case, they may charge a couple bucks.

edit: sorry, at first, I didn't see that this post was almost a year old. Any update?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
smary1 said:
Haven't done it yet but facing similar issue. Will drill holes for sure.
If your going to install this yourself, you may want to put the bracket on with double stick foam tape first to make sure it's where you want it to be then drill into that bumper once you make that hole in the bumper, it's in there

·
Registered
111 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
If your going to install this yourself, you may want to put the bracket on with double stick foam tape first to make sure it's where you want it to be then drill into that bumper once you make that hole in the bumper, it's in there
That is a great idea to make sure it is centered and level. I bought mine out of state and I have to install the front plate, unfortunately. I hate to ruin the nice fairing on the nose with an ugly (and unnecessary really IMO) plate. I found the plate holder under the spare tire cover and includes four pop rivets and four screws in a plastic bag. I know there is really strong Velcro and I wonder if it would be good enough to hold the plate on the four mounting points. One thing that might knock it off is an automatic car wash, but I don't use them.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GMJay said:
That is a great idea to make sure it is centered and level. I bought mine out of state and I have to install the front plate, unfortunately. I hate to ruin the nice fairing on the nose with an ugly (and unnecessary really IMO) plate. I found the plate holder under the spare tire cover and includes four pop rivets and four screws in a plastic bag. I know there is really strong Velcro and I wonder if it would be good enough to hold the plate on the four mounting points. One thing that might knock it off is an automatic car wash, but I don't use them.
I dont think velcro will hold it maybe 3m double sticktrim tape but if your required to have the plate, id put it on with screws/rivets

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had opposite problem. Live in PA. Test drove and purchased thinking there was no front plate. Then mine rolled in from NJ with one. I was disapointed but came to love the way it "breaks" up the front look. I have a nice Phillies plate that makes it look like it was destined to be there. The dealer said it would be a pain to remove but he said had i wanted one he could have done it no problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I dont think velcro will hold it maybe 3m double sticktrim tape but if your required to have the plate, id put it on with screws/rivets
You're right, it should go on with the rivets :( If we ever get a weekend without rain I can actually install it.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
GMJay said:
You're right, it should go on with the rivets :( If we ever get a weekend without rain I can actually install it.
Rivits (pop rivits) tend to not work very well in a material that is somewhat soft like your bumper.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RIT333 said:
Rivits (pop rivits) tend to not work very well in a material that is somewhat soft like your bumper.
But that is what comes with the bracket from the factory.
Myself, I went with self taping screws stainless of course,,,
Isn't the bumper just a polymyer shell over a block of styrafoam? and wouldn't the rivet expand to the back of the shell and hold securely?

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
But that is what comes with the bracket from the factory.
Myself, I went with self taping screws stainless of course,,,
Isn't the bumper just a polymyer shell over a block of styrafoam? and wouldn't the rivet expand to the back of the shell and hold securely?
I was thinking of the 1/8" diameter pop rivits. If that is what the factory uses, then it should be good enough, because the factory can do no wrong ! LOL (fuel pumps, headliner, tranny, etc.)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There is some really good velcro on the market (3m plastic type) that came with my I-Pass. I bought extra pieces of it for other uses. I used it on my Harley windshield and I also use it to mount a blocking plate across the oil cooler on my Harley during the winter. Great stuff. You almost need a prybar to get it apart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts