GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filled up with Flex Fuel in my '12 Terrain SLE for the first time last week. Previously I had been getting around 24 MPG with regular 87 octane gas. I found with Flex Fuel I am getting closer to 20 MPG. It's a small sample size for the Flex Fuel so I will have more accurate numbers, but it made me think. What price difference do I need to see in order for Flex Fuel to make financial sense. So I made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmwmgmLeStmIdGJ3blFzSGpFRGN4S2lTUnRoOVlQc2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Look for your regular gas price and trace it up. Anything in Green and you are saving money, blue you break even, and red you lose money. The numbers represent savings in cents per mile.

I'll update as I get better MPG numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
XUOHTX said:
So I filled up with Flex Fuel in my '12 Terrain SLE for the first time last week. Previously I had been getting around 24 MPG with regular 87 octane gas. I found with Flex Fuel I am getting closer to 20 MPG. It's a small sample size for the Flex Fuel so I will have more accurate numbers, but it made me think. What price difference do I need to see in order for Flex Fuel to make financial sense. So I made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmwmgmLeStmIdGJ3blFzSGpFRGN4S2lTUnRoOVlQc2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Look for your regular gas price and trace it up. Anything in Green and you are saving money, blue you break even, and red you lose money. The numbers represent savings in cents per mile.

I'll update as I get better MPG numbers.
you are lucky i have never gotten 24 mpg on any gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
nice job..!

There is another thread on this too...maybe you can post that chart there too, if you havent already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The chart doesn't take into account the additional number of stops and the value of the time and effort taken to use E85. In essence you're assuming that your time is worth $0.00...

According to the avg economy display my AWD I4 is getting 26.4mpg on 87 octane although I've been doing a lot of highway driving recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WarlordSLT said:
The chart doesn't take into account the additional number of stops and the value of the time and effort taken to use E85. In essence you're assuming that your time is worth $0.00...

According to the avg economy display my AWD I4 is getting 26.4mpg on 87 octane although I've been doing a lot of highway driving recently.
Lawyer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
WarlordSLT said:
The chart doesn't take into account the additional number of stops and the value of the time and effort taken to use E85. In essence you're assuming that your time is worth $0.00...

According to the avg economy display my AWD I4 is getting 26.4mpg on 87 octane although I've been doing a lot of highway driving recently.
Yeah, but it also doesn't account for your money going to the Middle East, supporting who knows what !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
RIT333 said:
Yeah, but it also doesn't account for your money going to the Middle East, supporting who knows what !
most of our oil is purchased from Canada or Mexico. Middle East makes up like 10% of imports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
AMG Eric said:
most of our oil is purchased from Canada or Mexico. Middle East makes up like 10% of imports.
Whoa - that is even more reason ! ;D

But, last I checked, we import quite a bit from Saudi - more than from Mexico. :eek:

Until (if ever) the USA achieves Energy Independence, we will continue to be at the mercy of people beyond our control.

:eek:fftopic: :soapbox:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,555 Posts
Eric


I don't see how you could draw that conclusion from that Table. Here are the words stating the ranking of countries from the same source, DOE-EIA.

I would be more than happy to discuss this with you via PMs if you still disagree. I think most of the rest of the Forum is probably not interested.

Some may be surprised to learn that 49% of U.S. crude oil and petroleum products imports came from the Western Hemisphere (North, South, and Central America, and the Caribbean including U.S. territories) during 2010. About 18% of our imports of crude oil and petroleum products come from the Persian Gulf countries of Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Our largest sources of net crude oil and petroleum product imports were Canada and Saudi Arabia.

Top Sources of Net Crude Oil and Petroleum Product Imports:

Canada (25%)
Saudi Arabia (12%)
Nigeria (11%)
Venezuela (10%)
Mexico (9%)


Source :


http://205.254.135.7/energy_in_brief/foreign_oil_dependence.cfm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
And now back to our regularly scheduled topic....

So at ~ $1 difference in price E85 looks good :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
RIT333 said:
Eric


I don't see how you could draw that conclusion from that Table. Here are the words stating the ranking of countries from the same source, DOE-EIA.

I would be more than happy to discuss this with you via PMs if you still disagree. I think most of the rest of the Forum is probably not interested.

Some may be surprised to learn that 49% of U.S. crude oil and petroleum products imports came from the Western Hemisphere (North, South, and Central America, and the Caribbean including U.S. territories) during 2010. About 18% of our imports of crude oil and petroleum products come from the Persian Gulf countries of Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Our largest sources of net crude oil and petroleum product imports were Canada and Saudi Arabia.

Top Sources of Net Crude Oil and Petroleum Product Imports:

Canada (25%)
Saudi Arabia (12%)
Nigeria (11%)
Venezuela (10%)
Mexico (9%)


Source :


http://205.254.135.7/energy_in_brief/foreign_oil_dependence.cfm
Don't forget it's a world wide market. So if someone over there is an ******* it effects te price of way ones out of the ground over here.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top