GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the 2012 Equinox for about a 3 mile ride. Parked the vehicle and 2 minutes later noticed a puddle under the muffler. Hard to tell whether water or other clear liquid. any ideas? could this just be condensation? What other fluids would end up there and why would it drip out?

thx

·
Registered
300 Posts
On short drives mine does the same, there's a little drain hole on the end of the muffler. One thing I don't understand though is why it gets so much condensation, it reminds me of an air conditioner dripping when you shut the car off. I don't remember any vehicle I've owned putting out this much Condensation. It doesn't seem like it would add to the longevity of a muffler.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There was a time when a hole in the muffler was a bad sign of things to come ;D in this case its a good thing as getting the water outta there is goodness. These days the cat kinda soaks of a lot of the heat until the whole system gets warmed, creating a longer term condensation time. Potentially I would guess short trips could be worse for longevity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much. Love this forum, saving lots of time and aggravation of dropping off at dealer to take it all day and not find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been drilling a drain hole in my mufflers for years now and haven't had to replace a muffler yet.
For the last 10 years or so the manufacturers are putting a drain hole in on one end of the muffler.
I always drill one in the other end so that it doesn't matter if you are parked level or not that the moisture has a way out.
I also check to make sure that the holes are clear when I am doing an oil change.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
the normal combustion- of gas--- a byproduct is H2O- water.
We normally see this as vapor when you 1st start your car. water vapor on cold exhaust pipes = water. It condenses and it begins to drip.
Short cars exuast heats up faster- Long mufflers- takes longer to warm up.
An example- my 2010 Traverse- long exhaust has 2 drip holes- one on muffles- and one further up- near the middle portion.
On some cars- you can see a little waterfall come out the tailpipe- when they accelerate hard.
So its normal. Take note that the GM Oil life monitor- dings (OLM % drops faster) the OIL life- on cars that are driven very short distances.
Why? engine does not get hot enough- to burn off moisture- and moisture will build up in the oil if youre one of those short distance drivers.
Also- many of todays exhaust pipes - have a little stainless steel mixed in when the metals are being mixed.
You dont see many rusted through pipes nowadays...
not like the 60's/70's.
Mufflers were LONG- and iron... Long, short drives, and steel only-- meant lots of rusted through mufflers. Anyone remember there used to be tons of muffler shops?

Nowadays- if you take drives where the engine- and exhaust pipes get hot enough- everyday- youre likely to never need to replace your pipes...
Especially if you live in a place like California..... where salts arent used--- 200K mile pipes-- look practically new.
Double check that youre actually dripping from the exhaust system.
Also-- put your hand by the exaust-- and your hand will get moist...
heres water dripping on my Traverse....
note the soot around the hole.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
ljlevin07 said:
thank you so much. Love this forum, saving lots of time and aggravation of dropping off at dealer to take it all day and not find anything wrong with it.
Just to add, the hydrogen cell vehicles have some really high quality H2O!!
If ever, you could actually drink it, as it is safe for consumption, :beer: believe or not. [/color]

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
thanks...
Here in California- Winter plants- do flower.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It looks like you received a great deal of good information regarding your concern. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in the future. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can only assume and trust the feedback is accurate. I just wish the owners manual was as accurate and clear

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Is this your first car? I think the manual doesn't mention it is because everyone that has been driving for a few years knows about this. I've known about it since my first car back in 1961.

This brings up a good point. The car industry should print up a manual with all this common knowledge, on things we take for granted, to hand out to new car owners.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My 2000 LS1 and my old 2003 VUE had the window buttons on the center console. When I first got the Nox I would keep moving my hands towards the center to open the windows. Had the same problem with opening the rear windows when I wanted the front. Maybe we all can just go back to crank windows ;D

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
People still wouldnt read that supplemental info.
As it is- some people dont read the manual.

Yeah my wife is one of them- to this day- she has not read her 2007 Impalas manual........ :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
rbarrios, I agree 100%

The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle, I read the manual cover to cover. I may not remember all of it, but some stuff sticks with me. After a few months I'll re-read the manual - which I think helps more then the first read.

My wife depends on me to tell here whats what. ;D

My boys also have never read their manuals.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I Agree GARYD...I read my manual all the way through..then look at it from time to time..I also have a downloaded version on my PC..

I do that with most mechanical/electrical items I buy..Its half the fun!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Garyd don't need the attempted insults. Not my first car but first time I've owned one thats leaked "condensation" while living in the southwest with little humidity. My manual told me I would have a Pandora icon yet it's not there. Not much good reading book that isn't accurate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts