GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Equinox. I was driving through town when the low tire pressure warning light started flashing and the "Service Tire Monitor System" message was displayed. Everything felt and sounded normal but I pulled over immediately as I was about a minute away from getting on the highway. After a quick visual check of the tires none seemed to be low on nitrogen. Dashes instead of tire pressure values were/are displayed for all 4 wheels.

This happened earlier today at 366 miles and the low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System" message are now on there every time I start the car. I have not yet done the relearn procedure but I will and I expect things to go back to normal. All 4 tires have the dealer fill Nitrogen gas in them and are okay in terms of pressure (I checked them manually with two different pressure gauges).

This is very disappointing and it is hard not to compare this Chevrolet to my 12 year old non-GM vehicle. It is approaching 186,000 miles, has the factory rims/TPMS with all the original sensors, and it still works like it did on day 1. I never had any issues, let alone within 1,000 miles of purchasing it. The Equinox currently has 375 miles on it.

Does anyone want to buy a slightly used 2013 Equinox 2LT with lots of extra accessories?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Just had the same issue. Took it to the dealer after doing a few hit and miss resets myself. They reset the sensors with a handheld device. Hasn't acted up since. He said that the sensors will not always pick up just by air pressure alone. He also said that the sensors are both battery powered and kinetic. Didn't ha the me anything and it took two minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

xoniuqE said:
Does anyone want to buy a slightly used 2013 Equinox 2LT with lots of extra accessories?
What was the 12 year old car, if I may ask ?

And, how much do you want for the '13 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Phantm006 said:
Just had the same issue. Took it to the dealer after doing a few hit and miss resets myself. They reset the sensors with a handheld device. Hasn't acted up since. He said that the sensors will not always pick up just by air pressure alone. He also said that the sensors are both battery powered and kinetic. Didn't ha the me anything and it took two minutes.
That is good to know, thank you. I had to go out and the system reset itself while I was driving. It started by showing the pressure of two of the tires, then the third and a couple of minutes later the fourth, at which point the low tire pressure warning light went off and no more "Service Tire Monitor System" message either.


Rit said:
What was the 12 year old car, if I may ask ?

And, how much do you want for the '13 ?
PM.



In conclusion, for anyone else with this issue and not sure what to do about it, give it at least a couple of days in which you drive the vehicle and it may reset itself. Mine did within a couple of hours of its initial appearance without having to attempt the TPMS reset/relearn procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

guess the canadian versions have a little car and image of a road on the tabs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Hello xoniuqE,

I am sorry to hear that the low tire pressure warning light came on your vehicle while driving. I can definitely understand how your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience. We certainly do not want your ownership experience to be negative. I see that your vehicle reset itself in which I hope everything is operating normal now. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to send us a private message for assistance.

Regards,

Laura M.
GM Customer Care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Did I read this correctly? They factory fill the tires on Equinox's with nitrogen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Vettmann17 said:
Did I read this correctly? They factory fill the tires on Equinox's with nitrogen?
I think the dealer prob did- as a sales point.---- and added a green cap--- or has dealer add on rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

rbarrios said:
I think the dealer prob did- as a sales point.---- and added a green cap--- or has dealer add on rims.
I'd be suspicious if I saw the detailer with some green paint splattered on his clothes ! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

rbarrios said:
guess the canadian versions have a little car and image of a road on the tabs...
Yep.


GM Customer Svc said:
Hello xoniuqE,

I am sorry to hear that the low tire pressure warning light came on your vehicle while driving. I can definitely understand how your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience. We certainly do not want your ownership experience to be negative. I see that your vehicle reset itself in which I hope everything is operating normal now. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to send us a private message for assistance.

Regards,

Laura M.
GM Customer Care
Thank you for posting. I will PM if necessary.


Vettmann17 said:
Did I read this correctly? They factory fill the tires on Equinox's with nitrogen?
rbarrios said:
I think the dealer prob did- as a sales point.---- and added a green cap--- or has dealer add on rims.
I will modify that so I don't confuse anyone else. I should have said dealer fill. Indeed, it was the dealer that emptied the air, put Nitrogen in the tires and replaced the standard caps with the silver/green "N" ones, not the factory.

Thank you for clarifying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Rit said:
I'd be suspicious if I saw the detailer with some green paint splattered on his clothes ! LOL
Ha! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

xoniuqE said:
Indeed, it was the dealer that emptied the air, put Nitrogen in the tires and replaced the standard caps with the silver/green "N" ones, not the factory.
Just curious - does anyone know what %age of Nitrogen you actually end up after the dealer "empties the air". I was thinking that it was very little, but as I am typing, I am thinking that it may be related to the startig pressure, 0 PSI, to the ending pressure, 35 PSI, so maybe it is a very high %age of Nitrogen at the end. Does this make sense ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

I think I know what youre saying.
when the tire is loose on the rim- it has 100% 'air'
they start to fill-- and when the tire catches/bead sets.... and begins to fill with Nitrogen... How much of that original 'air' was displaced...

But- 'air' is already 78% Nitrogen....

so- very little 'air' is left I think....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

I have not witnessed this but there is a machine attached to the Nitrogen tank (probably similar to the one for the air conditioning system), that first lets the air out of the tire. It may even create some vacuum to get as much of the air and moisture out as possible (not certain of this, just assuming, otherwise it wouldn't really be doing much compared to just manually letting the air escape) and then starts putting the Nitrogen in until the desired pressure has been reached.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Re: Flashing low tire pressure warning light and "Service Tire Monitor System".

Hello xoniuqE,

I am sorry to hear that the low tire pressure warning light came on your vehicle while driving. I can definitely understand how your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience. We certainly do not want your ownership experience to be negative. I see that your vehicle reset itself in which I hope everything is operating normal now. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to send us a private message for assistance.

Regards,

Laura M.
GM Customer Care
Yes I just got a 2010 Chevy equinox and its acting real werid haven't even had ot for 2days. I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
The benefit of a nitrogen fill is not the fact that it is 100% nitrogen instead of 78% it is the fact that it is perfectly dry. Most garage pumps have poor air dryers if any and just pump a lot of water in your tires. The nitrogen tanks are almost 0% humidity.

I used to use my SCUBA tank to fill my tires... it is air but it is certified completely dry.

Still the only reason to use dry air is so the pressure does not change as much when the tires heat up. Not really important unless you are a professional racer.
 

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
Yes I just got a 2010 Chevy equinox and its acting real werid haven't even had ot for 2days. I
How many miles on it? Tires had to have been changed on it at least once since factory-new. Maybe the new tires were slapped on without replacing the tire pressure monitoring sensors, and now those original factory sensors’ batteries are starting to fail?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top