GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have bought a Chevrolet Equinox LS 2018 that comes without fog lamps. I thought that i could buy them later and I bought the 2 fog lamps with the part numbers are 84226249 and 84226250. Now i have a big problem, because i need a new harness and others parts in order to install the new 2 fog lamps.

I would like to know all the parts that i need to buy in order to install the 2 fog lamps in my Chevrolet Equinox LS model 2018.

Regards
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I’m rather certain that in addition to other parts (I don’t have the list, but also the switch assembly) - you will have to have the BCM reprogrammed to recognize the switch and lights.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm curious about the outcome of this project. Unfortunately it may turn into an expensive and frustrating experience.

Agree that the BCM would need to be flashed to recognize an additional accessory.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Have them installed at dealer , maybe 1.5 hrs with programming ??

research in search function within forum

gm doesn’t offer it as an add on kit for the 2018+ like they did previous generations. i’ve been waiting since over over 2017 for the dealer to figure out what’s needed to add them, when i bought the vehicle they said a kit would probably be available within 6 months and a year and a half later it still isn’t, i’m losing hope for it at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Use the "search" function and you will find my posts describing my fog light installation on my 2018 LT diesel. I don't believe there is any complete kit avaiable for these vehicles dealer installed or complete for owner install. I bought the same, (Premier), fog light assemblies that you did and installed them myself, making up my own harness with required relays, fuses and switch. No need to flash ECM and they work automatically with low beams, (w/switch on), and turn off when high beams are used.
FYI, you will find that the directional signal bulb is double filament and those in your vehicle are single filiment. One filiment is not used and may have a future use but the plug for your stock signal bulb will not plug onto the double filiment bulb and the single filiment bulb will not index into your "new" fixtures. (I was able to remove one of the plastic index points on the double filiment bulb and stock plug slid right on.
As you might see, this install isn't for the faint of heart but I totally enjoy this kind of project and the results have been 100% reliable.
Good luck,
Howard

·
Registered
513 Posts
installed them myself, making up my own harness with required relays, fuses and switch. No need to flash ECM and they work automatically with low beams, (w/switch on), and turn off when high beams are used.
Yes, you did it the old fashioned way, which would work well. You used the low beam circuit to trigger the relay to provide power to the fogs.

This is how I probably would do this if I really wanted to have them; so far I've been putting it off, also waiting for an accessory kit from GM.

Apparently GM would rather have us purchase the Premier trim than have a lot of accessory options.

·
Registered
196 Posts
. You used the low beam circuit to trigger the relay to provide power to the fogs.

On the LT with the HID headlights a second relay is needed since the high beams are not a separate bulb or filament. The high beam circuit intensifies the same filament (?) as the low beams. So a second relay, (normally closed), triggered by the high beam circuit must be added to break the fog light circuit when high beams are used.
Howard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the install like HCO41 works great only thing is how did you aim them there's a gear on the housing is this for aiming? if so which controls up?

·
Registered
531 Posts
. You used the low beam circuit to trigger the relay to provide power to the fogs.

On the LT with the HID headlights a second relay is needed since the high beams are not a separate bulb or filament. The high beam circuit intensifies the same filament (?) as the low beams. So a second relay, (normally closed), triggered by the high beam circuit must be added to break the fog light circuit when high beams are used.
Howard

unfortunately i just pretty much confirmed a gm “kit” WONT be available, the factory headlight switch only uses 8 wires and there is only 8 wires in the harness on an Lt the switch with the fog light button uses 9 wires. in the past the wiring has always been in the dash to add fogs. i doubt gm would ever sell a kit where you to run wires all the way into the dash very disappointing they are losing out on a big market in accessories here. plenty of people bought the add on kit for the equinox, terrain and cruze before it was a very simple install and a quick reflash and then everything looked factory with no added switches or wires. Fog lights are almost a lacking safety feature here, they really help visibility

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yes, you did it the old fashioned way, which would work well. You used the low beam circuit to trigger the relay to provide power to the fogs.

This is how I probably would do this if I really wanted to have them; so far I've been putting it off, also waiting for an accessory kit from GM.

