GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new 2011 Equinox 1LT. The seats are extremely comfortable, and I am a big guy. However, I am 6'1 and the way the headrest extends down in the front is very uncomfortable to my upper back and low neck. This is regardless of where I set the height. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get replacement, maybe aftermarket headrests. Very disturbing. Something like the headrests with the Monitors ont he back, but without the monitors of course. :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Funny you should mention this, but I have noticed that the front seat headrests are too far back to rest your head on for sleeping, which also makes them too far back to provide much whiplash protection. Ironically, I just saw a new Equinox commercial last night that went like this: family is coming home late at night, the kids are happily in the back and mom is driving...dad is asleep in the front seat. The ironic thing is that GM used a base LS Equinox for the commercial which means the kids had no dvd screen in the headrests, yet weren't the least bit squirmy. :D

To answer your question, I don't know of any aftermarket headrests for the Nox, but it seems like a poor design decision to make them straight up and down with the seatback. They should angle forward a bit or at least be adjustable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm...This must be a "to each his own" feature ...

Personally, when looking at 4 vehicles to decide which to buy, this became one of two deciding factors for me when buying the Equinox. I can't stand those headrests that they now make where it drives your head forward as you sit curving your neck back into it. Evven if you sit very straight, you can't avoid touching that headrest with you head....very annoying...Everything else new that I've seen is like this, an appx. 20 degree angle formed between headrest and backseat. It's crazy uncomfortable to me. Admittedly, the others were foreign designed cars which might play into the height/comfort thing; I don' know for sure.

I love that the Nox is almost straight up and down. I see it working fine for stopping my head in an accident if needed. I find it very comfortable and almost wish it were a little flatter in following the line of the seat. Note, this comes from someone 6' .

**The other vehicle I was deciding between almost won me IF I could have flipped the headrest around. I noticed one headrest completely out and thought of this. Alas, the notches that hold it in place as you move it up and down were literally one-sided so it would work. There was a significant price difference between that one and the Nox; I went with the Nox largely in part due to the headrest design.** I haven't looked at this flip potential on the Equinox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually like the straightness of it. But just the extension on the front of the headrest is bulging into my back. Granted, this is due to my size and shape of course. Jecilop, you mentioned the flip potential. Yesterday I thought about that too....gotta see if I can pull it out and flip it, so the extended part faces back, that would certainly solve the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just need to recline the seat a bit, I'm 6'3" and yeah it pushed my head forward, but tilting the whole seat back a bit is still comfortable and I no longer touch the headrest in normal conditions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm happy with the angle of the headrest in the Nox. We looked at the Malibu and the headrest in that sucked. Loved the car but the headrest killed the experience. WAY to far forward!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
FL Terrain said:
Just need to recline the seat a bit, I'm 6'3" and yeah it pushed my head forward, but tilting the whole seat back a bit is still comfortable and I no longer touch the headrest in normal conditions.
:ditto:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all...but I think you misunderstood me. In my particular case, the headset does not push my head forward at all....it is fine. Except for the bottom of it. If you look at it, you will notice that it extends down further in the front, than in the back. Even reclined more, it juts out too much.....touching the top of my back and lower neck. I know what you mean in regards to the headrests that puch your head forward....then again, I may be taller than some of you and it hits a different spot for me perhaps?? who knows lol. Anyone know if I can flip it??

·
Registered
48 Posts
myequinox said:
I actually like the straightness of it. But just the extension on the front of the headrest is bulging into my back. Granted, this is due to my size and shape of course. Jecilop, you mentioned the flip potential. Yesterday I thought about that too....gotta see if I can pull it out and flip it, so the extended part faces back, that would certainly solve the problem.
Hmm...you must have a reeeeeeeelllly long upper body. It almost sounds as if your head extends past the headrest then making it unsafe for you in a wreck. I'm going to ask the silly question...Have you extended the headrest as high as it will go?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL - Yes I extended it all the way up ... too funny. But good question as ya never know out there. Also the top of my he is higher than the headrest, but it still supports my head as needed. Just that stupid extension in the front.....very annoying!!! lol Love the car though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Equinox Headrests very uncomfortable

I am a 5'9" female and I also find the front headrest VERY uncomfortable, pushing my head forward. Forget about wearing a ponytail because that makes it worse. Like a lot of woman I do tend to sit a bit straighter than men, however I have tried to recline the seat and it doesn't help. I will try taking the thing out and reversing it. I wished I would have noticed this when test driving it because I hate it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We cannot turn the headrest around in the 2018 nox...and i believe they design it to prevent whiplash when hit from behind but it is quite uncomfortable for some of us.

We have put a small pillow/cushion which is 2 inches thick that hangs below the headrest between your back and the seat and this holds the back/neck/heat a bit forward from the head rest. so you might tilt the back seat a bit back after that if it is too straight up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually they are not headrest, they are they to keep your head from snapping back during an accident, and causing whiplash

·
Registered
684 Posts
Actually they are not headrest, they are they to keep your head from snapping back during an accident, and causing whiplash

It may be so but one design/measurement does not fit all bodies. Too bad they did not give a couple of inches in adjustment. For some of us sitting in that position for one hour or so is litterally a pain in the neck !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts