GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this Equinox from a reputable dealer on a trade for a problem-prone 2012 VW Tiguan. Haven't even put 3 months/3,000 miles on it, so I figured no big deal...they'll fix it. Nope. It only has 58,000 after I put on a 1,000 or so but it's long out of any factory warranty, and it passes inspection and is not technically powertrain". They gave me a "discounted" quote of around $450 + tax to replace the entire shifter mechanism. I thought it sounded extreme at the moment, but the part alone is $166 from GM Parts Direct, and I haven't been able to find a "how to" as of yet. So, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of having them do it, and me, in the process. :p

While not totally relevant, I did replace the shifter mechanism in our recently sold 2006 VW New Beetle, which was a pita in itself. I'm not all thumbs, but I also don't want to start tearing apart the interior without having a handle on what's involved. I did purchase a PDF service manual from an ebay seller, but it's not as detailed as I would have liked.

So, to sum up...we sold a VW Beetle to buy a Buick Encore and traded a ticking time bomb of a VW Tiguan to purchase this Equinox. Glad to come back to GM, sort of. ;)

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Myself, I wouldn't pay $50 to get the manual shift mode operating. I not sure what you expect it to do, but it only allows you to choose the highest gear to operate up to. Not anything fancy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, thanks...I appreciate your honest reply. I think the shifter will work just fine for limiting downhill speed on snow covered roads. I'll just keep looking for a thorough "how-to" and try a diy fix, once when the weather gets warm again.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are wanting to be able to manually shift into a certain gear, and have the vehicle stay in that gear, the system does not work that way. If you select 4th, for example, the transmission will shift up to fourth, but will still shift between 1-4 automatically. The manual mode in the Equinox defines a range of gears for use by the vehicle, but does not allow the driver to shift in to one specific gear and hold it there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to be able to manually shift through gears, but understand now that's not what Chevy was aiming for. We actually went to the dealership that day to look at a Nissan Rogue. But when we pulled in, my wife turned to me and had the same disappointed look on her face. Then we got out and saw this 2010 Equinox parked two spots over and asked if it was still available. So, I didn't really research this car beforehand. I just knew our Tiguan was ready to give up the ghost, and we needed a vehicle. I really like it and notice a lot on the roads in our area, now that we own one too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had my AWD Equinox for almost 6 years now, and have literally never used manual mode even in moderate to heavy snow. Overall, it handles snow great.

My parents have a 4WD Toyota Highlander that will be 8 years old this year and they have also never used the manual shift mode (which works similar to the Equinox...it sets shift ranges as opposed to being able to manually select specific gears.) When it snows, they have a "Snow" button that starts the transmission in 2nd gear. They have used that, but never the manual shift function.

I used the manual shift mode in my previous car all the time in the snow, however it was a "traditional" manual mode where you could upshift and downshift through the gears individually and it would hold gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Arcee, our old Tiguan allowed shifting through the gears...which I took for granted apparently. But, after reading your and RIT333's replies I don't think I'm missing out on anything special. I just can't justify spending close to $500 to fix an inadequate manual shift system. I am likely to spend some money on a transmission fluid service when I visit the dealer for my first free oil change. I was also considering a valve cleaning, but after reading about the possibility of scoring cylinder walls with carbon deposits...I think top tier fuel and maybe some Marvel Mystery Oil or Techron in the gas tank every so often.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don't bother with the Marvels Mystery Oil... its a low quality injector cleaner that will leave deposits in the combustion chamber if even a slight amount is added like the bottle says 8 oz. for 20 gallons That needs to be measured and even then it will leave pink residue on the plugs and just add to the carbon deposits in the motor like 74% mineral oil.... same thing conventional oil is made from... MAKE a car burn oil... hmm not good also it has tricresyl phosphate like a main ingredient in like lacquer tell me that's not going to stick to the valves.... yea okay and they recommend that stuff in anything like oh yea add it to your transmission or differentials ummm I wish people wouldnt do these things... techron is the best though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts