GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon me if this is a stupid question or if its been asked, I couldnt find this topic.

Is there a way to set the fog lamps to come on with the headlights? Every other car ive ever owned, once the fogs are switched on they come on automatically with the headlights. This one it seems that you need to flick the stalk every time your lights are on to turn them on, but you need to do it every time you drive the car.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. I would also love this capability. It took me months to realize that my fogs were no longer on. (saw my car's reflection in a window, and was surprised !)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm with you guys, this has been bothering me since I got my Terrain. I've just been turning them on manually every time I drive at night, which is kind of silly to have to do. Obviously there isn't an OEM feature to enable this functionality - I wonder if anyone can come up with a 'hack' for it.

Btw, RIT333, I'm an RIT alum too who lives in Rochester.

·
Registered
441 Posts
theres soo many **** relays/switches on cars now days is though to do any simple modding....

you could set up a in line relay on the fogs and tie it in with the headlights/drls....

·
Registered
482 Posts
gar187er said:
theres soo many **** relays/switches on cars now days is though to do any simple modding....

you could set up a in line relay on the fogs and tie it in with the headlights/drls....
Hhmm I think the DRL's/headlight may be seperate circuits? Also the DRL's may be a lower power thing so that circuit may not be good?

Maybe find an unused fuse box connection that is hot only when key is in on position (perhaps put a switch in there also, just in case)

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
suprax said:
Btw, RIT333, I'm an RIT alum too who lives in Rochester.
Hold on there suprax...I threw a curve ball at you and you swung and missed. My name is Richard and my nickname is "Rit". It is a very localized (just about only in Schenectady NY) nickname, and I know of 10-20 Richards that go by Rit. When I get a phone call asking for Rich or Dick, I always know that it is a telemarketer, not a friend.

BTW - I went to Oswego - not that far from Rochester. You probably saw some of the snow flakes that eventually landed in Oswego !

Good guess, though !!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't want to be an ass but why would you want to have your fog lights always on? (especially if it took you months to notice they were not automaticly turned on!)

I did read about fog lights before buying my Nox because I wanted to know if they were really useful or not and from what I understood it is best to keep them off. (Anyway where I live law makes it illegal to use them when you don't need them, even if that law isn't really applied...)They will really be useful only once or twice in a year and a lot of people commented it would be almost the same thing has having your highbeams on at all times : very annoying.

·
Registered
468 Posts
BigBlarg said:
it would be almost the same thing has having your highbeams on at all times : very annoying.
Those people must drive really low cars where the fog light beam gets into there eyes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
BigBlarg said:
I don't want to be an ass but why would you want to have your fog lights always on? (especially if it took you months to notice they were not automaticly turned on!)

I did read about fog lights before buying my Nox because I wanted to know if they were really useful or not and from what I understood it is best to keep them off. (Anyway where I live law makes it illegal to use them when you don't need them, even if that law isn't really applied...)They will really be useful only once or twice in a year and a lot of people commented it would be almost the same thing has having your highbeams on at all times : very annoying.
i've never felt that oncoming traffic's foglights have bothered me...and i've really never heard of a LAW against it, that just seems crazy)

anywho, in my old Xtreme Blazer you could piggy-back a fuse to another fuse, but i'm thinking without actually hitting the switch everytime you get in and out, running the fuse to a "hot when car is on" fuse won't do anything besides add the ability to run fogs without the headlights and it seems that the fog switch is wired to check if the headlights are on, and if not, turn them on as well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
where is it against the law to use your fogs?!?!

and how are they useful only once or twice a year? you live in san diego?!!?

Use mine all the time....between rain, fog, and just like being able to see the road........

oh yea, and during the day too...id rather replace my cheap h9's then my $50 philips xtreme bulbs...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in Québec, Canada and personally know someone who got a fine for using his fog lights when not needed. We do have some fog but it's rarely thick enough to make fog lights useful. Happens to me about once or twice a year.

I couldn't find the text of law saying when to use or not use them for my province but with google I could find it for some states and also for some european countries. Some of the rules says that to use the fog lights you have to follow the same rules for using the high beams (no one in front of you, etc...) other rules says the visibility must be under 100 ft otherwise you must turn them off.

Also, using the fog light in the rain is not of any use. The reflection of the lights on the water may blind oncoming trafic.

You may also think other people will see you more easily but in the end it could only make them look away or dim their mirror and see you less.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've never found fog lights to be useful. They really don't project very far or make any significant difference in visibility as far as I can tell, with or without actual fog. Maybe the Equinox/Terrain fogs are better but I didn't bother to get them.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Registered
297 Posts
I find the fog lights on the 'Nox very useful. They do a good job of projecting the light down in front and off to the left and right of the vehicle. I use the fogs quite often. Nevermind the fact that the 'Nox looks way better with the chrome bezels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
I find the fog lights on the 'Nox very useful. They do a good job of projecting the light down in front and off to the left and right of the vehicle. I use the fogs quite often.
I agree. They light up more of the road for sure.

·
Registered
441 Posts
aux lighting is illegal with other drivers on the roads...factory fog lights are not illegal....people complaining that they are blinding are dealing with improperly mounted aftermarket fog/aux lights....

id much rather aholes get pulled over for HID lighting in reflector housings....

my fogs add a good deal of light onto the road immediately in front and to the sides of my nox.....if im driving at night, they are on.....and generally during the day its my parking lights and fog lights...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For those who dont use fog lamps, I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION!!! I wasnt asking who likes them or finds use for them. I live an hour from San Diego, and we get horrible fog here, but thats even besides the point.

Fogs arent headlights, their purpose is to light up the road right in front of the vehicle, between the bumper and where the headlight beam starts.

Lets try this again, I want to see if anyone has a hack to have them turn on with the headlights.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dave25 said:
Lets try this again, I want to see if anyone has a hack to have them turn on with the headlights.
Would be nice to have them on all the time.
On dark side streets they work really well and I like having them on.

·
Registered
748 Posts
gar187er said:
id much rather aholes get pulled over for HID lighting in reflector housings....
Likewise....

·
Registered
170 Posts
technically they go thru a relay (Mini Fuse 38 in engine fuse box) so you could force it closed. The good thing is that you can make it back to stock prior bringing the car in for service or warranty repairs..
Ideally buy a new relay that you perform the surgery instead of on/off/on/off/on/off that will eventually wreck it.

good luck, please report back for the benefit of the forum!

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Maybe I'll get brave today and take a look at the relay. Should be able to short out the coil-side of the relay, and then whenever the headlights are on low-beam, the fogs sgould be energized. However they will go off when you turn on the high beams, Anyone else with any "theorys" ? A circuit diagram would make it easier. Anyone have one ?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts