GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I do my 1st change early like at 1000 miles and that's probably totally overkill. None the less it's what I have always done with all my new motors or rebuilds. JMHO nothing scientific to back up what I do other than many years of reliable service from all of my engines, car, motorcycle & other

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 to what Crankme said. You might find the dealer unwilling to do the first change so early.

Tom

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
Dealer is not going to change oil until it's at least below 20% oil life.
It's just regular oil in it, not a special break in oil like the old days.
I've had no issues with new engines putting a few thousand miles on them with factory oil in them.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
333 Posts
My dealer said I could do the two free complimentary oil changes that come with the car whenever I liked, no minimum mileage requirement. Perhaps not all dealers are the same on this?

Now for the Enhanced Maintenance package, they say I can come in for oil changes between 8,000 to 12,000km (5,000 miles to @7,500 miles). I am in there right at 8.000km and my oil life is around 30 to 35 percent.

I asked my dealer about 1st oil change and they said same as above, there is no break in oil or quick change requirement, but they appeased me and did it @ 1,000km.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had mine first changed around 2000 miles, second is scheduled for around 5000, next will be 10000 and every next 5000-mile interval. The oil life monitor is there to make it through the warranty, not maximizing engine life (oil life monitor usually allows 7500-8000 miles, far too long IMO.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never go beyond 6000 miles on direct injection engines even with synthetic oil. The fuel dilutes the oil since it's sprayed at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber and can get past the piston seals. It's especially worse in winter time with short distance driving. Don't trust the dealer or that maintenence light that says you've got so many % left on that oil. They want you to be a sheep so your engine won't last as long and buy another new vehicle in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts