GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Front dome light buttons?

25K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  Rickbb63 
#1 ·
The buttons that turn on the front reading lights... Are those buttons supposed to be lit up at night? Like, the switch that turns on all the lights will be lit up at night, but the two buttons in front of that switch don't light up...are they supposed to? Seems like they should, right?

#4 ·
Well, that's stupid. They ran a light right there, why wouldn't they have them lit up. Really, that's kind of upsetting.

Thanks for letting me know though.

#6 ·
rshaw1655 said:
I agree it doesn't make sense, everything else seems to light up. I wonder if the 2012 buttons can be installed in the 2011?
I would think it would be a plug-and-play mod. I didn't see any parts available yet on GMPartsDirect.com Maybe the dealer can get them. Caution - they probably won't be cheap !

#8 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information. I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Concerning this specific topic, what exactly would you be able to tell us with the VIN number? I don't understand....it's a model year issue apparently...

#9 ·
Normally and depending on the state the only thing you can get from a VIN is general information, I.e.- name, address, basic insurance info, and if there is a lien holder. But some states give you your entire vehicle history and personal information. Just depends on the state.

#10 ·
Phantm006 said:
Normally and depending on the state the only thing you can get from a VIN is general information, I.e.- name, address, basic insurance info, and if there is a lien holder. But some states give you your entire vehicle history and personal information. Just depends on the state.
I think that Sumr616's point is - why are you asking me for my VIN, when all they want to do is buy/locate some new switches.

#11 ·
yep, it is pretty stupid that they don't light up. at night you kind of need help finding the button. i pulled off the cover once...no bulb there. it is disappointing that crap like that get's fixed the next year. what's sucks is it is the kind of thing you could not really have on a check list to check on before you buy a vehicle because it so obviously needed. it would be like checking your spare tire to make sure it held air...how can you not have a reading LIGHT not be lit to find it at night.

#12 ·
Yes, RIT, thank you. I just don't understand what could be accomplished in this situation by having someone look up my VIN. Like, is there a possible update or service bulletin allowing for a light bulb to be installed for those buttons? Anyways, it's stupid they don't light up.

scottb said:
how can you not have a reading LIGHT not be lit to find it at night.
THANK YOU! lol. I usually just end up pushing the button to turn on all of the overhead lights, then turning on my dome light, then I turn off the "all lights" button.

So. Stupid. It's trivial, a small issue, but still annoying.

#13 ·
RIT333 said:
I think that Sumr616's point is - why are you asking me for my VIN, when all they want to do is buy/locate some new switches.
Well I understand and agree with you on that much. But the specific question asked was "what exactly would you be able to tell us with the VIN number?" So I provided what I know...

#15 ·
I needed the VIN to determine if it is possible and what may be necessary to upgrade his particular vehicle to have the button illuminated. Thank you.

Tricia, Phantom has an SLE-2 as you can see from his signature information. If you could please post the feasibility of putting lighted buttons in the 2011 SLE-2, it would be of interest to a fair number of us. Thanks.

#16 ·
Tdog said:
Tricia, Phantom has an SLE-2 as you can see from his signature information. If you could please post the feasibility of putting lighted buttons in the 2011 SLE-2, it would be of interest to a fair number of us. Thanks.
^Agreed. I think we would all like to know if this is possible. I have an '11 Equinox LS, only option is the bluetooth package. Even just some general information on it would be helpful I think.

#17 ·
I needed the VIN to determine if it is possible and what may be necessary to upgrade his particular vehicle to have the button illuminated. Thank you.

So Tricia, are you saying that within a model year and specific model type (i.e. LTZ) there may be enough changes throughout the build cycle that would make something as simple as a light switch, incompatible from car to car ? Wow - if that were the case, I feel sorry for the parts inventory that GM would have to stock to handle all cases. I would hope that GM is much smarter than that.

:banghead:

#18 ·
In Tricias defense she didnt build the NOX/Terrain, she most likely doesnt deal with only NOX/Terrains exclusively but the entire chevy line. Im sure she does not know off of the top of her head any minor details of each and every car and how each detail works and whats behind the plastic for every model year. If she just goes and says yea it will work on the NOX/Terrains and it does on some with certain options then thats great, but the first time it doesnt work because someone doesnt have an option or vice versa they will be crying up a storm and could potentially get her into some heat. So while it doesn't help all of us, it will help the one person who will then go thru the process in doing it and then they can report in and post up info on the install.

#20 ·
Well i dont particularly care if anyone knows my VIN. Being in law enforcement I 've had to run my own VIN a couple of times and Georgia doesn't put much but the basic info. South Carolina is similar. Other states barely put anyhting or what I consider too much.

#21 ·
Considering it is visible and in plain site to anyone walking by looking at the dashboard, I don't see why anyone would be concerned giving it to a GM employee who is trying to research something for you.

Although this is one of those mods that is try it and see what happens...

#22 ·
Just maybe all vehicles were built with or without a little pigtail that would allow someone to do this upgrade to a certain date then someone in GM decided to save a couple pennys on each vehicle or spend a couple pennys on each vehicle to add/delete this wire
The Vin would tell the cutoff date...Jezz why give the lady grief...either give the Vin or not...

#23 ·
Good lord people, I never said I was worried about sharing my VIN. I've already messaged her like 4 other times about different issues, sharing my VIN with her.

Simply put - I was asking "concerning this specific issue", by giving my VIN, exactly what would be the determining factor that SHE would be able to verify as to how this mod would be done or if it was even possible. Is it a model year, a build range, a specific option package?

Point being, it's still stupid that button doesn't light up. I don't care what anyone says. haha.

#24 ·
Sumr616 said:
Good lord people, I never said I was worried about sharing my VIN. I've already messaged her like 4 other times about different issues, sharing my VIN with her.

Simply put - I was asking "concerning this specific issue", by giving my VIN, exactly what would be the determining factor that SHE would be able to verify as to how this mod would be done or if it was even possible. Is it a model year, a build range, a specific option package?

Point being, it's still stupid that button doesn't light up. I don't care what anyone says. haha.
Yes, it is stupid that these buttons are not lite, Did my answer help you out at all?
Small dot of reflective tape works great for me as I don't use the lights very often anyhow

#26 ·
rickbb63 said:
The switches can be illuminated. They are translucent. I put a pair of blue LEDs behind them and wired them into a wire from towing harness. Looks great.
A wire from the towing harness ? I wouldn't think that would be anywhere near the switches - but great idea. Any pictures ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.