GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My daughter has a 2012 Terrain AWD. It needed front pads and rotors, rear pads and rotors, front struts and rear shocks. I did all of this work 2 days ago. When I took it for a ride it had a whoop noise in the front like bad brakes or a bad wheel bearing sound. I knew I just put on new brakes and checked them to make sure they were fine. I had replaced both front hubs and all 4 tires last November, so I figured maybe the hubs were bad again. So I replaced both front hubs again today and I still have the noise. It sure sounds like something that is turning when the car is moving. The faster we go the fast the noise is. It is the loudest when it is rolling slower than when faster. I don't see anything wrong. What am I overlooking?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Strong man. I'd check them close before replacing them. From everything I have found, the noise we are having is not an indication of CV joint issues. I'll update if I figure it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Make sure you didn’t accidentally bend the brake rotor splash shields. They may be bent down and rubbing against the rotors, causing this noise. When I change my struts, I usually accidentally bend these, and have to push them back straight with a screwdriver so I don’t get the “whooshing” noises.. check that first before spending time/money on bigger stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smitty,
Thanks, but I checked that. No rubbing and you can't hear any noise when you drive in town with the windows open. No noise bouncing off the houses or curbs. I've been standing outside when my daughter get home and I can't hear anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmm.. a bit stumped on this one.. what brand of hub/bearing assemblies? Even though you just changed them, could be bad quality out of the box.

Did you take the lug nuts up to 140ft-lbs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moog and I changed them both. Yes. Has me baffled too. I need to get back under it and just lay there and study it. I haven't had the time and it's been so hot here. I'm thinking maybe the driveshaft to the rear wheels. It's definitely something that spins when driving and that changes with speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the same problem with my 2015. New brakes rotors sway bar end links and wheel bearings.
Noise changed but still there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
like woopwoopwoompwoomp at a certain speed it sounds like their could be either loose rim/ lug nut maybe debris trapped behind the wheel when you go to torque them down even off by 1/10 of an inch could cause that sound.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
I didn't realize that 0.1 lb-ft difference is that critical when torquing lug nuts. Seems like like every car on the road would be making that noise if that were the case.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I figured out what the noise was. Believe it or not it was the tires. I had rotated the tires at the same time as I did the brake job. When I test drove the vehicle it sounded exactly like a bad hub bearing, so I changed both front hub bearings. Now I took them off again and looked at them really close. I noticed what is called feathering especially on the inside rows of treads, so this time I switched sides to reverse the rotation. Now they sound better and the front has smoothed right out. It's hard to believe the tires even made the steering wheel shake and like the rotors were bad.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
In retrospect, it sounds like the obvious , huh ? As they say, hindsight is 20:20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts