GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2012 Terrain earlier this month and have done my first obligatory LED bulb replacement. I think it came out nice. I used white WLED-x6 bulbs from Superbrightleds.com. Pictures make the LED lights look bluer than in person.

I'm not allowed to post pictures or links so I attached them, hope that worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hi ,

excellent mod , replaced licence lamps with cool white 194 leds as well. Just undertaking changing all interior lamps ( footwell, roof console , rear seat dome lamp and cargo area dome) to same cool white leds . Front set done , looks awesome ! no more "yellow" lamps ! Will post pics when done !

ps : watch out for front reading lamps ... they are a bearcat !! be careful and have patience ... and beer ! :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about changing my dome lights as well but from experience it doesn't put out enough light to be very useful. Looks really good though. Since I have a base SLE-1 I don't think I have foot well lighting.

My next project will be to install stealth bulbs in my blinkers and if possible, remove/replace the orange reflectors in the headlights. I would love to have all silver/clear headlights. Not a fan of the orange.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How hard were they to replace, and what number are they?

·
Registered
361 Posts
nice job i might consider those. the inside replacement of lights is far toooo expensive IMHO just to LEDs. i did the footwell mod and my wife was like "so what."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phantm006 said:
How hard were they to replace, and what number are they?
This is probably the easiest thing you will do after taking off your dealership emblem.

Here is a great resource to find out what type of bulb you need on any part of your car. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

This site refers to them as a 2825. Head over to https://www.superbrightleds.com/ and search enter that number in the search box. It will bring up which one of their bulbs can replace that type.

Popping out the lights is as easy as pushing the light cover to the left and prying open with your fingernail (or other small flat object). Twist and pull out the light housing, pull out the wedge bulb, replace with your LED. Push it back in. Repeat.

Takes about 10 min total.

·
Registered
361 Posts
now you guys have me interested. what is the difference between cool white and white? i was in a new dodge a few weeks back and it had all interior led lighting and i dont know the color. i also like the led color in the bmws.

also how could you do puddle lights with leds

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
AMG Eric said:
now you guys have me interested. what is the difference between cool white and white?
Superbrightleds.com is the place to go - good info. there to answer all your questions.
I have all my bulbs in LED inside and out - except for the heads and fogs of course.[/color]

·
Registered
361 Posts
OnxBear said:
Superbrightleds.com is the place to go - good info. there to answer all your questions.
I have all my bulbs in LED inside and out - except for the heads and fogs of course.[/color]
how much for the whole inside? i dont see myself doing tail lights

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
hi ,

whole interior led's = $ 50.00 ... cool white = bright white , white led seems to have slight yellow or maybe natural color . superbrightleds.com
has the colors on their site . Used local supplier for my leds. :cheers:

ps : XUOHTX search : footwell lamps , easy mod as well , my wife said the same as AMG Eric , " oh how nice" I think its a great addition .

·
Registered
361 Posts
bigb12359 said:
hi ,

whole interior led's = $ 50.00 ... cool white = bright white , white led seems to have slight yellow or maybe natural color . superbrightleds.com
has the colors on their site . Used local supplier for my leds. :cheers:

ps : XUOHTX search : footwell lamps , easy mod as well , my wife said the same as AMG Eric , " oh how nice" I think its a great addition .
thx for that info. $50 isnt that hard to swallow.

XUOHTX you must do the footwell mod. it took me about 15 minutes and i totally dig it. do a search there is a whole diy mochanox did.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ok...So if I wanted to do my license plate bulbs but I didnt want it to llook too bright or as close to a factory look. , which bulb do i get? Can someone post a link?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used to be so excited about LED lights years ago, but as time went by, I was just disappointed by the low and fake light output they have to offer, so I am very careful in their application. While LED lights are "cool" to look at, they are still having a hard time putting out the lumens I will expect. The "watt-equivalent" over incandescent, is just not there yet, not to mention the white LEDs are the most "fake" of them all. LED is the future, just not yet, and definitely not from some cheap manufacturers

Here is a very good read on this:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/08/ff_lightbulbs/all/1

·
Registered
7 Posts
LED lighting has come a long way in the past 10 years. Just replacing the stock 194 bulbs with white SMD LEDs and you should have equal, if not better, light output than the stock halogen bulbs.

The "cool white" probably the color you'd want. The "warm white" would be more like the stock lighting color. If they just label it as "white", it's probably the cool white type.

As far as spending $50 for just interior bulbs, I've been there and done that with many vehicles.. Just my .02, but just order them from ebay. They are a whole lot cheaper and I'd bet places like superbrightled or autolumination get them from the same places. For instance, I just picked up my wife a 2012 Terrain SLT-1 with 19" wheels and all options other than the chrome package on new year's eve. Same night I ordered some interior LED bulbs for it, I got 10 bulbs for the total price (shipped) for a whopping $10.28. Pictures of the bulbs are attached. :) From what I looked on sylivania website, seems all the lights are 194's.... But I wonder about the cargo light, but I didn't bother popping the cover off to verify. Fingers are crossed. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
infinitereality said:
From what I looked on sylivania website, seems all the lights are 194's.... But I wonder about the cargo light, but I didn't bother popping the cover off to verify. Fingers are crossed. :)
Cargo light is also a 194[/color]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts