GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Pioneer system in my '15 V6 Equinox just isn't doing anything for me...I came from a Vue w/pair of Eclipse 10" subs, Orion amps, and MB Quart mids/highs. I ordered a stock sub box off eBay and now I plan to try to stuff one of the 10's from my last system in it and then give it some serious power, and swap over all of my MB Quart mids/highs too.

I may just have to cut the whole face of the stock enclosure off and replace it with 5/8 or 3/4 board to mount the sub to, but I'm just starting to think on how to do it, which is why I'm posting. If you've already stuffed a 10" sub in the stock enclosure, any tips and/or pics? I know JL Audio has a stealthbox for our cars, but they're running $450-$550 online.

I'm picky about details, so even though it won't be visible, I still plan to carpet the enclosure after its modified so it'll still look good!

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Fitting 10" Sub In Stock Sub Enclosure...Any Tips?

Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Fitting 10" Sub In Stock Sub Enclosure...Any Tips?

Just spent the past 1 1/2 hours just cutting open the face of the stock enclosure! LOTS of ribs to cut through! Ended up just using a dremel to cut everything up. Then I test fitted to make sure I've got enough depth still for the 10" Eclipse sub. So far, so good. This is going to be a long project. Considering a new JL stealth box is $550,I think it's worth the time and effort!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here a couple of shots of today's progress... I know it's not looking like much, but keep in mind I plan to carpet the enclosure when it's complete. Also, after some online research, I can confirm that the stock enclosure is .5 cu. ft., so my sub is designed to work in small enclosures (I've got one in my Z28 in a .6 cu. ft. Stealthbox), so it should still sound good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Camaro69car said:
I'm anxious to see how you tie that into the stock wiring.
Since I've got the V6, no ANC to worry about, so that'll be the easy part. Here's my plan: Since I bought a used stock enclosure off eBay, I also got the stock plug for the sub to plug into the harness. The Alpine amp I bought accepts line level inputs AND senses when they've got signal to turn the amp on. The stock sub is a DVC sub, so I've got 2 positives and 2 negatives for the sub. I'll connect those to my amp's speaker level input harness. Once I run power from the battery to the amp, I should be good to go.

It's running another Alpine amp for the front components that I'm still not sure about, but I'll deal with that after I'm done with the sub project.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looking like a really awesome project, and something I'd really like to do for my Terrain. I actually have two subwoofers back there - I left the stock one in place and added a Kicker BassStation. Not too fond of this because it takes up precious cargo room. Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made a little more progress after work this evening... The sub fits! It's tight, but the edge of the sub meets the edge of the box, but doesn't go over and there's just enough room to screw it down without splitting the wood... I hope :)

Still need to add more silicone and carpet it, but it's looking like everything should fit as planned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished the enclosure part of it tonight! I added polyfill, then carpeted the front half of the enclosure. Installed the Eclipse 8710.4 10" sub and then I hooked it up in my Z28 to my old school Orion amp to make sure everything sounds good. It does!

Next up is getting it actually installed in my Equinox to a new Alpine digital amp...

It's really not too hard to do... I've probably got 3-4 hours in it, and not very much in materials...

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice job of finishing! I know it may be a little late, but did you check what sort of cubic volume of enclosure is required by the driver you're using?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pieter said:
Nice job of finishing! I know it may be a little late, but did you check what sort of cubic volume of enclosure is required by the driver you're using?
My Eclipse 8710.4 sub is designed for small enclosures with as little as .5 cu. ft. The stock enclosure is .5 cu. ft., but I realize that doesn't account for the displacement of the sub, so the stock enclosure is just a tad smaller than ideal. I put polyfill in it to try to help out. I did hook it up into my Camaro's system to test it out at 260 watts rms and it still sounded good.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Perhaps more importantly - you didn't lose any cargo room. Wow, great work. I might step down to an 8 inch sub for less dremel work needed. And with the small enclosure, probably sounds nearly as good as the 10 inch?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chas said:
Perhaps more importantly - you didn't lose any cargo room. Wow, great work. I might step down to an 8 inch sub for less dremel work needed. And with the small enclosure, probably sounds nearly as good as the 10 inch?
8" subs just can't move enough air IMO... If you're going to pull out the dremel, go with the 10" sub.. I didn't check the dimensions to see if it would fit, but the only 8" sub I would consider is one of the square Kicker Solo-Baric subs. They're supposed to have the same cone area as a 10" round sub. I did briefly consider a JL Audio 8w1 sub to just replace the stock sub, but I knew in the end, a 10 was the least I would be happy with.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went out to do a little looking around on where to mount the amp... At the moment, I'm stumped. I thought it would be an easy fit behind the driver's side trim panel in the trunk...not going to be an easy fit...part of the problem is the storage bins on both sides of the trunk trim panels...they take up a lot of room behind the panel. I may have to come up with a block off panel on one side to make room, but I'm going to look around a bit more to see what I can come up with...

It's just not going to be as easy as I had hoped...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there any chance that we might get some pictures on how everything is wired back there. I might be interested in doing a similar project. just worried about wiring it all up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Camaro69car said:
Is there any chance that we might get some pictures on how everything is wired back there. I might be interested in doing a similar project. just worried about wiring it all up.
Sure! Once I figure out where to mount the amp, I'll take pics and also post up how everything's wired up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Attaching pics of the amp I plan to use and the stock subs wiring harness. Since the stock sub is 2.5 ohm DVC, it's got a pair of positive and negative wires. I'll just splice those into my amp's speaker level input harness, and plug it into the stick sub harness to get the signal. I've just about completely cannabilized the stock enclosure I got off ebay now... The only thing I have left is the actual sub itself...

Still gotta find room to mount the Alpine amp...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts