GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

First Problem - Noisy Fuel Pump

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KANWAR 
G
#1 ·
Ok, I now have just over 5000km on my 2011 nox and think I have a problem. My fuel pump is sounding noisy, just noticed it today.
It's a loud hum...almost like when you're at a stop light and you can hear a loud hum coming from a larger delivery truck that's a few cars ahead.

I know it's the fuel pump because it's the sound that comes on when you turn the key to the first position and the fuel line pressurises. So when the engine is turned over it's that sound that continues while the engine is running and you're driving. You also hear this sound coming from the back of the vehicle...where the fuel tank is.

I'm very particular about having and enjoying the quitness of the cabin which the nox/terrain excells at compared to other vehicles that's why I picked this out right away. Anyone else notice a noisy fuel pump or here of any problems with this part?

#2 ·
Its like that on every car. Do you have a higher HP car? They are in even louder. Take it in if you think its too loud and they will check it but I doubt anything is out of the ordinary honestly.

If you notice that it IS getting louder over time, it could possibly be failing but most of the time shops wont repair something that "might" fail unless they can prove it WILL fail.

#3 ·
I would compare it with other cars on the dealer's lot, and make an argument if they are quieter. My fuel pump does not make ANY noise, or else I am deaf !

G
#4 ·
bballr4567 said:
Its like that on every car. Do you have a higher HP car? They are in even louder. Take it in if you think its too loud and they will check it but I doubt anything is out of the ordinary honestly.
Oh, it was humming louder than what is normal. My hearing is bad (And medically...I have prescriptions for hearing aids...that I don't wear), so if even I'm noticing an annoying humming then it's not normal.

But, funny thing is it went away. All day today in and out of my sales calls it was humming, got home and parked the car for a few hours, then went out a couple hours ago to the gym for a squash game and it's gone now...quite as should be. I'll have to keep a close eye...or should I say ear...on it. It just went down below 0deg C today so could maybe a piece of ice in the line or something got caught in there and caused this.

#5 ·
one thing it could have been is you had some 'dirty' gas in the tank. it is possible for the pump to gather debris in the pick up line. The debris may have dislodged when you brought it home and is sitting at the bottom of your tank again. Because of the debris, your pump would have had to work 'harder' hence the louder noise. Just a possibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.