Apparently GM would rather have us purchase the Premier trim than have a lot of accessory options.
If GM doesn't come thru with a kit you might be on your own.
I'm in the same boat with my 2018 Encore.
I'm going to get the fog light assemblies, bezels, and dash switch and wire them myself.
The factory switch is a straight bolt in with a led light when on, perfect.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If GM doesn't come thru with a kit you might be on your own.
I'm in the same boat with my 2018 Encore.
I'm going to get the fog light assemblies, bezels, and dash switch and wire them myself.
The factory switch is a straight bolt in with a led light when on, perfect.
My prior vehicle was a Chevy Sonic. Mine had factory fog lamps as it was the LTZ trim. If you had a model without fogs, there was a kit to upgrade.

Look at the lost accessory sales and dealer services/re-flash for this accessory alone.

I have the Redline package on my 2019. It is sporty, has the 2.0 engine, the good navigation system, heated seats, nice wheels, etc; but it is not available with fog lights at any cost, go figure!

·
Registered
531 Posts
My prior vehicle was a Chevy Sonic. Mine had factory fog lamps as it was the LTZ trim. If you had a model without fogs, there was a kit to upgrade.

Look at the lost accessory sales and dealer services/re-flash for this accessory alone.

I have the Redline package on my 2019. It is sporty, has the 2.0 engine, the good navigation system, heated seats, nice wheels, etc; but it is not available with fog lights at any cost, go figure!

crazy how gm put together “packages” on the new generation, previously leather had been available for $1000 on a 2lt which i gladly opted for when i ordered my 2015. a lot of people will order an extra option or 2 if offered but won’t jump for the huge price tag of the premier. i didn’t, of i decide to keep the vehicle i’ll do katzkin leather for about $1000 and be happy with it. the premier didn’t offer me anything else i wanted for the huge price increase, or so i thought.... the dealer said dogs would be available as a “kit” but now it’s looking like they won’t. Fog lights should almost be considered a safety item in a lot of areas where fog is prevalent. You shouldn’t have to buy the absolute top model just to have good visibility and be safe!!

as a side note, when i ordered my 2018 i was interested in a redline but they said i couldn’t get a sunroof with the redline package... strange

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

crazy how gm put together “packages” on the new generation.... the dealer said [fogs] would be available as a “kit” but now it’s looking like they won’t.

as a side note, when i ordered my 2018 i was interested in a redline but they said i couldn’t get a sunroof with the redline package... strange
But don’t they usually change up the options and packages as the generation moves through its model years?

Maybe there’s a new “Leak & Blind” package coming soon...?

·
Registered
531 Posts
But don’t they usually change up the options and packages as the generation moves through its model years?

Maybe there’s a new “Leak & Blind” package coming soon...?

they do “change up the packages” instead of being able to get the individual options you want now they “package” them together so for every one option you want, you have to pay for 3 others that you don’t. it’s a money grab and my local dealer has confirmed it... a lot of options didn’t sell well individually so they group them with popular ones so people will pay more to get the ones they want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ rednox301

I would like to know the number part that I have to buy for the bezels, and dash switch and wire for installing the fog assembly.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
@ rednox301

I would like to know the number part that I have to buy for the bezels, and dash switch and wire for installing the fog assembly.

Thanks

Alex

You can find it on GMPartsDirect.com or check with your dealer.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You can find it on GMPartsDirect.com or check with your dealer.
Get as much as you can at a place such as GM Parts Direct
You will probably come out better price wise.
The factory switch is the way to go, keep it simple, fuse your hot wires, use a relay, pick a wire that is only hot when the key is on.

You might visit the dealers parts dept for anything that will help like connectors and wire pig tails.
See link below for the factory switch.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2018/chevrolet/equinox/lt-trim/1-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/cluster-and-switches-scat/?part_number=84192536

·
Registered
196 Posts
"use a relay"
If you're planning to install the fog lights on a vehicle with dual a filament bulb, (one high beam, one low beam), you will only need one relay, (normally open), triggered by the low beam circuit.
When high beams are used the relay opens since there is no longer power in the low beam circuit.
If you are installing the fogs on an HID headlight equipped vehicle, you will need two relays, one (normally open), triggered by the low beam circuit, the second, (normally closed), triggered by the high beam circuit so the fog lights are cut off when using your high beams. This is the way all factory fog light installs function.
In many States it is illegal to use fog lights in conjunction with high beam headlights.
Howard

1 - 20 of 55 Posts