GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was the first morning I drove my Terrain in winter/snow/icy conditions. I nearly spun out, backing out of my driveway. Had maybe 3 inches of snow overnight. My old Escape would have driven down the driveway like nothin'. I wasn't going fast but go to a point where I could tell that if I kept driving backwards, I'd have started to spin (terrible traction), so I had to go forward and drive out the side of my driveway. So much for AWD.

My Terrain came with new Michelin Lattitude Tour (supposedly All Season) tires, which I did think were crap compared to the great "all weather" Nokian tires I had on my Escape. The Michelin's didn't strike me, judging by the tread design, to be good in snow. I argued with the salesman about it, in fact, telling him that part of the deal to buy I wanted them to replace the tires with something comparable to my Nokians. He told me they couldn't do that. Had the Nokians on my Escape (traded it in) been the same size, I'd have seriously had them do a swap (even if NOkians were nearing 2 years old). I have an order in for the Nokians but it could be weeks before they come in (on back order).

It was a white-knuckle drive on the highway into work. I felt I had really lousy control on the icy/snow-covered highway. Like night and day compared to my Escape. I remembered the "traction control" thingmabob and I turned it on for the drive home. It was a super slow drive so not terribly sure if it made a big difference (I did see it come on twice; the little light shows up on the dash when it's engaged)

All I can say is that driving the Terrain was nothing like driving my Escape. I rarely put my Escape into 4WD, and even when it wasn't, winter driving was a breeze and I always felt secure and like I had good control. I surely didn't feel that way today in my Terrain. How does a person even know when AWD is working? (if it needs to)

Does the Traction Control feature really make a difference with wheel spin or is it more just kind of a gimmick?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I read your entire post thinking that your winter driving experience was totally different than mine...and then at the end I saw you had stabilitrac off for most of the drive. ;) We got nearly 3 inches of snow the week I picked up my Nox, and I marvelled at how much better it was than the Mazda 6 that I drove previously. "traction control" (not the same as stabilitrac) limits one wheel spinning faster than the other, but doesn't really help when both wheels lose traction equally....you shouldn't have had a problem with AWD though. ???

·
Registered
170 Posts
Alberta_girl:
My experience was totally the opposite, I'm impressed the grip that those OEM tires have with 3" of snow. (I have to say I have the OEM Hankook 19")
Up until 2 months ago I had an escape and by no means was any better. No stability control, just ABS.
Winter tires make a huge difference on any vehicle, don't bash the Terrain, if its too bad consider winter tires. crappy tire have the 17" Nordic for $147.49, not bad at all!

I see you're really unhappy with your Terrain, seriously get the Escape that you miss or the Xterra that you mentioned, life is too short.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Alberta_Girl said:
This morning was the first morning I drove my Terrain in winter/snow/icy conditions.
I really don't care what car you own, but let me point one thing out. I have found that normally, the 1st snowfall of the season tends to be the worst one to drive in. The pavement tends to be a bit "warm" when the snow hits it, and it will form an ice layer on the road, and the snow on top of it will tend to be slippery as whale-snot. Granted, snow tires WILL made a huge improvement over the stock Michelin Latitude "All Seasons", but a second test may be worthwhile. Also, using the "traction control thingmabob" may also help thing out immensely. GM spent a lot of money putting that thingmabob there, so it would be wise to utilize it.

Good luck - and as others have said - if after giving the car a fair shake, it still makes you unhappy - then trade it in - life is too short to be unhappy over a silly car.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had Nokian All Weather tires (not winter tires) on my Aztek...3 sets. They have got to be the BEST winter/snow tire in the world. I'm not exaggerating. I'm going to see if they have them in the size I need ---19". The Aztek was FWD and I had no problems driving in snow uphill. Can't wait to see how all wheel drive is in the snow, another first for me. ;D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe some winter tires would help you???

All I can say is my AWD Terrain was absolutely unstoppable last winter. Never came close even once to spinning out.

Took all the fun out of winter driving...

·
Registered
85 Posts
RIT333 said:
. Also, using the "traction control thingmabob" may also help thing out immensely. GM spent a lot of money putting that thingmabob there, so it would be wise to utilize it.

Good luck - and as others have said - if after giving the car a fair shake, it still makes you unhappy - then trade it in - life is too short to be unhappy over a silly car.
Could you clarify ,"traction control thingmabob"- is that the button below the Auto shift console?
I thought that was default 'On', & you hit it to take out Traction Control??
Thanks
LW4T

·
Registered
119 Posts
Terrain said:
Maybe some winter tires would help you???

All I can say is my AWD Terrain was absolutely unstoppable last winter. Never came close even once to spinning out.

Took all the fun out of winter driving...
I agree with this..

Last winter we had it pretty rough in NJ (compared to our normal winter) I got my Terrain (AWD) the afternoon of Feb 9th. That night we had about 18 inches of snow, and boy was I impressed with it and glad I wasn't driving my old Maxima!! I didn't get stuck any where, and I did a nice amount of driving as I needed to get to work the next morning (65 miles away)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree with "Taking all the fun out of driving". ;D

I use to belong to the Chicago Saab Club back in the early 70's. We use to go ice racing out on some local lakes. Boy can you learn how to drive on slippery surfaces doin g that. It was a ball to race on ice and not worry about damaging your car. Each car did the coarse alone in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
698 Posts
GARYD said:
Each car did the course alone in case you were wondering.
Awwww that's no fun ;D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Longwait4Train said:
Could you clarify ,"traction control thingmabob"- is that the button below the Auto shift console?
I thought that was default 'On', & you hit it to take out Traction Control??
Thanks
LW4T
Traction control is always active, the button below the shift lever is for stabilitrac which is complicated system which makes it tough to spin the rear around going around a slick corner too fast. I read a review of the 2010 Equinox and the reviewer stated that when turned on it worked so well that they couldn't get the rear end to step out on the skidpad test track...no matter what they tried.

·
Registered
698 Posts
NoobNox said:
Traction control is always active, the button below the shift lever is for stabilitrac which is complicated system which makes it tough to spin the rear around going around a slick corner too fast.
No, I don't think you're right on this. If you press once it will disable traction control and the TRAC OFF message will appear. If you press and hold it will then disable the stabilitrak system.

Traction control is not always active.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Traction control is ALWAYS on. It might not be always active because its only active when it detects wheel spin but it is on unless you turn it off when you start the car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Traction control is ALWAYS on. It might not be always active because its only active when it detects wheel spin but it is on unless you turn it off when you start the car.
OK. Let's meet in the middle. It's ALWAYS on UNLESS you hit the button.

LW4T suggested it could not be defeated - which it indeed can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the best setting for commuting (high speeds) on icy or snow covered Interstate highway? Is the best setting for that different than it should be for icy or snow covered suburban street driving?

·
Registered
441 Posts
interstates shouldnt be snow covered or icy....if they are, stick with 3rd or 4th and drive cautiously.....

·
Registered
635 Posts
WI-Terrain said:
What is the best setting for commuting (high speeds) on icy or snow covered Interstate highway? Is the best setting for that different than it should be for icy or snow covered suburban street driving?
Leave traction control on. It only works when it is needed.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Best advice is slow down your speed and no texting.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts