GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with 286 miles and owning the LTZ for a little over a week I had an issue.

Started it up in the parking lot at the DMV and the DIC showed Service StabiliTrak along with an icon illuminated in the tach.

I tried turning it off and restarting to see if it was a glitch in the software but after multiple restarts it didn't go away. Anyhow, wife is taking to the dealer in the morning (they gave us an appointment first thing when they open). I doubt its anything serious. I'm guessing a sensor came unplugged. I'll report back tomorrow on what the issue was in case anyone else gets the same message.

PS I did find out that by pushing the menu button it would clear the Service StabiliTrak message and put back the digital speedometer (which is what I normally have showing) but on every restart the message would return.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to my wife who was still at the dealer and they told her it was a faulty sensor in the steering wheel. Naturally they don't have one in stock so we get a rental car until they get it fixed. They said it would be ready tomorrow.

So that sucks but at least it isn't something major.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Sounds like a bizarre explanation to me .

·
Registered
482 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sounds like a bizarre explanation to me .
I thought so also when I first saw it, but doesn't StabilaTrak use input from steering as well as other stuff?

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
I thought so also when I first saw it, but doesn't StabilaTrak use input from steering as well as other stuff?
I guess so. Maybe it is not BS !

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
I don't think it actively takes control of steering, but it does read the front wheel angle to determine which wheels need the auto braking and how much..

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
NoobNox said:
I don't think it actively takes control of steering, but it does read the front wheel angle to determine which wheels need the auto braking and how much..
That makes a lot of sense !

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't quite get it when she told me over the phone either. But you guys are right there is a sensor that calculates steering angle that went bad. I don't know if it is actually in the steering wheel or is located somewhere in the steering column but that's what they are replacing.

I'll see how that goes. LOL

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the Equinox back from the dealer today. They replaced the faulty sensor and all is well again. They checked for service bulletins to see if it was a known issue but didn't find any. Guess is was just "one of those things" that happen. Especially with all the electronics on today's vehicles.

At least I got a free wash. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts