GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was not a good day for me or my car! My wife and I had been shopping and we had finishing unloading the back of my (Cardinal Red) car. Upon entering the house I pushed the button to close the garage door, and did a quick glance to the garage door and realized the hatch on my car wasn't closed. I quickly pressed the button to reverse the garage door, but the damage was done. The garage door had pushed the hatch going down and when it reversed it scrapped the hatch. I now have a dent and scrape on a car that has only 3500 miles..... :banghead:

I tried to remain calm,( :angryfire:) as my wife came out and tried to assure me that damage wasn't that bad. She even offered to switch her Equinox with me(What a great wife!). :thumb:

I went to the dealership this afternoon, and was told the repairs would be around $350 and shouldn't take more than a day.

My concern is the paint being an exact match. Has anyone with Cardinal Red or Merlot Red had body work done, and can you tell a difference in the paint?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Your Nox is really new and garaged which means virtually no paint fading as of yet...if they do the repairs right you shouldn't be able to tell anything happened.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As NoobNox stated, there shouldn't be any problems with fading, but I wouldn't just automatically take it to the dealership unless I knew their body shop was one of the best. I wouldn't take my vehicle to our local Chevy dealer if they were the only place in town. I had some hood damage on a new Chevy a few years back and it took them four tries to match the paint. Any body work I have done now I take to a local independent shop that has a reputation as being the best in the area.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
There are so many variables when getting a car painted, such as which painter is doing the work, and is he/she in a good mood. I cringe, just thinking about getting a car painted. I guess I am impressed with "factory paint" and can't always find shops that can replicate it. my $0.02

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Whoever does the work, just make sure they use the same OEM paint/clearcoat the factory uses. No substitutes that are supposedly "better".

·
Registered
977 Posts
2011LTZ said:
Today was not a good day for me or my car! My wife and I had been shopping and we had finishing unloading the back of my (Cardinal Red) car. Upon entering the house I pushed the button to close the garage door, and did a quick glance to the garage door and realized the hatch on my car wasn't closed. I quickly pressed the button to reverse the garage door, but the damage was done. The garage door had pushed the hatch going down and when it reversed it scrapped the hatch. I now have a dent and scrape on a car that has only 3500 miles..... :banghead:

I tried to remain calm,( :angryfire:) as my wife came out and tried to assure me that damage wasn't that bad. She even offered to switch her Equinox with me(What a great wife!). :thumb:

I went to the dealership this afternoon, and was told the repairs would be around $350 and shouldn't take more than a day.

My concern is the paint being an exact match. Has anyone with Cardinal Red or Merlot Red had body work done, and can you tell a difference in the paint?

Thanks in advance!
Should take more than a day if they fix, repaint and clearcoat. A week after I picked up my Nox I noticed about a 6 inch long by 1 inch wide rubb in the paint on the top of the rear spoiler. After 45 minutes of BS the dealer agreed to fix it. They took the piece off (It's really behind the spoiler) and repainted a clear coated. Had to leave for 2 nights. The paint match is perfect. They have their own shop. Many dealers farm out body shop work.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Id like to see pic of the scratch and dent.

I would consider the paintless dent repair... and possibly touch up paint- and live with the scratch- partially hidden by the touch up paint.
vs repainting the entire hatch and having the paints not match..... (especially if its a metallic.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fear not, it could be worse. My wife has owned her Nox for four months now. We went on a road trip and were driving through Arkansas last Thursday when we got caught in a nice hail storm. The car is at the dealer now being repaired. I counted 29 dents on the hood, roof and side. We were amazed, as was the body shop guy, that none of the windows cracked. Even the sunroof made out ok. Most of the dents can be popped out, but some can't and body work is actually being done to them.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
jmlock... your story is almost like the Gal on the Acadia forum.
She ordered a White Diamond Tricoat Acadia Denali. Was very happily posting on its order/ progression... how she was going to break it in etc.
So she gets it- few days later- she drives to some part of the Midwest- and is welcomes by a Hail storm-
Well that new Denali- has big dents all over the place. Lots of them.
Paintless dent repair in some places-- but other places will require work-
I believe its also being repainted.... :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I brought my Nox in to get fixed I saw a brand new Terrain with the hood pulled and damaged and the winsheild smashed. The body shop said it happened when it got off the trailer and that it would be fixed (New hood and paint) and winsheild and sold as new (Still had sticker on it). He said they fix about 10 vehilces a month due to trailer and lot damage. So you never know what you are getting

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rbarrios said:
Id like to see pic of the scratch and dent.

I would consider the paintless dent repair... and possibly touch up paint- and live with the scratch- partially hidden by the touch up paint.
vs repainting the entire hatch and having the paints not match..... (especially if its a metallic.)
I've gotten three estimates and I'm being told that if they try and pull the dent out the paint will crack. The estimates I've gotten is $350 - $472, and they all are stating a two day repair. Good news is I did contact my insurance company and was told that this will fall under comprehensive which has 0 deductible.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got reended 2 winters ago in my Cardinal Red Nox. The dude put a hole in the rear bumper and some scuffs. I got it repaired at a Ford dealer body shop and you can not even tell there was any damage at all, paint matches perfect.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
2011LTZ said:
I've gotten three estimates and I'm being told that if they try and pull the dent out the paint will crack. The estimates I've gotten is $350 - $472, and they all are stating a two day repair. Good news is I did contact my insurance company and was told that this will fall under comprehensive which has 0 deductible.
I feel that if the paint did not crack when the dent was made, then it shouldn't crack when the dent wizzard removes the dent - just my feelings, I am NOT a dent-removal wizzard - just a dent-creation wizzard. Although, I have watched them in action, and it amazes me what they can do - and how easy the make it look !

When the metal is creased or stretched, they have problems, but normal dents seem to be easy for them to remove - such as hail damage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RIT333 said:
I feel that if the paint did not crack when the dent was made, then it shouldn't crack when the dent wizzard removes the dent - just my feelings, I am NOT a dent-removal wizzard - just a dent-creation wizzard. Although, I have watched them in action, and it amazes me what they can do - and how easy the make it look !

When the metal is creased or stretched, they have problems, but normal dents seem to be easy for them to remove - such as hail damage.
Paint less dent repair (PDR) is an art form all in itself. I manage a collision shop so I see it done on a regular basis. Some times there's dents you would swear a paintless dent guy could get out and they can't. Other times you'll see damage you would swear they would never be able to get out and they do. It has a lot to do with access and the type of damage being worked on. Like you said, the less creasing and stretching of the metal is the best canidate for PDR. When they PDR a dent they actually have to push the metal past the metal around the damage so when they let off pressure the metal is even with the other metal around it. That's usually when they crack the paint.

And don't ever let a PDR guy drill any holes in your car for access.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had PDR done to a small dent on my Terrain's front fender about the size of a twoonie. He was able to access the area from the engine compartment and it only took about half an hour. If I look really hard in the spot I can see where he 'kneaded' (maybe massage is a better word) the metal... it's not completely factory-perfect (I can see it in certain light conditions) but to anyone who doesn't know there was a dent there it wouldn't be visible.

My Terrain came with the dent... it was a no-charge dealer-installed option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
pawjr74 said:
And don't ever let a PDR guy drill any holes in your car for access.
That is what they wanted to do with my wife's car, but the body shop told them 'no'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts