GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my recent tale of woe and repair with you all.

This past Wednesday, the 26th, I was the front car in a 3-car accident. I was stopped, as was the car behind me (90's Camry), however the '88 Chevy Van in the back kept going. Needless to say, the Camry gave my brand new 'Nox (870 miles) a little love tap and left what you see in the picture below. By no means detrimental, but any damage to my baby is no bueno. This all occured around 9:30 PM.

Flash forward to 11 PM when I get home and get a chance to talk to my insurance company. I must say I spoke with the loveliest individual they could have hired during this little ordeal (kudos to Allstate). She informed me that due to the fact there were more than 2 cars involved, Allstate would handle the repairs and then seek reimbursement from the offenders insurance company (all of this after I pay my deductible of course). This is great news as there were able to schedule an inspection for me at 8AM Thursday morning.

The inspection goes pretty normal, they approve replacing the bumper, associated trim, and all the pads behind the bumper, and cut me a check.

I promptly drive to the dealership where I purchased my car to see about repairs. I am delighted to hear that they are not only able to meet the insurance quote, but that they are trying to finish up work prior to the end of the month. What does that mean for me? Well, it meant that the bumper would be received Thursday afternoon, the trim pieces Friday, and I would be driving my 'Nox home on Friday. Awesome news.

So, now its Saturday, I'm happy to say my 'Nox is at home with me, getting a nice bath from Mother Nature. There was some additional work required, but my Allstate agent was able to handle the approval for that over the phone so the repairs didn't hit any speedbumps. All-in-all, while it still sucks to have had an accident so soon, the response both by Allstate, and then by my dealer (shoutout to Hampton Chevy), has made things much better.

Now all that is left is to get reimbursed from the offenders insurance company, and file a diminished value claim, and I can put this short ordeal behind me.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear of your ordeal but glad you are okay and your baby has been healed.

I've never heard of a diminished value claim...what is that? Does it apply in all states?

Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Diminished value is when you have had a accident on your vehicle and even though it has been repaired back to original condition
is now worth less then one the is exactly the same as your that was not in an accident.
If you are selling or trading off a vehicle you are to disclose to the buyer of any accidents. People will not pay as much for a vehicle that was in an accident or might not buy it at all. So in some states and nowhere in Canada insurance companies have to pay you for that loss in value due to the accident.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not much damage so if you can make a claim diminished value it would be minimal. Depends on where you live. You have your best chance seeking this against a 3rd party

The majority of these courts have ruled that comprehensive and collision coverage limit liability to payments for proper repairs and do not provide for payments for losses in value, he says. State supreme courts that have set this precedent include those in Delaware, Indiana, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, South Carolina, South Dakota and Texas. A few appellate courts have made similar rulings, including those in Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

But what if someone else crashes into you (a third-party claim)? Shouldn’t they, and their insurance company, be responsible for reimbursing you for your car’s drop in value?

"Third-party claims may be payable on a case-by-case basis under liability coverages. That’s based on state law and is not a part of the insurance contract

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Traded an 09 Nox on the 10 Terrain and when the dealer ran the carfax it came up that the Nox was in an accident above 2500 (Someone sideswiped my side) and the offer for the vehicle went down by 1500...
It does matter...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts