GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message was posted by a user over in the forums at Edmunds.com:

"Wanted to post a follow-up message to my original post. I have taken my wife's 2011 AWD V6 Terrain back to the dealership twice for low city MPG. The dealership told me that the vehicle checked out both times & that they could not find any problems. I received a call from GM Customer Service rep 04/21/11. She said GM is aware that there are fuel economy issues with some Terrains. She also told me that GM engineering has solved the problem with 4-cyl engines and they are being fixed, but engineering is still working on the V6 solution. She said that our concern is not the only V6 owner concern & that CS has made our dealership aware of all this. CS says the dealership is on alert that a fix will soon be coming and the dealership would contact me immediately once they receive notice. "

Does anyone have any further info on this?

·
Registered
338 Posts
They may be referring to this bulletin. But this isn't solving poor fuel economy, it is fixing the DIC to display the correct fuel economy on the 4 clyinder Terrains.

#PI0370: Vehicle DIC Displays Lower Than Actual Fuel Economy (Reprogram ECM/TCM) - (Feb 11, 2011)

Subject: Vehicle DIC Displays Lower Than Actual Fuel Economy (Reprogram ECM/TCM)

Models:
2011 Chevrolet Equinox
2011 GMC Terrain

Equipped with 2.4L Engine (RPO LAF)

Built Prior to November 3, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that the DIC display of fuel economy is lower than what is calculated. The displayed economy could be 1 to 3 MPG (0.4 to 1.3 km/L) less than how the vehicle is actually performing. In metric mode, the DIC displays fuel consumption in L/100 km and could indicate a value higher than actually performing.

There may be an error in the information used by the engine control module (ECM) to calculate the fuel economy.

Recommendation/Instructions
A revised calibration has been developed to address this concern. Update the engine control module (ECM/TCM) using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm - that doesn't sound like the same thing since this guy has a V6 Terrain and was told that they are working on a fix for poor fuel economy on the V6. If you find out any further information, please let me know because I have a V6 as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will be following this thread closely. I'm a little over 2000 miles and am somewhat surprised that my 4 cylinder is still averaging around 18 or 19 mpg (which is actually lower than the fuel economy range for the 4 cylinder).

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
They may be referring to this bulletin. But this isn't solving poor fuel economy, it is fixing the DIC to display the correct fuel economy on the 4 clyinder Terrains.
Is there a similar "fix" that applies to 2010 Equinox/Terrain that seem to display higher than calculated MPG ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are no bulletins on a 2010, but there may be an update. The dealer would have to plug you VIN into GDS and see what updates are available, which is what they would/should do if you took it in with that complaint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I read a post by grometsc from a while ago that GM was working on a fix for this as well. Wish I could find the thread

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
bigmaestro said:
Will be following this thread closely. I'm a little over 2000 miles and am somewhat surprised that my 4 cylinder is still averaging around 18 or 19 mpg (which is actually lower than the fuel economy range for the 4 cylinder).
Keep an eye on your oil level. Mine was the same way. Turned out the HP fuel pump was leaking fuel into the crankcase. So far so good with the new pump.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have not heard of a fix or bulletin regarding better fuel economy for the Terrain. I am going to look into this further and if there is anything that I come across, I will go ahead and let everyone know. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Tuning from GM or aftermarket? The link you posted, is 3 months old, so how soon is soon?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he either owns or works for an aftermarket tuning outfit. If you could really get better mpg AND power simply from retuning the ECU...don't you think GM engineers would have been on top of this long ago? ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My DIC says I average between 18 and 22 mpg......not even close. I have been calculating my mpg for many years on all my vehicles and have been doing it on the Terrain since I bought it in March 2010. I have averaged no more then 15.6 mpg from the beginning. I thought the V6 AWD was suppost to get an average of 18mpg.
I think Corvettes get better milage.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm getting 24.3 mpg going 70 mph on the highway. My DIC is roughly the same. Good enough for government work. I see the mpg increase significantly going 45 mph with 38 psi all around.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
99.9% of my driving is suburban driving. Very seldom go on any highway. I also have a heavy foot, but I've always had it. Every 6 cly. car I've owned I got at least 18 mpg. Even my old Vettes got a little bit better milage.
I don't know what kind of milage I'd get on the highway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts