GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i changed my oil for the first time yesterday in my 2.4L 2010 Equinox. I have 3,415 on it when i changed the oil and I noitced that there seemed to be a lot of sludge in the oil should i be concerned??? or is this normal? I am considering changing the oil in about 1,000 miles to see if there is a lot of sludge at 4,415?

Any feed back would be great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
IMO you shouldnt have sludge.......unless it was a really inferior oil that was put in. You did notice any smell, or see a lot of particles in it? If you saved any of the oil, you could get it tested. I would put in a good quality oil and then check it like you said. What kind of filter was on? How did that look? Otherwise, definetly talk to your dealer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
sludge or contaminents? first oil change always looks like crap.....

when i got my mazda i did changes at 2k, then 3k, then every 5k after that for the time i had it (60k)....worst was the first....lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
n08fear said:
Ok i changed my oil for the first time yesterday in my 2.4L 2010 Equinox. I have 3,415 on it when i changed the oil and I noitced that there seemed to be a lot of sludge in the oil should i be concerned??? or is this normal? I am considering changing the oil in about 1,000 miles to see if there is a lot of sludge at 4,415?

Any feed back would be great.
My first 10 equinox oil change (2.4) came out pretty clean at 1000 miles. It has been clean on the next one too.

My 1998 olds silhouette minivan had the sludge like oil on the first change at just under 1000 miles. The color was off too. Subsequent changes were fine and the car still runs like a top 12 years later. It has been a castrol GTX engine only.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My question is what are you describing as "sludge"? It's not unusual for old oil to have contaminates in it, that's why we change it. Sludge would be a thicker, very black material, not simply a slightly different color streak showing up in the oil drain pan. My guess is that's what you are seeing, if so, it's not sludge.

·
0 Posts
RSchleder said:
My question is what are you describing as "sludge"? It's not unusual for old oil to have contaminates in it, that's why we change it. Sludge would be a thicker, very black material, not simply a slightly different color streak showing up in the oil drain pan. My guess is that's what you are seeing, if so, it's not sludge.
I'm going to guess it came out very black......but that does not mean sludge, that is fuel dilution in oil, which is why a gDI engine is hard on oil

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When I changed my oil at around 3k, the oil was SUPER dark but it wasnt sludged at all. Came out runny if anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
the factory oil is full of extra chemical specially formulated for break in. Usually is nasty looking and smelly.
Change the oil in about 1000 miles to make sure you flush all that stuff and use good oil (I don't know if GM has a choice of oil but ford has)

·
Registered
977 Posts
What kind of container did you use? I use a plastic pan that I drain oil into and the oil also absorbs any dirt in the pan (I keep it wrapped in a plastic bag). You could get an oil ananlysis done.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That is an excelent idea. If you are concerned about your oil, get an oil test kit. Amsoil sells one for about $28 including postage. Parts stores may have them also. I use to send one in every other oil change........I was always told I could go longer between changes then what I had beed doing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
oracle said:
the factory oil is full of extra chemical specially formulated for break in. ....
That's exactly the reason to not change it too soon. The 'special' oil it's supposed to do its work, not to be thrown away after 1000 miles!

I think the best choice is to give it time, but not to go all the way with the DIC number. Somewhere in the middle.

PS. My third OnStar report expects the first oil change at 20700 km! I'd be fool to wait so long, but at 5000km the oil looks perfect, so no reason to change it before around 8000km.

·
Registered
297 Posts
JohnEqui said:
That's exactly the reason to not change it too soon. The 'special' oil it's supposed to do its work, not to be thrown away after 1000 miles!

I think the best choice is to give it time, but not to go all the way with the DIC number. Somewhere in the middle.

PS. My third OnStar report expects the first oil change at 20700 km! I'd be fool to wait so long, but at 5000km the oil looks perfect, so no reason to change it before around 8000km.
FWIW, I just read an article in the most recent Popular Mechanics concerning engine break-in. The author suggested an oil change after 20 miles and then again after 1000. I didn't do the 20 mile oil change, but I did do one at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Did mine at 2 months and around 1500 miles. didn't notice any sludge or filings EXECPT 2 tiny ones on the bottom base of the oil filter (This is a 4 cyl). I read that PM article too ;D so I changed it when I did. I would never do at 20 miles. The Nox came with 6 miles on it. Some people say the oil is special. Can you refer us to reference material?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
IceMan, nice report. My omly question is how does Mobil justify their 7500 and 15000 mile oil when they say their regular syn oil is good for more miles then those limits? ;D
I completely agree with them and so does Amsoil. Amsoil goes them one better. They have a 7500 and a 25000/1 year oil. I'm still not comfortable with the 25K oil. I'm quite comfortable with changing oil every 5K to 7K.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
GARYD said:
IceMan, nice report. My omly question is how does Mobil justify their 7500 and 15000 mile oil when they say their regular syn oil is good for more miles then those limits? ;D
I completely agree with them and so does Amsoil. Amsoil goes them one better. They have a 7500 and a 25000/1 year oil. I'm still not comfortable with the 25K oil. I'm quite comfortable with changing oil every 5K to 7K.
GARYD
This article is several years old...and I don't know about certain oil brands "claims". I do know that I have run syn in my Harleys...turbo Solstice...and in my newer Vettes for years(Mobile1 and others). With these vehicles..."independent" tests where investigated on their respective forums and evaluated...beyond..or in spite of a certain sales pitch...even to an anal degree in some respects.
All I do know IS...yes... most folks do have a tendancy to change oil sooner rather than later...even synthetic. It just still makes us feel better...and for many..that's what really seems to count.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You are correct. The one thing that everyone agrees on is that syn oil can double the normal dino oil change interval. Changing at shorter intervals is bad for the environment and the wallet, but like you said, if it makes them feel better to change earlier that's entirely fine with me. It's nice to feel better. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts