GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about the front license plate bracket. Do you get one with a new Terrain? If so is it installed? I stopped at the dealership today and talked to the salesman about putting splashguards on for me but totally forgot about the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dealer in California put it on the Terrain. A requirement there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you buy a vehicle in a State or Province where a front plate is required, by law your dealer has to have it installed before you leave the lot. If the front plate isn't required you can still get it as an option. There about 15 bucks from the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got one with my Terrain that I bought in Ohio, but since I live in Indiana I didn't need to have it installed.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
redneck70 said:
If you buy a vehicle in a State or Province where a front plate is required, by law your dealer has to have it installed before you leave the lot. If the front plate isn't required you can still get it as an option. There about 15 bucks from the dealer.
Not true. Its not the dealerships responsibility to have the vehicle meet the state laws. Plus, many states dont give you plates when your purchase the vehicle.

However, with that said, if it comes with a front plate most dealers install it anyway. I would of KILLED our dealer had they installed our front plate because like Jeff stated, IN doesnt require one. They would be buying me a new bumper.

Also, there are numerous other ways to mount the plate that dont require drilling into the bumper. Ive seen a few pop up on ebay recently. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually believe it or not it IS the dealerships responsibility to meet state laws as far as front plates go if it's required by law. Here's California's law but I imagine all states requiring front plate are basically the same.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm

The only way you can get around it is by signing an acknowledgment releasing the dealership from all liability.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ahhh, the communist state of California. Everything, and I mean everything, is done different out there. They will even ticket drivers for not complying with their tint laws even though their vehicle is legal in their home state. A lot of other things as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts