GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble or know of anyone that has broken their key off in the ignition? On the G8 board several have had that problem. I haven't- even though I've had trouble getting the key to turn a few times. I was warning my wife against turning her wheel too much when parking to prevent this. Just thought I'd ask. I'm not sure the keys are exactly the same. The fob on the Equinox seems smaller. I'm guessing it also doesn't have to be cut in the country of assembly like my G8.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone breaking their key off in the ignition, but the key design itself is very poor in my opinion. Not only is the actual key part that flips out loose in the housing, but the fob itself seems a lot bigger than it really needs to be..

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
The Equinox is my wife's car...so I don't drive it regularly. What bother's me more than being somewhat fragile IS..that I can't carry her Equinox keyfob in my jean pocket...or her rear hatch door might raise in the driveway or alarm go off when my other keys or leg bumps the buttons when sitting down..or moving around in a chair inside the house.
I noticed that my Solstice key fob is more contoured...and the buttons are 'slightly recessed' where the Equinox buttons are not recessed at all. Why the Equinox 'buttons' weren't designed in a similar way as most other GM (older) fobs is beyond me.... ???

·
Registered
715 Posts
When I first got my Terrain, I had my whole key ring attached to the Tarrain 'fob'. Even when I pressed the button and the 'fob' would swing down, I thought that there was a lot of weight hanging on that metal finger.

SO, I keep the key ring and the Terrain 'fob' separate; no keys attached.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most Chevrolet dealers will include a "key warranty" in your loan for a few extra bucks a month. The wife just bought a Kia and the dealer offered the same thing. How long the warranty lasts depends on what you want to pay. I extended the 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper out to 5yr/60000 and key warranty came with it. I asked for the break down of what each dollar of my total extra $18 per month mas going to and around $2 of it was for the keys. The keys cost around $500 for a new one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
matnwt said:
Most Chevrolet dealers will include a "key warranty" in your loan for a few extra bucks a month. The wife just bought a Kia and the dealer offered the same thing. How long the warranty lasts depends on what you want to pay. I extended the 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper out to 5yr/60000 and key warranty came with it. I asked for the break down of what each dollar of my total extra $18 per month mas going to and around $2 of it was for the keys. The keys cost around $500 for a new one.
I'm curious as to what Kia model would have a $500 key?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Re: Flip key breaking??

The GM flip key like we have is between $65 and $95 depending on how many functions on the keyfob

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
A site that shows up once and a while on this site sells then for $50. Not sure if that incudes cutting the key but you have to program at a GM dealer

·
Registered
18 Posts
I almost started laughing when the salesman said the Kia key was $500. They said something about laser cut and the key transmits a signal to the car. My guess is that he was BSing to upsell something he got commission on. I wanted to make a smart*ss comment, something to the effect of "why in the world would you need a $500 key to start a $21,000 car?" but my wife was giving me the evil glare since I had spent most of the afternoon working this guy down $2000. The Chevrolet salesman told me about my Equinox key that it can get up to around $500, which I can see being true, my key has lock, unlock, panic and remote start.

Funny side note, if the $500 key thing is true, the selling price of the car was $20,995 which would make the key roughly 3% of the car's value. I can think of other ways they could spend $500, but she likes the car and I'm not driving it so it doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kia Sorrento, sorry forgot to add, the mid range model.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
matnwt said:
Kia Sorrento, sorry forgot to add, the mid range model.
Wow, the key is almost half the price of the car ! LOL

·
Registered
715 Posts
I alwasy get a third key.

My 2011 Terrain key was $50.

Talk to the parts guy, not the salesman.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RNOX said:
A site that shows up once and a while on this site sells then for $50. Not sure if that incudes cutting the key but you have to program at a GM dealer
It shows up at the top every time you open this thread. ;) Btw, as far as the programming "procedure"...that site says that a locksmith can do it, so I assume it's something that could be done without any outside help if you know how..

·
Registered
18 Posts
RIT333: I still don't believe the Kia salesman, we got two keys with the Kia and 2 keys with the Equinox. My plan is to just not lose them. The key warranty with the Kia is kind of cool though, we can go in up to two times and get replacement keys and fobs for no money out of pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts